PDA

View Full Version : Chance me Please!

02-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Hi, I finished my A levels in 2009 and obtained the following results: I got an A in H1 econs, Bs for the rest of my subjects and a C for H2 Physics.

In JC I had 3 CCAs. Bowling, Entrepreneurial Club and Cultural. I represented my school in bowling tournaments. As for the entrepreneurial club and cultural CCA, I was an ordinary member. I also achieved the NYAA (Gold) award, and did numerous hours of community service during my time in sec school and JC. Now I'm in national service. I can get recommendation letters from school. I'm also thinking of getting recommendation letters from my army camp supervisor for my leadership skills.

For my SATs I got a 580(CR), 770(M), 660(W). I wanna apply to the following universities for engineering. Do you think I stand a chance for any one of them? Oh, Please tell me! Thank you.

1. Purdue University
2. University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
3. University of Massachusetts
4. University of Minnesota
5. University of Michigan Ann-Arbor
6. University of Wisconsin
7. Ohio State University
8. University of California Santa Barbara

mengshuen
02-07-2011, 08:49 PM
I see that you're applying to state universities. The thing about state universities is that they are more numbers-oriented, so your CCA representations weigh less when compared to the private universities.

Recommendation letters are always good, but keep to a maximum of three.

A 'C' in H2 Physics doesn't look good when you're applying to engineering courses. Try taking the SAT II in Physics and Math?

For Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin, your chances are probably not too high. For the rest, if you have your SAT CR to more than 650, I think you'd get in, but it's still a bit iffy.

02-08-2011, 06:49 AM
I see that you're applying to state universities. The thing about state universities is that they are more numbers-oriented, so your CCA representations weigh less when compared to the private universities.

Recommendation letters are always good, but keep to a maximum of three.

A 'C' in H2 Physics doesn't look good when you're applying to engineering courses. Try taking the SAT II in Physics and Math?

For Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin, your chances are probably not too high. For the rest, if you have your SAT CR to more than 650, I think you'd get in, but it's still a bit iffy.

For Purdue, though these are the statistics:

Percent of Applicants Admitted: 73%
Test Scores -- 25th / 75th Percentile
SAT Critical Reading: 500 / 610
SAT Math: 540 / 670
SAT Writing: 490 / 600

Do I still have to get above 650 for CR given the high percentage of applicants admitted. Also for University of Illinois the percentage of applicants admitted is around 65%.

Percent of Applicants Admitted: 65%
SAT Critical Reading: 540 / 660
SAT Math: 660 / 770
SAT Writing: - / -

mengshuen
02-08-2011, 09:10 AM
It appears that I've been a bit too harsh about the 650 on CR, but as things go, a 650 score will only be of positive help to you.

Note that you're applying to state universities. By regulations, they have to accept a certain percentage of in-state kids, or accept them if they score above a certain GPA or if they graduate in the top x% in class/school/state. By such measures, you're bound to have lower posted SAT scores. However, as an international student, you'd have to compete for admissions among the internationals, which is usually more competitive.

Also, if you take a look at their average GPAs, they're still quite high. 3.5 and above, usually. I know it's not exactly comparable, but it gives you a perspective of where you stand.

Also, for the schools that don't use SAT2 scores at all, it is difficult to prove your mathematics and physics abilities. That's why I suggested a 650 in CR to improve your chances (putting you higher than the 75th percentile).

mozbi
02-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Mich and UIUC are two of the best engineering schools in the US and considering you scored a C for physics and a mediocre overall score, you're definitely not going to be able to count on your As. Therefore I suggest you retake your SAT1 and try your best for a 700 CR score( which most Mich applicants have). If you're looking at Mich/UIUC's engineering you should take the SAT2s ( preferably math & physics), even though they are optional and try to score well for them which shouldn't be a problem for A level students. Also, get your teachers to write you good recommendations and work hard on your essays.

mozbi
02-10-2011, 02:41 PM
I apologize for clearly missing out on the other universities you've listed but here are my thoughts on your chances for the schools you've listed down:

1. Purdue University (match)
2. University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (reach)
3. University of Massachusetts ( safety )
4. University of Minnesota ( safety )
5. University of Michigan Ann-Arbor (reach)
6. University of Wisconsin (reach)
7. Ohio State University (match)
8. University of California Santa Barbara (match)

p.s Massachusetts and Minnesota each has 4 and 5 schools respectively but they're generally quite easy to get in.

02-11-2011, 05:51 PM
wow thanks guys that was really informative. Ok, so now I've decided to retake the SAT in May. Aiming for 2100 and above. with a score of around 650 plus/minus 10/20 for Critical Reading. I think that's the best I can hope to get for Critical Reading, given my low aptitude in that section.

I'm seriously considering taking the SAT Subject tests too. Do y'all think I'll stand a chance for UIUC engineering if I score 2100 for my SAT and I score well for my subject tests?

