PDA

View Full Version : Queries on Canadian universities

pokerface
05-17-2011, 12:36 AM
1. Why do they seem to be so rarely pursued after by Singaporean students? Are they really not comparable to US/UK/Australian universities?

2. How do Singaporean employers perceive graduates of Canadian universities? (I mean for both the public and private sectors)

3. While reputable Canadian universities such as UBC, McGill and UToronto may be renowned globally, are they even heard of by Singaporean employers and students? How will graduates from these uni fare in job opportunities as compared to their UK/US/Australian uni counterparts?

4. What are the areas of forte of UBC, McGill and UToronto?

Crosser
05-19-2011, 03:00 PM
1. Why do they seem to be so rarely pursued after by Singaporean students? Are they really not comparable to US/UK/Australian universities?

2. How do Singaporean employers perceive graduates of Canadian universities? (I mean for both the public and private sectors)

3. While reputable Canadian universities such as UBC, McGill and UToronto may be renowned globally, are they even heard of by Singaporean employers and students? How will graduates from these uni fare in job opportunities as compared to their UK/US/Australian uni counterparts?

Buddy.. You Seem to be filled with queries.
These are three top Universities in Canada, with University of Toronto being 1st currently,
You'll do Great if you work in Canada from any of the three universities in Canada, in Singapore too you'll get equal or better consideration b'coz of your international Exposure.

I basically know more about U of Toronto, it was Ranked 8th best university in the world for engineering and computer Science by TIMES.

if you compare it with UK/US/Aust, it outclasses UK and Australia except Oxford and Cambridge. This University is ahead of Even Imperial in IVY league of Computer Science and equals Imperial in Eng.

+ it is cost effective and a bit economical than UK and US and Australia.

Job Opportunities are open all over d world, but the best one's 'll be in canada.

patryn33
05-25-2011, 05:55 AM

1. Cold! and Further than UK/US. most parents are not looking much to how good are these Uni.

2. all I can say they have no issue getting a job.

3. if they are not heard by students does it affect employment?
if it is not heard by hiring manager does that mean one will not get hired? One cannot walk into an interview and not say a word and expect to get hired base on the Uni one graduated.

4. UBC - Biz
McGill - Sci/Engineering/Biz
UT - all rounder

MUDAC
05-25-2011, 10:51 AM

mcgill is quite well known for humanities too, I think...

trapped
05-26-2011, 08:11 PM
1. Cold! and Further than UK/US. most parents are not looking much to how good are these Uni.

2. all I can say they have no issue getting a job.

3. if they are not heard by students does it affect employment?
if it is not heard by hiring manager does that mean one will not get hired? One cannot walk into an interview and not say a word and expect to get hired base on the Uni one graduated.

4. UBC - Biz
UT - all rounder

Overseas-wise, I am considering two options for my intended Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree - University of Melbourne and McGill.

Probably will take up political science as my primary major while being undecided on my second one.

UMelb is a very popular choice among Singaporeans; thus, due to this familiarity, this leads me to think that Singaporean employers tend to view UMelb graduates in a positive light.

However, based on hearsay from some forums and friends, McGill is more well-known internationally than and has a stronger Political Science department than UMelb. It is also seen to be better in the arts and social sciences than the latter.

I have estimated that both courses cost about the same; the main difference is, McGill's course lasts for 4 years while UMelb's for 3 years.

After graduation, I will probably return to Singapore to work first before finding overseas employment. Or better still, I might want to work overseas straight after graduation.

Thus, what is your take on this?

MUDAC
05-26-2011, 08:48 PM
UMelb is a very popular choice among Singaporeans; thus, due to this familiarity, this leads me to think that Singaporean employers tend to view UMelb graduates in a positive light.

uh? really meh? I think employers regard usyd (for business) and anu (for social science) in a positive light. as for the other go8 universities, its all seen pretty much on par, imo.

McGill is more well-known internationally than and has a stronger Political Science department than UMelb. It is also seen to be better in the arts and social sciences than the latter.

definitely, definitely yes. i've never heard of umelb being known for pol sci.

Or better still, I might want to work overseas straight after graduation.

I might be mistaken, but its easier to get PR in canada than aus right?

patryn33
05-27-2011, 03:14 AM
I have estimated that both courses cost about the same; the main difference is, McGill's course lasts for 4 years while UMelb's for 3 years.

After graduation, I will probably return to Singapore to work first before finding overseas employment. Or better still, I might want to work overseas straight after graduation.

3yrs at UofMelb isn't equal to a 4yr McGill program. U got to do a honors at UofMelb to compare apples to apples. a 3yr UofMelb degree U are limited to OZ/NZD to read postgrad/grad without penalty. US/Canada/UK generally will penalize U, asking U transfer to their undegrad program to finish the final yr or have U study 1 extra yr in make up for it.

Canada today gives one 2 yrs work VISA upon graduation which allows u to job hunt or just hang around. if U speak french U can get PR much easier in Quebec. One do get extra pts for knowing French.

OZ without PR it is harder to find job these days. These days ppl do return to SG and work while waiting for their application to go thru.

MUDAC
05-27-2011, 09:39 AM
I'm not sure how widely french vs english is spoken in mcgill itself, but if you have the opportunity, do learn french if you are majoring in pol sci. it will help to open up more job opportunities for you outside of sg.

patryn33
05-27-2011, 10:22 AM
in Montreal, French is like their 1st language and English is their 2nd Language.
in Uni it self, else Bschool U find alot of Asian and ppl from other province or States. Although classes are taught in English depending on one social circle U may find fremch more widely used.

its like going to Wales to study, my buddy stayed in Dorm and around her most ppl speaks Welsh.

pokerface
05-28-2011, 10:19 PM
3yrs at UofMelb isn't equal to a 4yr McGill program. U got to do a honors at UofMelb to compare apples to apples. a 3yr UofMelb degree U are limited to OZ/NZD to read postgrad/grad without penalty. US/Canada/UK generally will penalize U, asking U transfer to their undegrad program to finish the final yr or have U study 1 extra yr in make up for it.

