PDA

View Full Version : too old to study full time?

TheAnonymous
09-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Hello all, I'm currently 23 this year and working, since ORD on 2009. Due to family matters I went to work with my diploma, but now things are getting better, I wish to continue studying. If I were to apply for ntu, I would be enrolling next year when i'm 24.

so my question is, should I just pursue a part time private degree, or should I enter ntu at the age of 24 full time? Because it seems to be abit late to go full time in a local uni at the age of 24...

Haecceity
09-01-2010, 12:01 PM
I don't think you're too old to study full time. There will be a few graduate students studying your course along with you (or at least there are, for me) - so you definitely won't be too old, don't worry! If you can make it into a public uni (cheaper too), you should take it up. :D

TheAnonymous
09-01-2010, 12:08 PM
thank you so much for your advice =) i was offered a slot before from ntu...but didnt accept it due to financial issues. but since stepping out to the working society, 24 seems so old to study alr! haah....

LockT31W
09-01-2010, 01:21 PM
It's never too late. At least you're 24 - I know one guy who started his law degree at 27. You're only going to get older, so it's better to start now than later or never. Next year you'll be thinking: I'm 25 now, I wish I started at 24.

How do you define "late"? Is your fear that you'll be looked down upon or differently because you'd be the oldest undergraduate? Is it about money? It's likely that your lifetime earnings would be much higher with an NTU degree than a part-time degree, depending on your profession, even if you start working later. But of course this depends on your profession.

Ashearo
09-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Felicia Chin just started studying full time at NUS..and in Europe, its not uncommon to study full time at a later age to pursue degrees in different areas of interest. I have a friend who's grandmother became a qualified doctor at 60 years old.

Its never too late :)

TheAnonymous
09-01-2010, 08:12 PM
woah....all the replies are from moderators...haha guess most of the normal members here are much younger so dont know what to advise! =) but nevertheless, thanks for the encouragement and advice from the moderators!

i hope i'll still be getting the slot next year !

jimjoker1
09-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Felicia Chin just started studying full time at NUS..and in Europe, its not uncommon to study full time at a later age to pursue degrees in different areas of interest. I have a friend who's grandmother became a qualified doctor at 60 years old.

Its never too late :)

what is felicia chin studying in nus ?

TheAnonymous
09-01-2010, 09:51 PM
what is felicia chin studying in nus ?

just google felicia chin i'm sure you can find the answer

pokerface
09-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Hello all, I'm currently 23 this year and working, since ORD on 2009. Due to family matters I went to work with my diploma, but now things are getting better, I wish to continue studying. If I were to apply for ntu, I would be enrolling next year when i'm 24.

so my question is, should I just pursue a part time private degree, or should I enter ntu at the age of 24 full time? Because it seems to be abit late to go full time in a local uni at the age of 24...

TS, no worries! You're not alone in this because I'll be commencing my undergrad studies in either NUS or Uni of Melbourne when I'm turning 24 too. :)

Ashearo
09-01-2010, 11:08 PM
She is in NUS biz sch. And actually the moderators are about the same age as most of the forum users.. just that it is now a relatively 'low' period and the forums are quieter. :)

Good luck to you anonymous!

TheAnonymous
09-01-2010, 11:30 PM
TS, no worries! You're not alone in this because I'll be commencing my undergrad studies in either NUS or Uni of Melbourne when I'm turning 24 too. :)

wow hi^5 there? haha did you went to work or something as well?

pokerface
09-02-2010, 12:48 PM
wow hi^5 there? haha did you went to work or something as well?

Hah no. I messed up my post-secondary education route, hence getting delayed. Lol.

takiamru
09-02-2010, 11:36 PM
i'm 24 this year.by the time i graduate from ITE,i'm 25.Unlike you,i screwed up my ITE results at 20.Then I enlisted army and ORD at 22.Although before i ORD,i already made up my mind to study back ITE,go poly and eventually Uni.but my ORD is two months after the sch commencement.Then i took a year of work while waiting for the next commencement.When I finally did,i'm 23.

recently,i can feel my family's financial strains.Deep regrets as to why i didn't do my previous ITE cerf properly when i should be in Poly right now.That is why i'm working so hard for a scholarhship to ease their burdens.
If i'm to reach my target of a first class honours degree,i'll be at the age of 31.

If your situation is late,what about mine? :(

TheAnonymous
09-03-2010, 12:05 AM
i'm 24 this year.by the time i graduate from ITE,i'm 25.Unlike you,i screwed up my ITE results at 20.Then I enlisted army and ORD at 22.Although before i ORD,i already made up my mind to study back ITE,go poly and eventually Uni.but my ORD is two months after the sch commencement.Then i took a year of work while waiting for the next commencement.When I finally did,i'm 23.

recently,i can feel my family's financial strains.Deep regrets as to why i didn't do my previous ITE cerf properly when i should be in Poly right now.That is why i'm working so hard for a scholarhship to ease their burdens.
If i'm to reach my target of a first class honours degree,i'll be at the age of 31.

If your situation is late,what about mine? :(

thumbs up to you...never giving up your ambition and goals even meeting so much obstacles. Lets work hard towards our goal!