And I plan to apply for UIUC through early decision for Chemical Engineering. Failing which, hopefully I get into Purdue or UCSB. What do y'all think?

02-11-2011, 06:00 PM
wow thanks guys that was really informative. Ok, so now I've decided to retake the SAT in May. Aiming for 2100 and above. with a score of around 650 plus/minus 10/20 for Critical Reading. I think that's the best I can hope to get for Critical Reading, given my low aptitude in that section.

I'm seriously considering taking the SAT Subject tests too. Do y'all think I'll stand a chance for UIUC engineering if I score 2100 for my SAT and I score well for my subject tests?

And I plan to apply for UIUC through early decision for Chemical Engineering. Failing which, hopefully I get into Purdue or UCSB. What do y'all think?

02-11-2011, 10:59 PM
I apologize for clearly missing out on the other universities you've listed but here are my thoughts on your chances for the schools you've listed down:

1. Purdue University (match)
2. University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (reach)
3. University of Massachusetts ( safety )
4. University of Minnesota ( safety )
5. University of Michigan Ann-Arbor (reach)
6. University of Wisconsin (reach)
7. Ohio State University (match)
8. University of California Santa Barbara (match)

p.s Massachusetts and Minnesota each has 4 and 5 schools respectively but they're generally quite easy to get in.

ohh and I thought UCSB wasn't a match for me. Cause UCSB accepts only 49% of all applicants. Here is how UCSB places in terms of SAT scores

Percent of Applicants Admitted: 49%
SAT Critical Reading: 520 / 640
SAT Math: 540 / 660
SAT Writing: 530 / 650

mengshuen
02-12-2011, 12:56 PM
The percentage of acceptance doesn't exactly correlate with your chances of getting in, i.e. there isn't much difference between a college with 50% acceptance rate and one with 75%. As you go up the scale, you'd see some schools which reject over 85% of their applicants... and yes, in those cases they're hard to get in. Don't worry about the rates of UCSB :)

02-12-2011, 01:09 PM
The percentage of acceptance doesn't exactly correlate with your chances of getting in, i.e. there isn't much difference between a college with 50% acceptance rate and one with 75%. As you go up the scale, you'd see some schools which reject over 85% of their applicants... and yes, in those cases they're hard to get in. Don't worry about the rates of UCSB :)

But then a college with a 50% acceptance rate, accepts 50% of all applicants. UMich for example. It's a great university for engineering. So is UIUC. Hence if I'm applying for engineering I'd try UIUC instead cause UIUC has a 65% acceptance rate. I think you're referring to the course in the university. Each course has specific acceptance rates in each university. I'm gonna have to check that out.

mengshuen, do you think I have a shot at UCSB given my grades?

mengshuen
02-12-2011, 02:17 PM
But then a college with a 50% acceptance rate, accepts 50% of all applicants. UMich for example. It's a great university for engineering. So is UIUC. Hence if I'm applying for engineering I'd try UIUC instead cause UIUC has a 65% acceptance rate. I think you're referring to the course in the university. Each course has specific acceptance rates in each university. I'm gonna have to check that out.

mengshuen, do you think I have a shot at UCSB given my grades?
I know there is a difference between the numbers of applicants accepted, but what I'm saying is that this difference is a poor predictor of your chances of getting in. You should always use percentage admitted together with GPA and SAT scores as a better gauge.

I agree with the previous poster that UCSB might be a match, but because I don't have friends from there, I cannot really comment on it, although it looks like a match.

02-13-2011, 02:29 PM
Hmm Umich has early action apparently. And there's this guy I know that got in with a SAT score of 2000. I think I shall try UMich too and see if I get in. UMich also has non-restrictive Early Action.

02-27-2011, 01:33 PM
I have a query. Actually I've already done my SAT and I'm not sure if I should send it to the universities before sending my application or with the actual application itself. Please enlighten me! Thank YOU!

mengshuen
02-27-2011, 08:41 PM
I have a query. Actually I've already done my SAT and I'm not sure if I should send it to the universities before sending my application or with the actual application itself. Please enlighten me! Thank YOU!
I thought you'd need to send your SAT scores through CollegeBoard?

02-27-2011, 08:56 PM
I thought you'd need to send your SAT scores through CollegeBoard?

yeah i understand. But should I send it in months before the actual application itself? Cause i've already done the SAT. And applications for unis are sometime around august/september. Should I send it through collegeboard around the time I send in my application or can I send it in now itself?

mengshuen
02-28-2011, 12:17 AM
Yeah you can send it now, it doesn't matter. :)

mortpenguin
02-28-2011, 05:03 PM
yeah i understand. But should I send it in months before the actual application itself? Cause i've already done the SAT. And applications for unis are sometime around august/september. Should I send it through collegeboard around the time I send in my application or can I send it in now itself?