Canada today gives one 2 yrs work VISA upon graduation which allows u to job hunt or just hang around. if U speak french U can get PR much easier in Quebec. One do get extra pts for knowing French.

OZ without PR it is harder to find job these days. These days ppl do return to SG and work while waiting for their application to go thru.

I think you misunderstood what I meant.

The tuition fees and living expenses combined of McGill equals to that of UofMelb. All undergrad degree programs in McGill generally last for 4 years whereas its 3 years of Melbourne.

pokerface
05-28-2011, 10:22 PM

So, all international students are granted the 2-year work visa as long as they have graduated from a Canadian university? Or are there specific criteria for the visa?

patryn33
05-29-2011, 10:19 AM
I think you misunderstood what I meant.

The tuition fees and living expenses combined of McGill equals to that of UofMelb. All undergrad degree programs in McGill generally last for 4 years whereas its 3 years of Melbourne.

I understand what U meant.
however U still do not understand what I meant.
4yrs at Mcgill is not equal to 3yrs at UofMelb esp if u plan to read grad in usa/canada/uk. u are comparing apples to oranges.
if cost is such a big deal go UK! 3yrs in many UK Uni are direct honors, if Wikipedia is accurate ~50% of the grads get a 2:1.

yes they are bach degree, not scoring well at Mcgill just meant u waste you final yr. with uofmelb should one fail to do well one just save $$ since honours yr is optional. so if one plan to grad with min GPA from both Uni, yes comparing 3yrs UofMelb vs Mcgill 4yrs is the same.

patryn33
05-29-2011, 10:22 AM
So, all international students are granted the 2-year work visa as long as they have graduated from a Canadian university? Or are there specific criteria for the visa?

rules change again.
http://www.edwiseinternational.com/2010/study-in-canada/employment-canada.asp
Employment
International students graduating from a program of 2 years or more in length would be eligible for a 3 year work permit after graduation with no restrictions on the types of employment and no requirement for a job offer. The experience gained would provide them an opportunity to work in an international setting and at the same time allow them to earn the money invested

MUDAC
05-29-2011, 10:29 AM
^ that's pretty good! I'm surprised there aren't more singaporeans going there instead of aus/uk.

pokerface
05-29-2011, 03:30 PM
I understand what U meant.
however U still do not understand what I meant.
4yrs at Mcgill is not equal to 3yrs at UofMelb esp if u plan to read grad in usa/canada/uk. u are comparing apples to oranges.
if cost is such a big deal go UK! 3yrs in many UK Uni are direct honors, if Wikipedia is accurate ~50% of the grads get a 2:1.

yes they are bach degree, not scoring well at Mcgill just meant u waste you final yr. with uofmelb should one fail to do well one just save $$ since honours yr is optional. so if one plan to grad with min GPA from both Uni, yes comparing 3yrs UofMelb vs Mcgill 4yrs is the same.

Yes actually when I was typing my last reply to you, I was making the assumption that I just grad with a min GPA (worst-case scenario).

Unfortunately, I don't qualify for Law or even the social science programmes in the fairly good UK schools :/

pokerface
05-29-2011, 03:32 PM
^ that's pretty good! I'm surprised there aren't more singaporeans going there instead of aus/uk.

Yeah sure it is! I guess its due to the distance and the impression that Canada is more "boring" and not as Asian-friendly as Australia is.

patryn33
05-31-2011, 06:17 AM

not many ppl are aware of this change. ppl seeking to move out and do more research those ppl would know.

unlike OZ, Canada did not go all out and promote this change in Asia.

patryn33
05-31-2011, 06:19 AM
Yeah sure it is! I guess its due to the distance and the impression that Canada is more "boring" and not as Asian-friendly as Australia is.

I just came back from Toronto, Markham, London etc..
how did U or your social circle get the above impression? Have they been to Canada?

pokerface
05-31-2011, 12:22 PM
I just came back from Toronto, Markham, London etc..
how did U or your social circle get the above impression? Have they been to Canada?
Its not me but my social circle.

I have been to Toronto too; I would say its pretty Asian-friendly as compared to Montreal.

How's Toronto anyway? And I heard that most of the jobs in demand in Canada are related to engineering and IT?

patryn33
05-31-2011, 07:31 PM
Its not me but my social circle.

I have been to Toronto too; I would say its pretty Asian-friendly as compared to Montreal.

How's Toronto anyway? And I heard that most of the jobs in demand in Canada are related to engineering and IT?

Today's caanada there are so many asian, maybe just as much than aussie.

Markham is the silicon valley of canada. I am sure they need NR, doctors and nurses etc.

zefang
11-15-2016, 10:01 AM
Hi guys!

I came across this platform the other day when I was planning for my overseas studies called Flying Chalks. They help international students enhance their overseas studies experience like you can connect with friends that are going to the same university that you are going to and you can also ask for some advice from those who have been to that university. You can check out their website at www.flyingchalks.com or you can visit their Facebook Page here (https://www.facebook.com/flyingchalks/)!

As far as I know, they have quite a few guides on universities in Canada that provide information about accommodation, flights, food outlets, leisure activities, and even comprehensive information about the university and the country you are heading to! Hope this helps!!