PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a teacher for deaf youths

Ariel92
03-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Hi there,

I just got my A-level results and I'm interested in becoming a teacher for deaf at the Singapore School for the Deaf (SSD). I understand that I need to know sign language in order to do so. Aside from that, what else do I need to know and do, in my pursuit of this path? I read something about having to obtain a Diploma in Special Education from NIE. But I can't seem to find any more information about it. Call me dense but NIE's website isn't that easy to navigate (for me at least). I am met with dead links on their very website (links that do not exist any longer or some error with the hyperlinks or what-not). Also, I went to the website of (SSD), and from what I gleaned, the minimum requirement is an A-level cert.... Then again, it could be my misreading of it :p

Anyways, it would be nice if someone could enlightened me, on what will be the next huge step in my life. Thanks in advance! :)

tanweikeat
03-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Hi there,

I just got my A-level results and I'm interested in becoming a teacher for deaf at the Singapore School for the Deaf (SSD). I understand that I need to know sign language in order to do so. Aside from that, what else do I need to know and do, in my pursuit of this path? I read something about having to obtain a Diploma in Special Education from NIE. But I can't seem to find any more information about it. Call me dense but NIE's website isn't that easy to navigate (for me at least). I am met with dead links on their very website (links that do not exist any longer or some error with the hyperlinks or what-not). Also, I went to the website of (SSD), and from what I gleaned, the minimum requirement is an A-level cert.... Then again, it could be my misreading of it :p

Anyways, it would be nice if someone could enlightened me, on what will be the next huge step in my life. Thanks in advance! :)

Hi Ariel, got this chunk off the MOE website:

If you are interested to teach in a Special Education (SPED) school, you may contact the school directly. SPED teachers are employees of the SPED schools.

NIE offers the Diploma in Special Education (DISE). It is a one year full time programme and is offered only for teachers already teaching in SPED schools. The SPED schools take care of course expenses, and work out the corresponding service conditions. The school will advise regarding application procedures and dates.

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/special-education/teaching/

Hope this helps! :)

Ariel92
03-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Thanks alot (for the real prompt reply), Wei Keat! :)