PDA

View Full Version : Economics degree

Allina
03-05-2011, 01:10 AM
What are the career prospects of a degree in economics?
Which local and overseas universities are good and well known for teaching economics?
Economics is considered a general degree right?

eho
03-13-2011, 12:18 AM
What are the career prospects of a degree in economics?
Which local and overseas universities are good and well known for teaching economics?
Economics is considered a general degree right?

Career prospects are excellent. It's flexible in a sense because both private and public sectors welcome economics grads.

You can go into the civil service, investment banking, management, consulting, financial and professional services etc. There will be plenty of other opportunities as well.

I'd advise you to study at top overseas universities if possible. While the local universities are good at economics, they do not match up to the world's best yet. In the US there's the usual Harvard, Chicago, Stanford, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Columbia, UPenn. In the UK, there's Oxbridge, LSE, UCL & Warwick.

Yes, economics is considered pretty general and broad. Do note that it is very mathematical though.

Allina
03-20-2011, 11:34 PM
Hi Eho,
Thanks for answering my questions. :D

average
04-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Hi eho, you seem pretty knowledgeable.

Just wondering cos im not too sure about the career prospects that I will be made available to. Especially towards IB / civil service. Civil service in general, will be focussing on their scholars, while in IB, I don't think it will be that easy. Probably only the top few in the cohort would be investment bankers?

LockT31W
04-07-2011, 10:08 PM
IB also has high attrition. Only a small fraction gets past each level of analyst, associate, etc. The skillset required also evolves as you go up - as analyst you'll be doing mostly grunt work, but associate and above they'll start looking for your people skills and rainmaking skills. In short, most won't make it to MD level and its multimillion dollar paydays, but nevertheless have good exit opportunities after leaving as analysts.

eho
04-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Hi eho, you seem pretty knowledgeable.

Just wondering cos im not too sure about the career prospects that I will be made available to. Especially towards IB / civil service. Civil service in general, will be focussing on their scholars, while in IB, I don't think it will be that easy. Probably only the top few in the cohort would be investment bankers?

If you're a govt scholar, you naturally do have some form of advantage over a freshly hired graduate student. However, that is not to say the latter won't be as good a civil servant. There have been many non-scholars who rise above scholars because at the end of the day your promotion is dependent on your work performance!

IB is extremely selective and usually take best students from the best universities. Economics is one of most looked upon degrees to gain entry into IB though.

average
04-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Hmm while it is common among students going to UK that economics I is a top choice of study, local students doing economics are more often marginalized. Because local schools probably won't get much recognition among employers. Economics is a very general course of study. Therefore, economics students in local unis MIGHT just find that employment opportunities are lesser for them. Either that, or they are left with jobs that does not necessarily require a degree to work in. Just a personal opinion. I feel that if one wants to do economics, go overseas.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. :)