PDA

View Full Version : Business vs Economics degree

Irenicis
08-09-2010, 04:49 PM
what are the different career prospects between the above mentioned degrees? can anyone enlighten me on this please? thank you! :)

Haecceity
08-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Both study rather different things!

A business degree would cover things like marketing, public relations, and management - basically, the different facets of how a business works. In contrast, economics would study how/why markets work as they do, like how a change in the market would affect the size/movement of the market.

So a business major would be able to go into jobs like public relations and human resource management, while an economics major would be better suited to things like market analysis.

(Or that's what I understand the difference to be.:) Hope this helps!)

creshia
08-11-2010, 07:13 PM
I think Haecceity got the gist of it. However i think that both are general degrees that does not directly lead to any career track. And of course many graduates work in fields that are unrelated to their area of study.

A business degree mainly entails courses on the different business functions (marketing, finance, human resource, IT etc) that are common to most medium/large business entities across different industries. I would guess that many business graduates would want to focus on a specific business function after graduation.

For economics graduate, career choice that is most relevant to the discipline would be economists or the various analysts roles in banks. But I am sure that such jobs is very limited and many others have chosen jobs that are not not related to their area of study.

I am eager to hear if others have any opinions on this as well.

Irenicis
08-11-2010, 10:33 PM
i was thinking whether i can study economics and then do business related jobs like operations manager or anywhere in the management level.

Haecceity
08-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Theoretically, a university education should train you to be able to do management jobs. And like creshia has mentioned, your job does not need to be related to your degree. Although, I think that to be considered for a management level job, you wouldn't be a fresh graduate any more, and work experience would be more important.