PDA

View Full Version : Some doubts to clear.

lemonteh
08-21-2010, 02:59 AM
Hi. My main interests are social services and chinese linguistics.

Nonetheless, many would say that social work carries a lower pay than most jobs and it involves a lot of patience and enthusiasm. I'm also told that i will probably not be able to excel in CL as much as the other students from China/Taiwan/HK etc as their chinese is probably more proficient than mine which means that my chances of getting Honours is slightly lower?

but i still feel that what matters most is whether i like what i am doing though i'm still unsure about which is my main interest. I guess what i should do is to focus on my As now and then get myself involved in social services and give chinese tuition next year during the 8 months of vacation after As to get a clearer view of what i want to do?

Any opinions to share? Thanks.

Anyway, is it true that it ultimately depends very much on our characteristics and passion for a job that determines how far we can go regardless of which degree we take? Heh.

Haecceity
08-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Nonetheless, many would say that social work carries a lower pay than most jobs and it involves a lot of patience and enthusiasm. I'm also told that i will probably not be able to excel in CL as much as the other students from China/Taiwan/HK etc as their chinese is probably more proficient than mine which means that my chances of getting Honours is slightly lower?

Key word there: "probably". They may have a natural advantage at first, but I'm sure if you work hard, you'll be able to catch up.

but i still feel that what matters most is whether i like what i am doing though i'm still unsure about which is my main interest. I guess what i should do is to focus on my As now and then get myself involved in social services and give chinese tuition next year during the 8 months of vacation after As to get a clearer view of what i want to do?

Yes, I agree with that. Focus on the As first, especially if you're a J2 student now. It'll help to keep your options open for when you apply to university.

Anyway, is it true that it ultimately depends very much on our characteristics and passion for a job that determines how far we can go regardless of which degree we take? Heh.

Ultimately - you mean in the long run? Work experience starts to count after a while, so yes, I would say that passion for the job and personal characteristics would be important.

Also, I would like to say that it's great that you already have an idea of what you want to do in life by now. :) Just be careful that what your impression of the job is accurate - which is why you should do that work experience. (It'll be kind of sad if you study for three/four years and find that it is not what you expected.)

Good luck!

lemonteh
08-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Okay.
Thanks a lot!
Okay. I'll read the course contents and ask around about the courses when i have the time after As heh :D