Yes you can send your scores now. I believe your scores will be stored in a database, such that when the college receives your application they can refer to your saved data to process.

02-28-2011, 07:08 PM
oh good! Thanks for the info :)

06-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Bump...Just another query. With my results, do ya'll think i stand a chance at UCLA?

Hi, I finished my A levels in 2009 and obtained the following results: I got an A in H1 econs, Bs for the rest of my subjects and a C for H2 Physics.

In JC I had 3 CCAs. Bowling, Entrepreneurial Club and Cultural. I represented my school in bowling tournaments. As for the entrepreneurial club and cultural CCA, I was an ordinary member. I also achieved the NYAA (Gold) award, and did numerous hours of community service during my time in sec school and JC. Now I'm in national service. I can get recommendation letters from school. I'm also thinking of getting recommendation letters from my army camp supervisor for my leadership skills.

For my SATs I got a 580(CR), 770(M), 660(W). I wanna apply to the following universities for a course in mathematics. Do you think I stand a chance for any one of them? Oh, Please tell me! Thank you.

eho
06-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Bump...Just another query. With my results, do ya'll think i stand a chance at UCLA?

For my SATs I got a 580(CR), 770(M), 660(W). I wanna apply to the following universities for a course in mathematics. Do you think I stand a chance for any one of them? Oh, Please tell me! Thank you.

In my opinion you stand a weak chance because of your academics. If you are applying to UCLA, most accepted students are of straight As calibre and with SAT 1 in the range of 2100s.

Your CCA achievements are fine but there will be applicants matching your CCA achievements and with much better academics who will snag the offer.

06-12-2011, 10:59 PM
They also look at O Level Grades right. I got

English: A2
History Elective: A2
E-Math: A1
A-Math: A2
Physics: B3
Chemistry: B3
MT: A2

And besides I think the selections vary by course..

boucy
06-12-2011, 11:28 PM

I am just curious why wasnt UNC , indiana bloomington , rutgers and washington within your choices? fit the school profiles you selected initially

06-12-2011, 11:52 PM
I am just curious why wasnt UNC , indiana bloomington , rutgers and washington within your choices? fit the school profiles you selected initially

sorry, are u saying that my grades fit the profiles of UNC,Indiana,rutgers and washington?

Well, I just think the UCs(like UCLA and UCSB) will be better for the course I wanna major in. Mathematics. I'm also considering UIUC. Would UIUC be a safety/match/reach for me though?

eho
06-13-2011, 12:21 AM

Unfortunately, these don't grades don't really help you much with your application.

boucy
06-13-2011, 12:22 AM
I meant those school is a "fit" with those you chosen with your initial post.

If math you might wanna consider Penn State too:) UIUC would be a minor reach i guess. But a good probably chance.

anyway which intake are you applying for?

p.s from what i heard rutgers have an excellent math programm

boucy
06-13-2011, 12:26 AM
i just did a quick goggle

math ranking for grad sch. Maybe representative for undergrad program

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-science-schools/mathematics-rankings/page+2

Looks like Indiana etc is slightly better ranked then some UC you have chosen.

06-14-2011, 07:30 PM
wow thanks. I think University of Washington is also great for the course I want. Based on the rankings of course..

boucy
06-14-2011, 08:30 PM
No problem , do read up more on these uni to make your choices

anyway your applying to 2012 intake?

06-14-2011, 10:04 PM
yeah i am :) It's really tough making Uni choices. Apart from that, all the worrying that I may not be good enough and the Uni won't accept me and all is like constantly going through my mind. :confused:

But at the same time it's so exciting. The prospect of starting afresh and everything. Going back to school. It's relli exciting. Especially since I'm serving NS right now. Can't wait for it to be over! Honestly. 8 1/2 more months! :)

eho
06-14-2011, 11:56 PM
yeah i am :) It's really tough making Uni choices. Apart from that, all the worrying that I may not be good enough and the Uni won't accept me and all is like constantly going through my mind. :confused:

But at the same time it's so exciting. The prospect of starting afresh and everything. Going back to school. It's relli exciting. Especially since I'm serving NS right now. Can't wait for it to be over! Honestly. 8 1/2 more months! :)

haha understand that feeling. been through it ;)

boucy
06-15-2011, 12:21 AM

We all know how that feels:) anyway do apply early , i dont really trust the postal system. Singpost lost my registered mail a few times containing my transcript

your result aint to bad , even the harder schools would be a near reach , so dont worry so much

anyway how come u choose the states? did you consider the uk?

