PDA

View Full Version : Engineering 2nd Class Lower employability

hannyboi
07-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Hi

Would like to ask any seniors out there or any people working already, esp those with 2nd class lower in B.Eng.

Is it hard to find jobs with a 2nd class lower in engine, in particular chem eng? in addition, what kind of value-add must i have in uni other than academia to make up for the lack of academic competence (i.e 2nd upper and above)

Anyway, does having a minor useful? i.e minor in econs? or in general, do u think employers look at minor

zhjjhz888
07-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Hi

Would like to ask any seniors out there or any people working already, esp those with 2nd class lower in B.Eng.

Is it hard to find jobs with a 2nd class lower in engine, in particular chem eng? in addition, what kind of value-add must i have in uni other than academia to make up for the lack of academic competence (i.e 2nd upper and above)

Anyway, does having a minor useful? i.e minor in econs? or in general, do u think employers look at minor

It ll be harder. Some jobs require good hons . (i.e. 2nd upper n above)
Some companies also look at class of hons to filter out ppl when there are too many applications.

But if you keep trying to sell yourself in resume and interviews you will find a job esp after most of the 2nd upper n 1st class already started working/offered.
:D

hannyboi
07-17-2010, 12:28 AM
erm like that kind of jobs? government or private sector?

actually i would like to venture into the pharmaceutical area, in particular in tuas biomedical park...do you think its suffice for 2nd lower? and is the pay gd?

but what if i showed significant leadership in 1 cca (pres) but got a 2nd class lower compared to some other person who has a 2nd class upper and has no cca. i'm not comparing wif 2nd class lower and 1st class though, coz the answer will be quite obvious.

It ll be harder. Some jobs require good hons . (i.e. 2nd upper n above)
Some companies also look at class of hons to filter out ppl when there are too many applications.

But if you keep trying to sell yourself in resume and interviews you will find a job esp after most of the 2nd upper n 1st class already started working/offered.
:D

zhjjhz888
07-18-2010, 12:54 AM
erm like that kind of jobs? government or private sector?

actually i would like to venture into the pharmaceutical area, in particular in tuas biomedical park...do you think its suffice for 2nd lower? and is the pay gd?

but what if i showed significant leadership in 1 cca (pres) but got a 2nd class lower compared to some other person who has a 2nd class upper and has no cca. i'm not comparing wif 2nd class lower and 1st class though, coz the answer will be quite obvious.

well some govt positions and private sector mgmt trainees req good hons explicitly.

it really depends on the coy hr policy. But the class of hons is an easy way to filter out ppl when there r tonnes of applications. They might not have time to go through your cca records. But once at interviews stage it all depends on your performance on the spot. :)