PDA

View Full Version : From neighborhood primary to Ivy league

jennyteen
05-02-2011, 11:56 PM
Dear all

I finished JC last year and will be attending an Ivy League college this fall. But before I leave I would like to be able to contribute the considerable 'expertise' I gained over the years researching top US universities. Many things I know may surprise the average Singaporean .... It hasn't been easy to find out the kinds of things I know today. Almost four years of research.

People always say Ivy and top school admissions are notoriously unpredictable. I don't subscribe fully to that. Sure, freak cases occur, but once I read a person's application -- as the admissions officers see it -- I get a rough feel of whether he will get in. What you need then is to know how to strategise and present your application and your time now for maximum results. I don't mean silly things like what CCAs to take (when in fact that is not important at all), what score you must get for SAT (more important but not enough) .... If you let me know your situation, I will be able to tailor my advice for you. Think of me as your personal US college consultant all rolled into one from selecting universities to essay writing to test taking. I promise results.

- College selection
- Test taking : when to take, how to take, strategies (I scored 2330 for my SAT I)
- Presenting yourself : The Essays, The Application itself
- Hedging your bets

My college counselor in JC was on the right track but she didn't know many things. If you know what works, what doesn't, you are much more likely to get what you want in college admissions. Simple as that. So whether you are an average student aspiring to a top school -- like I once was in secondary school, or a top student needing his essay critiqued by someone who knows what admissions officers hate and love, email me at nesvita6 @ gmail so that I can know more about you and help you. No strings attached!

virtualfullstop
05-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Dear all

I finished JC last year and will be attending an Ivy League college this fall. But before I leave I would like to be able to contribute the considerable 'expertise' I gained over the years researching top US universities. Many things I know may surprise the average Singaporean .... It hasn't been easy to find out the kinds of things I know today. Almost four years of research.

People always say Ivy and top school admissions are notoriously unpredictable. I don't subscribe fully to that. Sure, freak cases occur, but once I read a person's application -- as the admissions officers see it -- I get a rough feel of whether he will get in. What you need then is to know how to strategise and present your application and your time now for maximum results. I don't mean silly things like what CCAs to take (when in fact that is not important at all), what score you must get for SAT (more important but not enough) .... If you let me know your situation, I will be able to tailor my advice for you. Think of me as your personal US college consultant all rolled into one from selecting universities to essay writing to test taking. I promise results.

- College selection
- Test taking : when to take, how to take, strategies (I scored 2330 for my SAT I)
- Presenting yourself : The Essays, The Application itself
- Hedging your bets

My college counselor in JC was on the right track but she didn't know many things. If you know what works, what doesn't, you are much more likely to get what you want in college admissions. Simple as that. So whether you are an average student aspiring to a top school -- like I once was in secondary school, or a top student needing his essay critiqued by someone who knows what admissions officers hate and love, email me at nesvita6 @ gmail so that I can know more about you and help you. No strings attached!

Only applicable to US schools? UK schools? :p

myguy
05-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Congratulations! It shows that hard work and good preparation for years leads to a positive college application result.

Since you mentioned being in a top 5 Ivy, I guess that it's either Columbia or Penn and not Cornell, Brown or Dartmouth. Were you accepted by many Ivies? Reason I ask is that people on College Confidential still think that its a crapshoot to get in, and particularly this year. Based on what I have seen, Cornell doesn't seem too hard to get into for a top Singapore student, but the rest seem to have accepted only 2-3 Singaporeans each. Was financial aid an issue?

Did you get into the safeties that you applied to? It seems some people this year (on CC) didn't get into any colleges at all because their safeties rejected them due to the higher competition this year.

On the SAT I, do you think it matters much anymore? Seems like lots of people on CC got rejected by ivies with 2300+ scores. Were you extraordinary in your CCs i.e., Science Olympiad? National athelete? How long did you work on your essay (both common app and for each individual Ivy)?