06-15-2011, 06:57 AM
haha well, not really. cause I heard that UK just looks at the grades and decides right. US universities however look at the complete package. And the thing is, I kind of fall behind in the grades department. Plus, there are not that many UK universities that are good in the physical sciences, after the unreachable, cambridge,oxford & imperial. I just downloaded the University of Edinburgh prospectus though..gonna look through it...

boucy
06-15-2011, 03:20 PM
I am slightly confused u want to major in math or physical science?
if math kent sussex york etc may fit your grade profile and its not bad unis either.

06-15-2011, 04:25 PM
I am slightly confused u want to major in math or physical science?
if math kent sussex york etc may fit your grade profile and its not bad unis either.

oh, right! I was thinking that math was a physical science all along. oops sry, haha. my bad! how about university of Manchester?

boucy
06-15-2011, 06:19 PM
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Mathematics

look at entry standard for ucas tariffs. The good think for A levels when applying for UK is that the result are very clearcut on the entry.

US need alot more research imo.

06-16-2011, 07:43 PM
I went to some of the UK university websites and check the entry requirements. However, most of them cite a typical A level offer as AAA or AAB etc. Is this for the British A levels or for all types of A levels?

boucy
06-16-2011, 10:33 PM
AAA is 360 points

BBB is 300 points

CCC is 240 points , about there at least , different school seek different combo

Some take in more subject diploma etc. U have to check their website. Google is your friend. Like cambridge is 500+ points for their average students
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/key/
Explanation of the entry standard.

It is said that for international student is slightly more relax as you do not compete places with the locals. which perhaps explain a different UCAS search for INT

While for US do email indv school some allow O level which would help you.

eho
06-17-2011, 12:08 AM
I went to some of the UK university websites and check the entry requirements. However, most of them cite a typical A level offer as AAA or AAB etc. Is this for the British A levels or for all types of A levels?

They refer to the A Levels taken in the UK. Please note that the standard of the papers we take in Singapore are very different and often very much tougher. They are not exactly equivalent.

eho
06-17-2011, 12:09 AM
AAA is 360 points

BBB is 300 points

CCC is 240 points , about there at least , different school seek different combo

Some take in more subject diploma etc. U have to check their website. Google is your friend. Like cambridge is 500+ points for their average students
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/key/
Explanation of the entry standard.

It is said that for international student is slightly more relax as you do not compete places with the locals. which perhaps explain a different UCAS search for INT

While for US do email indv school some allow O level which would help you.

The tariff system does not apply to Singapore A levels at all. So we can actually ignore it. Our A levels are of different standards in the first place.

boucy
06-17-2011, 08:30 AM
The tariff system does not apply to Singapore A levels at all. So we can actually ignore it. Our A levels are of different standards in the first place.

true ours is harder

but is still taking theirs as a guide

06-18-2011, 10:57 PM
that's really useful. thanks for all the information! :D I'll probably apply for some UK unis as well. Nth to lose anyway. I'm also looking at U of Toronto.

boucy
06-19-2011, 06:37 PM
No problem:) anyway i think your stats would have a better chance at US university(result vs prestige of uni)

but still do look at other options and consider other state school like Florida university etc. dont limit yourself

Introverted.
06-23-2011, 09:05 PM
i am gonna hijack this thread. >=)
but really we need these consolidated threads.

chance me too please :)

from the recent june 4th SAT i got:
CR:760
M:800
W:570 :'(
superscoring would give me a 630 in writing from a test i took 3 years back.

SAT IIs:
Math II: 780
Physics: 800

A levels:
H2 Physics: A
H2 Math: A
H2 Chemistry: B
H1 Econs: C
PW: C
GP: B

in JC i was an ordinary member in fencing. i represented my school at national level in fencing tounaments, managing 2 team silvers plus a top 8 finish in singles. i also managed a top 64 finish in a regional fencing tournament in selangor. i participated in various community service projects including an overseas trip to malaysia and helped out for a charitable concert not organized by my school. i probably will be able to get referrals from my teachers but my home tutor has a penchant for being honest: she included a line that implied i needed to improve my attitude in my school testimonial(which is probably true).

in secondary school i was head of the administrative portfolio for my UG and participated in an overseas community service project in nepal.

in national service i dropped out of command school(sispec) due to injury. i can probably get a glowing testimonial from my current direct superior(cause he'll ask me to write it myself)

i am thinking of applying to the following universities for computer engineering or its quivalent:

University of Michigan, Ann-Arbor
University of California, Los Angeles
University of California, San Diego
Purdue

im also considering cornell and UIUC. ill probably throw an application at berkeley too since it was the dream.

i tried looking at LACs too but i didnt really find one that offered what i wanted.

boucy
06-24-2011, 09:13 AM
As i was scrolling down US new ranking , do also consider Uni of Washington , UNC and university of Maryland. Which are decent choices with your stats. But do note those are grad school ranking.

Gauging from your SAT , The schools your targeted should not be a problem , there is no far reach.

