PDA

View Full Version : US Schools' Reputations

officertobe
11-20-2011, 11:14 AM
Hello!

Would like to ask about your own opinion regarding these schools. I have observed the Times, QS, and ARWU rankings and know generally where these schools stand, but what I really want to know is their reputation amongst the general population/ employers.

What you think really matters to me, because it will help me in making my decision, thank you! I am gonna study economics.

I have ranked my choices accordingly to their reputation, what do you think? I am especially keen on knowing what you guys think about UC berkeley.

1) Stanford
2) University of California, Berkeley
3) Cornell
4) University of Chicago
5) University of Michigan
6) University of California, Los Angeles

teddynuts
11-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Hello!

Would like to ask about your own opinion regarding these schools. I have observed the Times, QS, and ARWU rankings and know generally where these schools stand, but what I really want to know is their reputation amongst the general population/ employers.

What you think really matters to me, because it will help me in making my decision, thank you! I am gonna study economics.

I have ranked my choices accordingly to their reputation, what do you think? I am especially keen on knowing what you guys think about UC berkeley.

1) Stanford
2) University of California, Berkeley
3) Cornell
4) University of Chicago
5) University of Michigan
6) University of California, Los Angeles

These schools are all really reputed...but your ranking shows their corresponding reputation. They are considered all Tier 1 schools ,but within the Tier 1 is further sub divisions. For example, Stanford, UC Berkeley, Cornell are slightly (i say slightly) more reputed than UChicago and UMich.

Within these schools, reputation does not really matter any more. Go with the school you think you will feel most comfortable in. But apply for all though...admissions are extremely competitive in all 6 schools, especially Stanford, Berkeley n Cornell. After you get admitted, choose from there. :)

PureFitness
11-20-2011, 04:55 PM
For example, Stanford, UC Berkeley, Cornell are slightly (i say slightly) more reputed than UChicago and UMich.

For Econs, Chicago has a better reputation than Cornell (partly because of historical legacy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_school_of_economics)
But the general sentiment is that Chicago isn't exactly the place to go if you want to play hard while working hard.

sqgator
02-11-2012, 05:17 PM
Best school for Economics on that list is U of Chicago. Only Harvard, Princeton and MIT are as good as U of Chicago in Economics.