PDA

View Full Version : Application Questions

BrightSparksAdmin
11-28-2007, 12:25 PM
Question from brightsparks user.

Q : I would like to confirm if one student is only allowed to make application to one organisation once only. Is the application deadline for the first phase 30 nov? Would it be more advisable to apply through the first phase even if my prelims results aren't superb, or would it be better to apply only after the A levels results are out next year (does the 2nd phase require prelims results?)? (but either ways, the A Level results will still be taken into consideration right?)

A:

1) Yes, you can only apply once per scholarship. The deadlines all vary though. We will be putting them up on BrightSparks where possible soon.
2) If you are very sure which organization you want to to work for., then it imakes sense to apply early.
3) Then depends on how strong a candidate you are when you apply? If you think you are strong based on prelim and CCA, then by all means apply. If not, maybe waiting for that good A level results will be better.
4) For phase 1 , if you are offered, it will be a provisional offer based on some minimum A level grade. So yes, A levels do matter still.

koo86
01-08-2008, 01:56 AM
My poly friend recently attain a DSTA scholarship and according to him during the presentation ceremony, there were apparently less poly students receiving the scholarship awards than jc students, is it a case that jc students do have an upper hand in getting scholarships over their poly counter-parts ? the statistics of companies like IDA , DSTA and A*star also revealed that the majority of overseas scholarships are given to jc students rather than poly students. So is there a preference for jc students over poly students for the companies ?

BrightSparksAdmin
01-08-2008, 11:02 AM
I think you answered your own question already. However, as poly students get stronger and as the experience of scholarship providers get better with them, it is logical that there will be more and more being awarded scholarships.

algoh
01-26-2008, 02:39 PM
My poly friend recently attain a DSTA scholarship and according to him during the presentation ceremony, there were apparently less poly students receiving the scholarship awards than jc students, is it a case that jc students do have an upper hand in getting scholarships over their poly counter-parts ? the statistics of companies like IDA , DSTA and A*star also revealed that the majority of overseas scholarships are given to jc students rather than poly students. So is there a preference for jc students over poly students for the companies ?

hey koo86, can you help me ask your friend about the DSTA Assessment Centre? What is it about?

koo86
01-29-2008, 02:06 AM
Hey algoh sorry for the late reply, I'm not in Singapore right now. Anyways
according to my friend, this assessment thing by DSTA is actually a kind of like a simulation test that u have to sit through before the interview. It puts u in a real life situation as if u are part of the DSTA team. For e.g. my friend had this scenario where he had already gotten the scholarship and it's his first day on the job, he had to filter through emails about certain problems pertaining to a project that he is working on and then try replying to these emails. All these are done in a simulated environment, where DSTA i think are assessing certain critical skills of yours. So yeah....i hope this reply helps, any more qns u can still pm me. gd luck !

algoh
02-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Hey algoh sorry for the late reply, I'm not in Singapore right now. Anyways
according to my friend, this assessment thing by DSTA is actually a kind of like a simulation test that u have to sit through before the interview. It puts u in a real life situation as if u are part of the DSTA team. For e.g. my friend had this scenario where he had already gotten the scholarship and it's his first day on the job, he had to filter through emails about certain problems pertaining to a project that he is working on and then try replying to these emails. All these are done in a simulated environment, where DSTA i think are assessing certain critical skills of yours. So yeah....i hope this reply helps, any more qns u can still pm me. gd luck !

hey koo86,
Thanks so much for the reply, although it came a little too late: I received it after I attended the assessment centre =P Nevertheless, it was nice of you to reply. All the best to you too! =)

linhdang
07-21-2011, 09:17 PM
hi :) is there a quota for the number of scholarships we are applying for? Would it reflect badly of us if we apply for many scholarships at the same time (like so kiatsu hahaha)? And say if we are asked what other scholarships we apply for during the first round interview, is it advisable to honestly tell them all? Tks :D

And er another question, since I have not been to a scholarship interview before, what kind of questions would interviewers ask and expect from the candidates? Really appreciate if you can share your experiences, tks loads :)