However as for your As , it depends . I have heard people at forum talking about how come school uses O level as a entry and A level more like an bonus and as AP for exemption. Like to my knowledge Mich accepts the O (bang ball i know).
On the flipside some school like UCB , require As for freshmen entry. But realistic speaking even if school does take O level , but there two candidate with similar profile but one with As one with Os. I am sure it is quite obvious which one would be chosen .Cornell would also be a very far reach , unless you dont mind loosing the application fee , then go ahead. The other UCs should have a fair shot , had a friend who got admitted to UCLA with similar result

Mich entry requirement
http://www.admissions.umich.edu/intl/requirements.php#british

p.s do also consult patryn33 if i remember right he is working in an similar field , he should be able to give a deeper insight

Introverted.
06-24-2011, 10:42 PM
thanks again. what about UIUC and maybe University of texas?

the personal statements are mind boggling :(

06-25-2011, 02:31 PM
f*** my June SAT scores are in. I scored,

Math level 1: 730
Math level 2: 790
Physics: 660

I knew I should have done the SAT subject tests right after As. urgh. I don't think I'm gonna even bother sending in my math level 1 and physics scores..

eho
06-25-2011, 06:35 PM
i am gonna hijack this thread. >=)
but really we need these consolidated threads.

chance me too please :)

from the recent june 4th SAT i got:
CR:760
M:800
W:570 :'(
superscoring would give me a 630 in writing from a test i took 3 years back.

SAT IIs:
Math II: 780
Physics: 800

A levels:
H2 Physics: A
H2 Math: A
H2 Chemistry: B
H1 Econs: C
PW: C
GP: B

in JC i was an ordinary member in fencing. i represented my school at national level in fencing tounaments, managing 2 team silvers plus a top 8 finish in singles. i also managed a top 64 finish in a regional fencing tournament in selangor. i participated in various community service projects including an overseas trip to malaysia and helped out for a charitable concert not organized by my school. i probably will be able to get referrals from my teachers but my home tutor has a penchant for being honest: she included a line that implied i needed to improve my attitude in my school testimonial(which is probably true).

in secondary school i was head of the administrative portfolio for my UG and participated in an overseas community service project in nepal.

in national service i dropped out of command school(sispec) due to injury. i can probably get a glowing testimonial from my current direct superior(cause he'll ask me to write it myself)

i am thinking of applying to the following universities for computer engineering or its quivalent:

University of Michigan, Ann-Arbor
University of California, Los Angeles
University of California, San Diego
Purdue

im also considering cornell and UIUC. ill probably throw an application at berkeley too since it was the dream.

i tried looking at LACs too but i didnt really find one that offered what i wanted.

Hi there,

good job on your critical reading and writing sections of your SAT! :D

However, your A level grades are unfortunate! Nowadays, universities do look at your high school record (Os & As) rather heavily. So while you may have done decently at the SATs, your A level grades are going to put you in a disadvantageous position. I'd advise against applying to Cornell and UC-Berkeley based on your profile. Michigan is possible but it will still be difficult considering that you're competiting with many straight As students for a place there. Do consider putting in some easier to enter backups if definitely want to study in the US.

All the best! :)

eho
06-25-2011, 06:37 PM

I knew I should have done the SAT subject tests right after As. urgh. I don't think I'm gonna even bother sending in my math level 1 and physics scores..

Your Math level 2 is fine. You probably should have taken Math 2 only!

Physics unfortunate though =/

myguy
06-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Unfortunately, its not just O's and A's that are looked at. The schools want your school transcript and many want to see consistency of performance. Unfortunately, a lot of people who get almost perfect As in their A Levels have Cs, Ds, Ss and even Fs in their JC promo and prelim results. Some colleges understand about the grade deflation in promo/prelim, but not all do. Problem is that the top colleges only accept a few Singaporeans and they may use promo/prelim to distinguish among Singaporean applicants.

boucy
06-26-2011, 09:11 PM
Unfortunately, its not just O's and A's that are looked at. The schools want your school transcript and many want to see consistency of performance. Unfortunately, a lot of people who get almost perfect As in their A Levels have Cs, Ds, Ss and even Fs in their JC promo and prelim results. Some colleges understand about the grade deflation in promo/prelim, but not all do. Problem is that the top colleges only accept a few Singaporeans and they may use promo/prelim to distinguish among Singaporean applicants.

it really depends , so much as i remembered, i did not send my whole secondary school transcript. But then again i did not apply for HYP schools. they seem fine with just the Os and my Dip

Introverted.
06-27-2011, 03:54 PM

dont worry so much, most schools do not require SAT 2s as part of their admission criteria. you probably should have taken math II only, the curve on Math I is crazy.

Hi there,

good job on your critical reading and writing sections of your SAT!

