PDA

View Full Version : If you are the employer..

blue177
03-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Hi, i am just wondering, when there are two candidates applying for a job, both their degree are not exactly related to the job they are applying, will the employer hire the one with a Psychology degree or an Engineering degree? I am thinking that if i am the employer, i would probably choose to hire the one with engineering degree.. What do you all think?

Because i'm really interested in studying Psychology, but i am also skeptical about the prospects.. like if i find a job at those organisations not related, will they want someone with this degree?

Should i choose a safer path of engineering instead? I don't mind studying engineering, i was also thinking that i can take Psychology as a minor. In this case, will it be better?

blue177
03-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Please share your views on this! Thanks (:

pokerface
03-23-2011, 08:47 PM
It depends on what type of employer I am.

If you're talking about consulting/management/HR firms, I'll prolly pick the Psychology grad especially if he majors in organisational psychology.

But then again, some employers might take into consideration the brand name of the university as well.

Groupon
03-24-2011, 01:56 PM
If you're talking about consulting/management/HR firms, I'll prolly pick the Psychology grad especially if he majors in organisational psychology.

erm, to be frank, org psych hasn't really caught on among employers here.

What sort of consulting and what sort of management firms are you talking about? I've not heard of psych grads going into consulting but I've definitely heard of engine grads going into consulting (because their quantitative skills are valued!)

For consulting, I reckon your honours classification and your CCA and your school matters much more than your major.

winterland
03-24-2011, 03:13 PM
it depends on which industry my company participates in. If my work environment is highly technical, i'll prefer the one with engineering degree, whereas, if my company's in the admin/hospitality/marketing arena, I'll go for the psych major. :)

serinex
04-14-2011, 04:12 PM
Hi, i am just wondering, when there are two candidates applying for a job, both their degree are not exactly related to the job they are applying, will the employer hire the one with a Psychology degree or an Engineering degree? I am thinking that if i am the employer, i would probably choose to hire the one with engineering degree.. What do you all think?

Because i'm really interested in studying Psychology, but i am also skeptical about the prospects.. like if i find a job at those organisations not related, will they want someone with this degree?

Should i choose a safer path of engineering instead? I don't mind studying engineering, i was also thinking that i can take Psychology as a minor. In this case, will it be better?

If companies need to hire people who can deal with human interactions (like public relation and human resource), I will obviously choose a psychology graduate. If I require an analytical person to do a particular job, I will choose a person with engineer degree. However, in terms of a general job which just require a degree, psychology stands a better chance in most of the job prospects. However, do not expect the starting pay to be real high.

minicar
06-24-2011, 05:40 PM
If I were the employer, I'd definitely hire the jobless.

frolick
06-25-2011, 08:49 PM
it's sometimes so absurd to actually worry if I would get to secure a job(with my intention to major psych)...when I am just about to start uni?

this is so absurd, i shouldnt be worried but i worry anyways..

Anw, if i were the employer.......
I would hire the psych one, cos it might just be me.
:)

legendary
06-25-2011, 11:49 PM
If companies need to hire people who can deal with human interactions (like public relation and human resource), I will obviously choose a psychology graduate. If I require an analytical person to do a particular job, I will choose a person with engineer degree. However, in terms of a general job which just require a degree, psychology stands a better chance in most of the job prospects. However, do not expect the starting pay to be real high.

couldn't agree more :)