PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma...

chocol80
12-08-2011, 06:52 PM
I have received job offers from a stat board and another from a European MNC. Am in a dilemma and wondering which to choose? Heard from my friends that public sector is more rigid than MNCs, however its more stable as compared to working in a private sector. Appreciate if anyone can share their experiences?

PureFitness
12-08-2011, 11:27 PM
Well, I'm working in the private sector so I might be biased, but from what I've noticed from my friends working in mncs vs stat boards

- It is easier to switch from mnc to stat board than the other way around
- Potential for salary increment in mncs is faster than stat board (especially if you are the ambitious, go-getter kind and you're good in networking etc).
- More opportunities for travel, overseas posting that sort of thing (again, this is dependent on your company).

With regards to stability, it really depends on your sector and job scope. The are some jobs in the private sector where demand for labour > supply for labour, that your position would be quite stable (that even if your company meets a catastrophe and you lose your job, you'll quickly get higher offers from competitors --> real life story which I've seen happen).

And there are some jobs in stat boards which are perpetually on contract basis with little hope of being converted to perm. So you've gotta do more research on the specific organisation/position itself.