However, your A level grades are unfortunate! Nowadays, universities do look at your high school record (Os & As) rather heavily. So while you may have done decently at the SATs, your A level grades are going to put you in a disadvantageous position. I'd advise against applying to Cornell and UC-Berkeley based on your profile. Michigan is possible but it will still be difficult considering that you're competiting with many straight As students for a place there. Do consider putting in some easier to enter backups if definitely want to study in the US.

All the best! :)

yes yes rub it in :P

i think im the only person whose critical reading score is so much higher than my writing score. :( i hate sentence correction; i always KNOW theres something wrong with the sentence(cause it just sounds wrong it my head), i just don't know which part.

this is cause for concern. i wasnt a very good student in school. i barely scraped through promos, and my prelims were pretty poor(highest a B in physics). i did get dengue right after prelims though. maybe ill get some pity :p
i do know a friend who got into UM with Bs and Cs for his A levels. but then again he got a 2320 for his SAT.
what kind of safety's would you recommend?

EDIT: would being a member of Mensa be helpful to my application? im thinking it might show me as being incredibly lazy.

06-27-2011, 05:32 PM
dont worry so much, most schools do not require SAT 2s as part of their admission criteria. you probably should have taken math II only, the curve on Math I is crazy.

Hey thanks! Actually I'm planning to retake my SAT I. (lol). In October. My Critical Reading is my biggest problem. How did u study for the Critical Reading session. I also know that there's strategy involved. Like not answering the questions that you know you'd probably get wrong. Thereby probably avoiding a loss of an extra 0.25 points.

Introverted.
06-27-2011, 06:09 PM
Hey thanks! Actually I'm planning to retake my SAT I. (lol). In October. My Critical Reading is my biggest problem. How did u study for the Critical Reading session. I also know that there's strategy involved. Like not answering the questions that you know you'd probably get wrong. Thereby probably avoiding a loss of an extra 0.25 points.

for me i answer every question, even if im not sure. i didnt really have a study plan, i just grabbed some old prep books and did a couple of exercises and tests.

myguy
06-27-2011, 08:59 PM
it really depends , so much as i remembered, i did not send my whole secondary school transcript. But then again i did not apply for HYP schools. they seem fine with just the Os and my Dip

Its not just HYP. Schools evaluate you on what you send in versus other people who apply. If nobody sends in their scondary school transcript then you don't have a problem, but if there are applicants who do, they will assume the worst.

eho
06-27-2011, 11:55 PM

yes yes rub it in :P

i think im the only person whose critical reading score is so much higher than my writing score. :( i hate sentence correction; i always KNOW theres something wrong with the sentence(cause it just sounds wrong it my head), i just don't know which part.

this is cause for concern. i wasnt a very good student in school. i barely scraped through promos, and my prelims were pretty poor(highest a B in physics). i did get dengue right after prelims though. maybe ill get some pity :p
i do know a friend who got into UM with Bs and Cs for his A levels. but then again he got a 2320 for his SAT.
what kind of safety's would you recommend?

EDIT: would being a member of Mensa be helpful to my application? im thinking it might show me as being incredibly lazy.

You might wanna consider applying to NYU and Virginia. These are not safeties because they are not easy to enter but I think they are good schools you might stand a possible shot at. Also try Boston.

Safeties for you are universities easier to enter than the above.

boucy
06-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Its not just HYP. Schools evaluate you on what you send in versus other people who apply. If nobody sends in their scondary school transcript then you don't have a problem, but if there are applicants who do, they will assume the worst.

i highly doubt they will assume the worse as the OS and As are considered a standard to be against.

Introverted.
06-28-2011, 07:44 PM
You might wanna consider applying to NYU and Virginia. These are not safeties because they are not easy to enter but I think they are good schools you might stand a possible shot at. Also try Boston.

Safeties for you are universities easier to enter than the above.

aren't those schools known for their business programs? i intend to apply for engineering.

eho
06-29-2011, 12:05 AM
aren't those schools known for their business programs? i intend to apply for engineering.

Oh okay. didn't know what you're studying! How about UIUC?

boucy
06-29-2011, 10:13 AM
can always try
michigan , purdue ,wisconson Madison and penn state

decent chance in these school with your grades , maybe even a shoo in for penn state

myguy
06-29-2011, 12:09 PM
i highly doubt they will assume the worse as the OS and As are considered a standard to be against.

Lots of Singaporeans get good to perfect O and A Level results. If you send only the official results script and do not send in your JC/Secondary School Grades, its definitely going to raise a big red flag. If there is another applicant who sends in everything and has similar O/A level grades, they are going to prioritize that applicant in terms of school grades. Of course, SATs could be different, CCAs could be at the national level etc, but if the evaluation of your school record definitely requires more than Os and As.

