PDA

View Full Version : Application for the SUTD undergraduate programme is now open!

SUTD_Rep
11-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Hi all

At SUTD, our unique pedagogy of community learning and quality interaction among students and faculty leads to a faculty to students ratio of 1 to 11. With this interactive environment and state-of-the-art research facilities, every student is encouraged to discover from day one.

If you have what it takes, visit www.sutd.edu.sg and find out how you can have a revolutionary education, plus build an exciting career and a better world.

Application for the SUTD undergraduate programme is now open!

APPLICATION PERIOD
October - December 2011: Singapore-Cambridge 'A' Levels
October 2011 - March 2012: Local Polytechnic Diploma & All other Local Qualifications

You can apply to us at http://www.sutd.edu.sg/undergrad_apply.aspx. We look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers
SUTD

deer
11-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Hi there how come for A levels the deadline is Dec? Shouldn't it be after we collect our A level results?

teddynuts
11-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Hi there how come for A levels the deadline is Dec? Shouldn't it be after we collect our A level results?

I think it is to ease the stress of applying after A levels because many things occur simultaneously during those few days. Anyway, isn't it nice to know that you have a university spot even before the A level results? :)

deer
11-06-2011, 02:56 PM
My prelim results are far far far from what SUTD would want I think :(

teddynuts
11-06-2011, 05:39 PM
My prelim results are far far far from what SUTD would want I think :(

I think the SUTD official rep is in the best position to comment, but in my opinion, I think that is why there are essays, portfolio, interview, etc. All of our Prelim grades are far from desirable IMO...they were made that way. So I think the portfolio/essay/interview also all play an important role...perhaps when summed up, the non-academic factors may trump the academic factors.

SUTD_Rep
11-11-2011, 04:48 PM
Hi Deer and Teddynuts

SUTD will be granting provisional offers to ‘A’ Levels students based on their preliminary results and the application deadline is 31 December 2011. The provisional offers will be converted to firm offers based on the actual results, available in March 2012.

Students who do not meet the requirements based on the admissions criteria set during the first phase would have their applications placed in the Keep in View (KIV) list. The admission status of the students would be made based on the actual 'A' levels results.

If you have further questions, please feel free to call us at 6303 6655 or email us at [email protected]

Regards
SUTD

deer
11-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Hi SUTD Rep

For architecture pillar, how much designing is involved? It does seem like the degree is geared towards engineering. Especially after seeing the coursework for the first year. (Chem not really related to architecture? Calculus too? Why not vectors?)

SUTD_Rep
11-16-2011, 03:52 PM
Hi Deer

Thank you for your interest in SUTD.

There is a concerted effort to ensure that design is embedded into the curriculum and that it cuts across subjects and levels from Term 1. Introduction to Design, which is taught in Term 2, will expose students to the various design concepts; from the Architectural as well as the Engineering viewpoints. In addition, Designette concepts will be introduced twice a term to connect all subjects together to reinforce SUTD’s Big-D concept. Thematic designette will be incorporated to link subjects vertically. More importantly, through the 5th Row (i.e., CCA), students will further gain other design experience. The first 3 terms are designed to provide students with a strong foundation in the Sciences and the Humanities as we recognise that the industries expect their employees to be multi-disciplinary.

Students who choose the Architecture and Sustainable Design (ASD) pillar, besides pursuing architecture studio design in each term, are required to know building materials. Having a strong grounding in Chemistry is essential since chemicals in the elements could affect the durability of these materials and the suitability of these materials used in certain environments. A substantial amount of calculation goes into an architect's daily job such as calculating the floor space/area, determining if the structure could hold the weight etc. Having a good grounding in calculus would help. Please be assured that vectors will also be taught in the Freshman year.

Regards
SUTD

marrior
01-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Hi! I am graduating from Singapore Polytechnic this year. I am very very very keen to know if an average GPA of 3.1 would be accepted into SUTD. It's true that my academic results are not good, but i have learnt many other skills on designing and implementing. It took some courage for me to apply for SUTD. I would really like to know at least if my skills will be considered, "regardless" of my more than average grade. Thanks! Hope to hear from you soon!