PDA

View Full Version : Common Application - Poly

miyavvii
05-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Hi there,

I was intending to apply to the universities in USA. However, I have some doubts in regards to the common applications. Hope you guys out there could help me out.

I am from a polytechnic background. Thus, most of the informations I have obtained were not of much help.

Some background infos:
(1) I have a diploma in aerospace electronics from Ngee Ann : GPA 3.81
(2) I have taken the SAT II ( Math II and Physics ), both 800. I am intending to take the SAT I soon.

As I am currently serving NS, I was wondering if the US universities allows me to defer for a year ?

For the common application, I was wondering, what do they mean by secondary school ( I think this may sound weired ).
I found these mentioned:
- Secondary Schools
- Current or most recent secondary school attended
If I were to enter my secondary school results, there will be no places for my poly grades. Please advice. Thanks

shadowboxing
05-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Hey I'm from Ngee Ann too and have done Common App (the cycle the ended this Jan).

When they say secondary school, just add in your diploma results.
There's a field where you can add "Additional Info" - that's where I put my O level results.

Under secondary schools, I can't remember right but if you can put more than 1 school, then put in your secondary school too.

In US their grades go like this: 9th - 12th grade

So the way I took it was 10th - 12th Grade in Ngee Ann and 9th grade as my O level year.

Likewise, when they ask for recommendations by secondary school teacher, you can approach your course manager or lecturer.

I can't answer your question about NS though because I'm not a guy! Sorry!

mengshuen
05-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Certain schools don't allow for deferment. These are mainly state schools (California and Illinois), while the privates allow (at least, most of those "common" ones).

If you are intending to take up the same major in college, I think you can apply as a Transfer student...

miyavvii
05-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Hey I'm from Ngee Ann too and have done Common App (the cycle the ended this Jan).

When they say secondary school, just add in your diploma results.
There's a field where you can add "Additional Info" - that's where I put my O level results.

Under secondary schools, I can't remember right but if you can put more than 1 school, then put in your secondary school too.

In US their grades go like this: 9th - 12th grade

So the way I took it was 10th - 12th Grade in Ngee Ann and 9th grade as my O level year.

Likewise, when they ask for recommendations by secondary school teacher, you can approach your course manager or lecturer.

I can't answer your question about NS though because I'm not a guy! Sorry!

Oh icic, thanks for ur explaination.
Is it ok if I did not include my secondary scores ?
btw, how do I get about to fill in my mid-terms results/ final term results ? As you know, for poly, we dont really have mid-terms scores.

In all, based on your opinions, is the common application easy to be completed by a poly student ?

Thanks

shadowboxing
05-18-2011, 01:41 PM
btw, how do I get about to fill in my mid-terms results/ final term results ? As you know, for poly, we dont really have mid-terms scores.

In all, based on your opinions, is the common application easy to be completed by a poly student ?

Thanks

I think it's best to include your secondary school scores because otherwise the universities might be wondering what happened to your 9th grade. My O level scores aren't impressive, so I was hesitant about putting it in too, but I did it in the end. It shouldn't be a biggie, what matters is your final. And you've got great SAT scores, so I think they'll place emphasis on that.

The mid-terms & finals, just leave it to your lecturer to do it, because it has to be filled by a lecturer. For me I applied before I graduate this year, so my mid-terms were all my results up to 5 sems and my finals i took is as my final semester. So I think you might want to ask your lecturer to perhaps do the same.

The Commonapp really isn't a problem to be frank. It's just a lot more rigid compared to the UCAS (for UK) so it can be troublesome especially with so many essays to write. But if you have a prob, you always have brightsparks to turn to ;)

boucy
05-23-2011, 08:26 PM
from my experience i did not include yearly secondary school results just the O levels.

So far its fine

boucy
05-23-2011, 08:27 PM

Thanks

poly if i remembered my application right , is not considered in the section in regards to their high schools

just have to fill in your gpa and module (cant seem to fully rmb)

patryn33
05-25-2011, 06:11 AM
If you are intending to take up the same major in college, I think you can apply as a Transfer student...

even if U applied as freshman, a good number of Uni and college will consider poly grads are transfer students.
it sucks as one wouldn't be entitles to those freshman scholarships.
for those need blind Uni that is different story.

iirc UTexas do allow freshman, U get no credits transfer and start really fresh.

2016hopeful
09-27-2011, 12:22 AM
Hi, I would like to know if I really can approach my lecturer for counselor's recommendation? My Course manager doesn't know me personally,so I want it to be filled up by a lecturer who knows me well.