Introverted.
06-29-2011, 09:40 PM
thanks for all the advice so far everybody, i really appreciate it.

so im currently looking at:
UCB(impossibru, just whack)
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (reach)
UIUC (low reach)
University of Texas, Austin (low reach)
UCLA (match)
UCSD (match)
University or Wisconsin, Madison(Match)
Purdue (match; or safety? i have this impression purdue is rather easy to enter)
Penn state (safety)

im not sure if my judgement is entirely correct. i would appreciate any comments. i probably will cut a few out.

myguy
06-30-2011, 03:16 PM
I don't think that's right because UCLA and UCSD are much more difficult to get in than Umich or Purdue. UCLA is almost at UCB levels....

% of applicants accepted (US News)

UCLA 22%
UCSD 38%
Umich 50%
Purdue 73%

Introverted.
06-30-2011, 11:04 PM
oh... more food for thought. its so hard to even just narrow down which universities i realistically stand a chance at. thank you anyway!

EDIT: ucla's international admission rate is 41.55% for fall 2011. i might just stand a chance! :D

boucy
07-01-2011, 09:18 AM
I don't think that's right because UCLA and UCSD are much more difficult to get in than Umich or Purdue. UCLA is almost at UCB levels....

% of applicants accepted (US News)

UCLA 22%
UCSD 38%
Umich 50%
Purdue 73%

I beg to differ as basing on just admission rate may be flawed , considering that applicant usually self-censors their choices. If i remembered right University of Chicago has a fairly high admission rate. Does it mean its easy? no

a quick look at the sats profile of both school
http://collegesearch.collegeboard.com/search/CollegeDetail.jsp?collegeId=1195&profileId=6 -mich

http://collegesearch.collegeboard.com/search/CollegeDetail.jsp?collegeId=991&profileId=6 -ucsd

show mich student scoring a higher average , so is admission easier ? i doubt so , afterall ucsd have a reputation of being a easier uc , who know people apply just to try?

boucy
07-01-2011, 09:19 AM
Lots of Singaporeans get good to perfect O and A Level results. If you send only the official results script and do not send in your JC/Secondary School Grades, its definitely going to raise a big red flag. If there is another applicant who sends in everything and has similar O/A level grades, they are going to prioritize that applicant in terms of school grades. Of course, SATs could be different, CCAs could be at the national level etc, but if the evaluation of your school record definitely requires more than Os and As.

if it was requested you may be penalise as compared to one with a glowing secondary school record.
but i highly doubt they will assume the worse , thus the purpose of a centralise test.

that is also if they requested it

nicoletee
07-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Grades are important but they only make up part of the equation. I have had many friends who have made it into their stretch universities with subpar SAT or A Level results. It's a matter of (a) picking the right university/course, and (b) positioning your application in a way which emphasizes your strengths, which would also include your extra-curricular activities, essays, and recommendations.

You can check out my website if you would like more ideas on what is important for JC students in Singapore to consider when preparing their university applications.

myguy
07-01-2011, 03:25 PM
I beg to differ as basing on just admission rate may be flawed , considering that applicant usually self-censors their choices. If i remembered right University of Chicago has a fairly high admission rate. Does it mean its easy? no

Historically, UChicago was an exception because of its lack of binding Early Decision. This is the subject of several threads on College Confidential.

However that is old news. UChicago's acceptance rate has fallen to 16% for the class of 2015, slighty lower than Cornell.

myguy
07-01-2011, 03:39 PM
oh... more food for thought. its so hard to even just narrow down which universities i realistically stand a chance at. thank you anyway!

EDIT: ucla's international admission rate is 41.55% for fall 2011. i might just stand a chance! :D

That's interesting! No doubt due to the fact that California is bankrupt after the Global Financial Crisis, they have to take in more foreigners since they pay 10x what the locals pay. Wonder what UCB's international admission rate is....

07-03-2011, 05:34 PM
hey guys, do y'all think I stand a chance at UC San Diego for a mathematics/computer science program?

Introverted.
07-03-2011, 11:36 PM
you probably do i think.

07-04-2011, 06:40 PM
oh well...i'll be visiting their campus next month. that's why i asked. I'd probably pick UCSD if I get rejected from UCLA and UCB, which I probably will..so yeah.

Introverted.
07-04-2011, 11:51 PM
don't fret too much, UCSD is still a good school for computer science. UCLA has a tendency to accept internationals too, their preliminary admissions stats for fall 2011 shows a pretty high acceptance rate for internationals(i posted it a page back, lazy to look :D)

boucy
07-06-2011, 10:01 AM
oh well...i'll be visiting their campus next month. that's why i asked. I'd probably pick UCSD if I get rejected from UCLA and UCB, which I probably will..so yeah.

im curious on your fixation with the UCs? do you have relative there? or a gf perhaps:)

myguy
07-06-2011, 10:54 AM
UCSD is pretty close to the beach :D

07-06-2011, 05:50 PM
im curious on your fixation with the UCs? do you have relative there? or a gf perhaps:)

yep. alotta known people there. And I'm not fixated with the UCs. haha. Just weighing my options. Anyway, I think a number of them are either matches or safeties for me. In case I don't get into the others like UMich or UIUC or NYU, I'd accept a UC. And for the course I wanna get into, schools like UCSD and UCSB are also good. :) Actually NYU I'm just applying for the fun of it haha. Just to see if I can get into CAS.

