PDA

View Full Version : Which college to study Economics in?

highwind
09-08-2010, 03:09 PM
10 characters

Butterbeer
09-08-2010, 10:06 PM
when it comes to college selection, many factors play a part:

1. physical environment: city? rural? suburban? diversity? abundance of entertainment? weather?

2. campus environment: rustic? new? connected to city? big? small?

3. special progs offered? e.g. Chicago and Columbia's core curriculum, Yale's Directed Studies, Penn's Wharton and Huntsman program, etc.

4. school culture (not exactly something you can pinpoint but just the impression you get from their viewbooks, student profiles, student interviews, website material)

to me, some schools appeal to me more than others partly due to intuitive reasons. you just feel an inclination towards that school and the atmosphere and culture that it promotes. for e.g. chicago gives me the impression that it celebrates the esoteric and the wacky, while mit gives me the impression that i would meet people that may give a nerdy vibe, yet turn out to be excellent engineers or entrepreneurs.

given that all these schools adopt the liberal arts approach, i don't think choosing a particular school for its significant edge in economics over the others is a very impt criteria. you should consider the school as a whole, more than just the course.

Run
09-10-2010, 05:51 AM
Yeah. I agree. But I am very puzzled over one thing. That is, among so many fantastic choices for colleges, a significant percentage of the people seem to know which college is just the right thing for them.

Or is it my misperception?

Btw, with regards to all the above criteria, is there a website or articles that compares the strength and weakness of each college? Sorry for being so ill-informed. :)

Personally, I like to look at rankings by the Princeton Review on the non-academic aspects of college, although those are highly subjective. I don't think there are any academic "weaknesses" at the colleges you mentioned, from what I understand (which might be wrong). Is there anything else you are looking for in a college, i.e. what is important to you in a college education?

Butterbeer
09-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Yeah. I agree. But I am very puzzled over one thing. That is, among so many fantastic choices for colleges, a significant percentage of the people seem to know which college is just the right thing for them.

Or is it my misperception?

I don't think many actually do have an actual ideal college in mind, in the sense that they would only want to go to this college and the other colleges far fall short.

One can like different schools for different reasons. So do consider a general range of schools that you are interested in or intrigued by, then go to their websites to see if they reinforce your impression or make you have a different pespective on what the college can offer.

Also, it would not be good to be too fixated on wanting that ideal college, if that college is one that is hypercompetitive, since it means that you may not be inclined to put sufficient effort into making sure that the applications for your other coleges (which may not be bad choices at all) are up to standard.

patryn33
09-17-2010, 04:52 AM
no way to find ideal college. no 2 person going thru the same college would have the same experience too.

there is just too many factors.
- should U choose to stay close doors and not interact with others, your experience maybe bad, even all reviews are good.
- for some sad reason or bad karma your classmates/dorm mates/room mate are not your type can be a factor.

just go with 1 U think U will enjoy the experience.

Run
09-18-2010, 02:32 AM
Apply to all of the colleges that you mentioned, then choose the one you think you like best, in terms of environment, research opportunities, faculty, etc. I'm sure that if you graduate from any one of them (assuming you get a decent GPA and CV), there wouldn't be any differences in your post-graduation prospects. :)