PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed!

pokerface
04-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Are there any US universities that offer financial aid readily to international students and are strong in the areas of social sciences and business?

Also, just wondering if any of them does accept A-level qualifications in lieu of SAT 1?

*Sorry because I know nuts about US universities. I have only recently decided to consider them.

Introverted.
04-21-2011, 08:15 PM
im probably not the most qualified as im still finding out about american colleges, but to quote a portion of a post from myguy in a thread i made:

For the US, if your parents earn less than USD200K/yr, there is the possibility that you could get some form of financial aid, but for many colleges, applying for financial aid may reduce your chance of admission because most are not "need blind" for internationals.

Edit: If you plan on getting some financial aid, don't bother with the public schools like UCB/UCLA etc. California is almost bankrupt. You have to apply to the schools with huge endowments. The Ivys may be beyond your current stats, but there are some LACs that may take you. Some have liberal arts/engineering programs. Dartmouth comes to mind

as far as i know of, most US universities do not accept A-levels in lieu of the SAT, purdue is the only possible one i can think of.

perhaps giving an overview of your qualifications would help others advise you better?

pokerface
04-21-2011, 08:44 PM
im probably not the most qualified as im still finding out about american colleges, but to quote a portion of a post from myguy in a thread i made:

as far as i know of, most US universities do not accept A-levels in lieu of the SAT, purdue is the only possible one i can think of.

perhaps giving an overview of your qualifications would help others advise you better?
A level results: H2 (ABB), B for H1 math, C for PW and A for GP

So do I stand a chance?

eho
04-21-2011, 11:55 PM
A level results: H2 (ABB), B for H1 math, C for PW and A for GP

So do I stand a chance?

Unfortunately not a good chance. Applicants who apply for financial aid are generally disadvantaged in the admissions system unless you apply to need-blind schools. Need-blind schools offer financial aid to lure top students to their school. However, your grades will not place you under that category. So it's going to be rather unlikely.

To the other question. if you are keen on US, you definitely need to take the SAT. It does not replace A levels as well. You need to present both grades for their consideration.

There's simply no short cut to the best universities!

Run
04-22-2011, 03:31 AM

USD 200k a year is way too high. Most schools will throw out your financial aid application immediately, unless you can explain why you can't pay your tuition when your parents are making more than $120k a year. Of course, there are valid reasons for this; I'm not saying it's impossible to get financial with that kind of annual income.

There are schools which offer merit scholarships to students, but those are typically given to students with really good grades and have high scores. One of the other moderators, DukeBlue, posted a list of university-specific scholarships which are open to internationals some time ago. It's a little dated, but the last time I checked many of those scholarships are still offered. They're really competitive though, and you'd have to make a strong case for yourself, especially since it's likely that you'd be up against students with stellar grades and extra-curriculars. Here it is:

http://igfas.wiki.zoho.com/USA.html

myguy
04-22-2011, 08:49 AM
USD 200k a year is way too high. Most schools will throw out your financial aid application immediately, unless you can explain why you can't pay your tuition when your parents are making more than $120k a year. Of course, there are valid reasons for this; I'm not saying it's impossible to get financial with that kind of annual income.

This isn't true. $120K may be a cutoff for 100% aid, but you can get aid up to $200K. However, as I said before, internationals are treated differently at some schools. It also depends on whether any of your siblings are going to school and your assets. The financial aid forms are quite comprehensive.

Here's Princeton's guideline:
http://www.princeton.edu/admission/financialaid/how_it_works/who_qualifies/

Here's a College Confidential article on it
http://www.collegeconfidential.com/dean/archives/is-financial-aid-available-for-family-with-200k-income.htm

Run
04-24-2011, 05:18 AM
This isn't true. $120K may be a cutoff for 100% aid, but you can get aid up to $200K. However, as I said before, internationals are treated differently at some schools. It also depends on whether any of your siblings are going to school and your assets. The financial aid forms are quite comprehensive.

Here's Princeton's guideline:
http://www.princeton.edu/admission/financialaid/how_it_works/who_qualifies/

Here's a College Confidential article on it
http://www.collegeconfidential.com/dean/archives/is-financial-aid-available-for-family-with-200k-income.htm

Hmm, I wouldn't think that Princeton is representative of all the top colleges in the US. HYP are the most well-endowed schools in the US, and so would be able to provide financial aid generously. I'm too lazy to trawl through the top schools' financial aid pages to prove this, but at my school (which is not bad in terms of ranking), which is not need-blind, very seldom considers americans with 80k for a full ride, let alone internationals. Of course, this is from my own observations, I can't be bothered to look up data on this. :p

If I'm mistaken, feel free to point it out. :)

myguy
04-24-2011, 09:16 AM
If you went to college in the US 5-10 years ago, then those numbers may have been true :D Safe to say USD200K income is the cutoff for any aid today generally disclosed by colleges, but a fair number with higher incomes still do get some aid. About 65% of all college students with family income over USD100K get some aid. A full ride simply means that you are relatively poor and could range from $80K income to $120K+ income depending on whether the family has several kids in college. A school's generosity depends on its endowment i.e., how rich it is so applicants needing financial aid, should research which schools are wealthy.

Since Princeton is the richest school in the U.S., here's Swarthmore's statistics

http://www.swarthmore.edu/Documents/administration/ir/FAStats.pdf

PivotTable
04-27-2011, 10:03 PM
How about US universities' campus in middle east? Receptive to the idea? They seem to be flushed with cash.

http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showthread.php?t=2023

NYU and Georgetown are very strong choices if you want to go into IR (as I note in your other posts). Experience in middle east is a big plus for IR jobs too. And if you can gain working knowledge of arabic during your undergrad, it is a HUGE plus, especially so if you know chinese already (in other words you'll know 3 of the official languages in UN). Language is a major asset for IR jobs.

I'm not sure about their SAT requirements.