PDA

View Full Version : i am a bit confuse, help me out here!

idtyu
06-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Hi:

Thank you for taking time to read this. I am from China, and had taken my O levels , which i don't think it can be taken into consideration for University Admission. I am doing a information security diploma, which is doing university level knowledge in a diploma program. My GPA right now is 3.1, but i am quite sure i will get a 3.5 when this sem ends.

So, here are my questins:

1. For Chinese nationals, can i just take SAT instead of TOEFL ?
2. I had already registered for SAT I, and SAT 2 Chinese and going to take them at the end of this year ... i am just wondering, should i take math II which is like A-math ? my math isn't that great , it is only a B3, and i dropped my A math at Sec4. On the other hand, i used to take combined science in my sec school, will the chemistry and phsysics level be the same?
3.Is there any computer or IT subjects for SAT subject, or AP or things that can be a replacement for another SAT2 subject test ?

Again , thank you all very much for reading this. And you effort is deeply appreciated.

patryn33
06-15-2011, 07:36 AM
Thank you for taking time to read this. I am from China, and had taken my O levels , which i don't think it can be taken into consideration for University Admission. I am doing a information security diploma, which is doing university level knowledge in a diploma program. My GPA right now is 3.1, but i am quite sure i will get a 3.5 when this sem ends.

So, here are my questins:

1. For Chinese nationals, can i just take SAT instead of TOEFL ?
2. I had already registered for SAT I, and SAT 2 Chinese and going to take them at the end of this year ... i am just wondering, should i take math II which is like A-math ? my math isn't that great , it is only a B3, and i dropped my A math at Sec4. On the other hand, i used to take combined science in my sec school, will the chemistry and phsysics level be the same?
3.Is there any computer or IT subjects for SAT subject, or AP or things that can be a replacement for another SAT2 subject test ?

some Uni do take O levels as their admission, iirc Uni of Arizona, Purdue. U will not find any top 50 Uni granting that.

1. U have to do TOEFL, SAT is not a replacement for most case. Some Uni did state if U can score least 670 on the Critical Reading that can be waive.

2. which Uni are U applying? why are U taking SAT 2?

3. No computer or IT subjects in SAT 2 subject. There is no replacement for this SAT 2 subject test.

myguy
06-15-2011, 10:10 AM
I think its not so much that the top 50 don't take O Levels into consideration, but that applicants from Singapore (whether born in Singapore or not) are up against a large number of applicants who have taken their A levels, so you are disadvantaged in the battle. However, if you have 11 A1s in your O Levels and 2400 for your SAT and are an international debating champion, I'm sure that some Ivy League school will consider you.

A few schools like Brown specifically request A levels from international students, so if you don't have them, they may not consider you as having graduated from high school, which does not rule out your acceptance, but would be an impediment.

patryn33
06-15-2011, 07:25 PM
TS don't have that kind of grades and CCA so why make the kind of statement?
there are alot of back door to Ivy too, but qns is which door will open for TS if TS is interested in ivy?

I do feel ppl with your kinda of stats and have the pwr to open backdoors wouldn't be such forum.

boucy
06-15-2011, 08:36 PM
there are alot of back door to Ivy too, but qns is which door will open for TS if TS is interested in ivy?

I do feel ppl with your kinda of stats and have the pwr to open backdoors wouldn't be such forum.

backdoor? do enlighten me. Unless your talking abt Columbia GS? etc

idtyu
06-16-2011, 12:41 AM
i dunnoe wat taking u ... anyways, i wanna go Cal state and UCs ... major reason for me to take SAT is also because TOEFL is kinda ex ... haha , then i am going to do computer science, in some U , they consider it as engineering course, so i gotta take math II and physics ... i already changed my Chinese test to Physics test ... and i dun think i am back door the kinda person ...

myguy
06-16-2011, 03:44 PM

It wasn't specificially directed at the TS, rather it was what you said about the top 50 schools not taking people with O Levels. Others may be reading this thread. If you notice, I'm not disagreeing with you, just noting that its the whole package that matters rather than A levels or lack thereof.

boucy
06-16-2011, 10:40 PM
i dunnoe wat taking u ... anyways, i wanna go Cal state and UCs ... major reason for me to take SAT is also because TOEFL is kinda ex ... haha , then i am going to do computer science, in some U , they consider it as engineering course, so i gotta take math II and physics ... i already changed my Chinese test to Physics test ... and i dun think i am back door the kinda person ...

Ts please kindly wake up , for UC generally A level is preferred as compared to dip. Whats make you think your dip program is UNI level? If its local dip program , its not a great consideration . If its private :)

As a Chinese national TOEFL is almost a must , As no matter how you state to the admission officer. English is definitively not your first language so please do Google some basic info. Especially so if you do not understand what we are talking about

boucy
06-17-2011, 02:42 PM
actually, with 3.5GPA, it is possible to enter the mid/lower end UCs.
there is a whole range of UCs, catering to a whole range of academic abilities.
it is not that rare for dip grads to apply to US schools.

I know , i am a diploma holder myself. But i am questioning his assumption that his dip is "university level in a diploma program" . It also wouldnt be a major factor in his admission process.

And if his is private dip? i am sure you know the ans

patryn33
06-17-2011, 07:44 PM

Cal State? is easy shouldn't need any SAT 2.
UCs on the other hand is a different story, there are so many campus.
which campus are U going for?
I am sure UCMerced and Riverside wouldn't be that hard unlike UCB, UCLA.
the fees for these Uni are not cheap too have U looked at them? esp when U think TOEFL is expensive

U are looking at ~US$35K a yr (2011-2012yr)
http://financialaid.ucmerced.edu/cost
http://registrar.ucmerced.edu/policies/fees

at CalState is alot cheaper at ~US$16K
http://financialaid.calpoly.edu/_finaid/coa1112.html

Have U seen this b4 deciding that? Do U want to go to a good Comp Sci program or any Uni found in California?
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-science-schools/computer-science-rankings

idtyu
06-18-2011, 12:12 AM
im from NYP ... eee, well, i read some university textbooks, and my course covers like 50% of them , and my course is kinda crazy ...haha... i know cal state is a good choice, but i juz wanna challenge myself, so i juz take SAT ... itz a not bad thing to have more exam credits ... haha ...

patryn33
06-18-2011, 09:18 PM
im from NYP ... eee, well, i read some university textbooks, and my course covers like 50% of them , and my course is kinda crazy ...haha... i know cal state is a good choice, but i juz wanna challenge myself, so i juz take SAT ... itz a not bad thing to have more exam credits ... haha ...

yea some Uni here is USA is like poly, do U want to go those? U think too highly of your NYP course. I was from poly too.Cal State is a good choice? Cal State is not UC. SAT is not going to give U more credit exemptions.

I had poly friends dropping out of Comp Eng at Purdue after 1yr and I can assure standard across the ~2600 Uni/Colleges are very different. Singaporean wouldn't go for regional ranked Uni esp in Eng/Comp Sci.

I have met ppl with cum laude from top 30 regional Uni and standard is just like Poly grads. btw what makes you think the textbook U read is a junior level or Senior level course? BTW a Senior usually takes 2-3 classes at Grad level.

So are you kidding yourself when U say the above in bold?