PDA

View Full Version : Failed A lvls, but got decent SAT I AND II scores, seeking advice.

adenn
05-30-2011, 11:35 PM
Alright so due to a personal crisis, I was unable to study for my As and ended up failing it. H2 BUU H1 S GP A PW A. Obviously I can't make it to a local university, so I would like to take my chances in the US. I got 2200 for my SAT I, MATH II 780 World History 780 Chinese 800. I would say that's pretty decent results, though not fantastic.

Do my As kill off all chances for a good university in the States? I was thinking along the lines of NYU Stern, UCLA, UMich? Or do I have no choice but to settle for lower-end universities? Would my Os help? They're not fantastic either, but I have 4 As 3 Bs 2 Cs. My ECs and recommendation letters are pretty good, and say I pour my feelings into writing a heartfelt essay? Would it help? Stern Sch of Business is pretty much a top, top choice for me.

eho
05-31-2011, 12:13 PM
Alright so due to a personal crisis, I was unable to study for my As and ended up failing it. H2 BUU H1 S GP A PW A. Obviously I can't make it to a local university, so I would like to take my chances in the US. I got 2200 for my SAT I, MATH II 780 World History 780 Chinese 800. I would say that's pretty decent results, though not fantastic.

Do my As kill off all chances for a good university in the States? I was thinking along the lines of NYU Stern, UCLA, UMich? Or do I have no choice but to settle for lower-end universities? Would my Os help? They're not fantastic either, but I have 4 As 3 Bs 2 Cs. My ECs and recommendation letters are pretty good, and say I pour my feelings into writing a heartfelt essay? Would it help? Stern Sch of Business is pretty much a top, top choice for me.

Due to your A level results, it would most likely kill off your chances for top universities (including those that you mentioned). SATs are but one of the many factors universities take into consideration. In fact, US universities place greater emphasis on "High School Academic Transcripts/Record" than on the SATs in the recent years. That includes both O & A level results. This is because a student's high school record correlates with university results much more than the SATs (which can be easily prepared for within a short period of time). You have to be very moderate with your expectations. Realistically speaking, there are plenty of applicants to those schools with straight As & SAT scores comparable to yours! Unless you show why the university should pick you over the rest of the outstanding applicants, you're not going to stand a good chance at all. I'd suggest only trying 1 or 2 of those selective schools and ensure that you have sufficient safety schools so that at least you end up with a university place. Please also do let the universities know about the circumstances which resulted in your poor A level grades. A strong and convincing explaination might save your application.

Run
05-31-2011, 09:14 PM
Other than retaking the 'A' levels, if you're looking to get into a decent college, you could enroll in a community college, then apply as a transfer to a college. I've read that some community colleges have programs that allow their students to transfer to universities in the state, such as in California (UC Berkeley, UCLA etc.). You'll transfer as a sophomore (year 2) or junior (year 3) I think, I read it a long time ago, can't really remember :o . It's also cheaper, because you don't have to pay international college tuition for 4 years. Tuition fees at community college is much cheaper than at 4-year colleges.

Cheers. :)

patryn33
05-31-2011, 10:01 PM
Most singapore end up in CA doing CC, u could do your CC and aim for UT Austin too.

Without good As your dream of these top uni are out esp with biz school.
U can check UC admitted transfer student profile, iirc those transfering from CC usually have close to perfect gpa. I have also met a lot of disgrunted 4.0 students who failed to get into ULCA, UCB. The take home is GPA is not the only thing they see, recommendations, essay, CCA do play a part. Decent recommendation and ECs are often noty good enough.
A lot of singaporean students from those CC end up in USC or UC irvine

If canada is an option, u could do CC there and transfer. I have met a few students like you that had made it to UBC-Sauder. You may not think highly of this school but do look into it.

myguy
05-31-2011, 10:46 PM
I wouldn't go to community college. If you really want to go to a top school and your parents can afford it, try to get into a top private high school as a 1 year senior and work your ass off. That way you get a better shot at it as an undergraduate applicant. Although I don't know for sure, I imagine that US high school isn't as intense as A levels. Some of the top high schools like Philips Exeter can cost USD40K - as much as good US colleges charge.

You can apply to high schools at the same time as you apply to college and see whether anything pans out on the college side, but if you failed your A levels, technically you didnt finish high school. That is definitely a problem for Stern.

patryn33
06-01-2011, 01:44 AM
what is the admission like for these top private high school?
O levels results and A lvl results not good they still take anyone so long one is willing to pay?
or must his parents donate $$ on top the regular tuition to get accepted.

I know that top public high schools here are also picky. it may not be as intense, will they allow someone to go into the senior yr? U have any info on it?

myguy
06-01-2011, 06:29 PM
It's not easy to get into top prep schools, but the TS O Levels and SAT might be able to get her in. Most top prep schools do take in 1 yr seniors. I know because I was once accepted, but didn't go.

boucy
06-03-2011, 06:40 AM
weren't there school that accept students with o lvl result? I am not too sure but i have heard somewhere Purdue does accept O levels , maybe you can drop them an email and consider

patryn33
06-04-2011, 12:54 AM
Unfortunately TS isn't looking a bschool outside the top 10 or 20.

Somehow TS also went MIA, I guess TS found a solution.

adenn
06-04-2011, 03:37 PM
thanks to everyone for their insights. well i've all but given up hope on these colleges. i'm planning to apply to Ohio State, Indiana Bloomington, Purdue and Texas Austin for their spring semester to see where I stand. If i fail all their applications i'll probably go to a private college like Dean and try to transfer after my freshman year. I've a friend who went to Dean, worked her ass off and transferred to Berkeley after her freshman year. Once again thanks to everyone who helped.

patryn33
06-04-2011, 10:26 PM
indiana you may get in but not into their bschool. The same may goes to purdue.

The rest chances are very slim with the others. Good luck.