PDA

View Full Version : What is this concept of 'hook' I've seen?

pinepine
03-29-2011, 01:11 PM
I don't quite get what this 'hook' in college application means. Can anyone please explain? :)

I only know about three hooks - minority races (Asians not included, sadly), legacies and first-generation. Any others? Does this apply to International students as well? How do we state that we have this hook, in essays etc?

Thanks in advance :)

pinepine
03-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Okaaaaaaaay nvm I've found my answer. Sorry I was being lazy just now. For future reference... The answer lies within: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/prep-school-admissions/814267-what-hook.html.

Groupon
03-29-2011, 08:41 PM
Being Asian/Singaporean is a hook in SOME schools.
But chances are if you are like most other singaporeans who apply to ivy leagues + top state schools only, this wouldn't apply to you.

pinepine
03-29-2011, 08:45 PM
I'm planning to apply to Duke and LACs like AWS Oberlin and Pomona. Is being a S'porean considered a hook for the LACs?

h1every01
03-29-2011, 09:39 PM
Being Asian/Singaporean is a hook in SOME schools.
But chances are if you are like most other singaporeans who apply to ivy leagues + top state schools only, this wouldn't apply to you.

Hi. You said that singaporeans are
hooks in some schools? Do you have any substantiated evidence?

Can I also know whether that also applies to universities in the Asia like hk and Japan?

Groupon
03-29-2011, 09:54 PM
my opinions:

oberlin/pomona - depends on how many singaporeans/asians are applying for your year. possibly more of hook for oberlin than pomona.

duke - no. there's a moderator from duke so he's in a better position to answer you.
hk - no. unless you are applying for polyu or lingnan.
japan - maybe, depends on which school.

evidence - when singaporeans seem to have easier time being admitted (lower scores, ecs etc). sometimes seemingly lower than locals - its hard to give a fair comparison though?

different schools have different priorities, some tend to value diversity more than others. if a school has no problems attracting international students, then being asian/singaporean would be less of a hook (if none at all).

pinepine
03-30-2011, 06:25 PM
Okay thanks for the additional info! :)

germatory
04-12-2011, 01:19 PM
I'm planning to apply to Duke and LACs like AWS Oberlin and Pomona. Is being a S'porean considered a hook for the LACs?

Definitely not a hook at AWS or Pomona. Bearing in mind that the pool applying to AWS are as highly self-selective as HYP, it's a mid-reach or high-reach for every Singaporean.

Singaporeans are over-represented at almost every top-tier US college.

PureFitness
10-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Not that relevant but someone did mention that

"Oberlin College are also looking for talented Singaporeans, and will give very generous financial aid."

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/13328555-post4599.html