07-08-2011, 08:39 PM
is mychances.net reliable? I apparently have an 82.5% chance of getting into UMich with my grades. Including O level Grades and SAT scores. That is if i apply Early Action and a 40.0% chance of getting into UCSD. And a 97.8% chance of getting into University of Toronto. hmm

boucy
07-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Statistic is a good guage

but sometimes its your luck with admission officer

eho
07-09-2011, 12:23 AM
is mychances.net reliable? I apparently have an 82.5% chance of getting into UMich with my grades. Including O level Grades and SAT scores. That is if i apply Early Action and a 40.0% chance of getting into UCSD. And a 97.8% chance of getting into University of Toronto. hmm

hmm... seriously i wouldn't trust that too much. Essays play a pretty huge role as well. That site can't possibly assess your essays.

07-09-2011, 07:53 AM
well then i'm gonna write the most kick ass essay ever!!! :DD

11-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Hey guys I made it! Thanks a lot for all the advice!

Decision: Accepted

College and Program: University of Michigan Ann Arbor - LSA

Stats:
A Levels: BBCA/BBA
SAT I (by section): 640 CR; 770 Math; 660 Writing for a total of 2070
SAT IIs: 790 Math IIC; Awaiting my Physics&Chem SAT IIs but who's counting now? ;)
ACT:-
APs:-
IBs:-
Other stats:

Subjective:
ECs listed on app: NCC 3rd Sgt. Bowling. Entrepreneurship Society. Indian Cultural Society. Overseas Community Involvement in Batam Indonesia(with my class) and India(2006-2008 on my own). Did a lot of community involvement in between. Made a mathematical discovery when I was young without knowing previously that it was already proven (which my teacher validated in my Rec).
Job/Work Experience: National Service. Got the Service Excellence Award from the commander.
Essays (subject and responses): Must have been the deal breaker.
Teacher Recs: Fantastic (my teachers have the ability to bring out the best)
Applied: Winter Term 2012 (Harder to get in for winter according to them) I'm still considering deferring to the Fall.
Hook (if any): None

Location/Person:
State or Country: Singapore
School Type: Public
Ethnicity: Indian
General Comments/Congratulations/Venting/Commiserations,etc: Getting into Michigan is already so hard with its 39.5% overall acceptance rate(not a typo. it actually dropped cause of the shift to common app. And it's gonna continue dropping over the next few years). It's also very strong for my intended major. I feel that I am definitely one of the exceptions/freak cases that made it in. I had put in a lot of effort in JC. Unfortunately, it didn't show in my results cause I burnt out toward the end. Lesson Learnt. Plus I had a bit of a sob story to tell as well which I'm not gonna reveal here. I had to overcome certain adversities and that was reflected in my essays. That kind of got them noticing I think. I'm so pleased and proud of myself. Mostly because I know a number of straight A people from Singapore that got wait-listed and rejected. I would advise people interested to enter, to just APPLY! You never know. I didn't expect to get in. Now I'm mulling over trying for Berkeley.

(On a side note, Introverted, I recognize you from CollegeConfidential ;) )

Go Blue!

Introverted.
12-18-2011, 08:44 AM
:( i got deferred for UM engineering.

boucy
12-21-2011, 10:19 AM
isnt deferred still admission?

and congrats avatar duck

Introverted.
12-21-2011, 11:30 PM
nah it just means they throw you to the regular decision pool.

12-22-2011, 08:12 AM
well, just be patient. UM Engineering is definitely far more competitive than LSA. Actually you could have just applied to LSA directly, then considered a cross-campus transfer at the end of your freshman year. You'd still complete your degree in 4 years. But that'd be a huge gamble anyway..so..

I might apply for a cross-campus transfer though. In case I'm not satisfied with my major. Cause I'm still dabbling. In that sense in the US it's very flexible. In Singapore there's hardly any flexibility in the system at all. Have you heard from Illinois?

Introverted.
12-22-2011, 08:20 PM
nope i didn't do priority for illinois. i actually was racking my brains on the personal statements for texas(that turned out well -.-) and the UCs. besides i get the feeling my parents are more keen on me heading to California than the north-east lol.

yeah i really am not 100% sure what engineering i want to do. actually i'm only about 90% sure engineering is right for me :/

Introverted.
02-18-2012, 12:26 PM
accepted to illinois! :D

boucy
04-26-2012, 05:35 AM
see you guys at the upcoming mid-western games