PDA

View Full Version : Chances for US schools

Undercover
01-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Hello,

I would like to ask about my chances at the US universities below. My credentials:

SAT reasoning: 2310/2400
SAT subject tests: 780 Biology M, 800 Math II
A levels: 7 distinctions - 4 H2s, GP, PW, Mother tongue. H3 pass

Scholarship: I'm covered by a Singapore organization, which will fully sponsor my education overseas, thus I'm not applying for financial aid.

Awards (I'm from a top JC):
- Many school-based awards including top-student awards for economics and project work, outstanding student awards etc.
- One first-prize award in a national writing competition.
- I might include my distinction in the Australian Math Competition as well (international competition).

Extra-curriculars:
- President of my CCA
- EXCO of two service-learning projects
- Leader of a 2-month Member of Parliament (MP) attachment
- 2-month internship at a government stat board
- An immersion programme at Government Investment Corporation (GIC)
- Different exposures in army - Officer Cadet School to learn how to lead a team of 27 men, then to a human resource branch to coordinate manpower allocation etc.

Schools I'm applying to, in order of preference (planned major: economics or business):

i) Stanford (Restrictive Early Decision)
ii) University of Chicago
iii) University of Columbia
iv) University of Pennsylvania
v) University of California, Berkeley
vi) Cornell University
vii) University of Michigan
viii) New York University (Stern Business School)
ix) University of California, Los Angeles
x) Northwestern University

I would appreciate if you could chance me for these schools.

Also a question: There's a section on the form for "Class Rank", may I know how I can fill in this column? Do I compare it with my entire cohort, or just my class of 25 people?

Thanks guys!

teddynuts
01-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Hello,

I would like to ask about my chances at the US universities below. My credentials:

SAT reasoning: 2310/2400
SAT subject tests: 780 Biology M, 800 Math II
A levels: 7 distinctions - 4 H2s, GP, PW, Mother tongue. H3 pass

Scholarship: I'm covered by a Singapore organization, which will fully sponsor my education overseas, thus I'm not applying for financial aid.

Awards (I'm from a top JC):
- Many school-based awards including top-student awards for economics and project work, outstanding student awards etc.
- One first-prize award in a national writing competition.
- I might include my distinction in the Australian Math Competition as well (international competition).

Extra-curriculars:
- President of my CCA
- EXCO of two service-learning projects
- Leader of a 2-month Member of Parliament (MP) attachment
- 2-month internship at a government stat board
- An immersion programme at Government Investment Corporation (GIC)
- Different exposures in army - Officer Cadet School to learn how to lead a team of 27 men, then to a human resource branch to coordinate manpower allocation etc.

Schools I'm applying to, in order of preference (planned major: economics or business):

i) Stanford (Restrictive Early Decision)
ii) University of Chicago
iii) University of Columbia
iv) University of Pennsylvania
v) University of California, Berkeley
vi) Cornell University
vii) University of Michigan
viii) New York University (Stern Business School)
ix) University of California, Los Angeles
x) Northwestern University

I would appreciate if you could chance me for these schools.

Also a question: There's a section on the form for "Class Rank", may I know how I can fill in this column? Do I compare it with my entire cohort, or just my class of 25 people?

Thanks guys!

Your grades and test scores are excellent, with the exception of your H3. What scholarship do you hold btw?

You have pretty good chances for all the schools, and I can say that UChicago, UMich, NYU, Northwestern are nearly 'sure-admit' schools, but that also depends on your teacher recommendations and essays and many other factors; otherwise you should be fine.

Stanford REA (not RED) is over sorry...so I assume you are doing this year application. Stanford, UPenn, U Berkeley are still un-sure because there are many people with your grades n portfolio or better and dont get admitted. It really boils down to your ability to write essays that convey your personality, secure good teacher recommendations and really show that you can make a contribution to the school.

Dont fill anything in for class rank, GPA or sorts. The school transcript your school sends will tell them everything and they are comfortable with Singapore transcripts.

If you need to know more about Stanford or UMich, let me know. I applied early for both, admitted for both (besides UIUC) :)

LAWass
01-24-2012, 05:36 PM
"Credentials" part - you seem pretty secure. Just as most applicants to these colleges are. No probs there. But you need to stand out and that's where your personal statement(s) come in. UCLA receives the largest number of applicants every year, and all of them with stellar grades, AP scores and GPAs. What counts most in instances where all of these applicants come in with stellar grades and achievements, is the personal statement. Make that count the most. Good luck.

myguy
03-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Reach: Stanford, Columbia, Penn
Match: Chicago, Cornell, UCB, Stern, Northwestern
Safeties: UCLA, UMich

To be honest, your stats, while impressive are typical of most good Singaporean applicants. Unless you are a national athelete or have a string of Gold medals in Math and Physics, the lower ivies are always going to be touch and go. The problem is not you per se, but that the large Singaporean applicant pool to which you are compared. Hence to stand a chance at Stanford, you need to be truly outstanding either at the international level or have perfect SATs. A wonderfully written essay can help a bit. Chicago is your 2nd choice, but they don't typically take in a lot of Singaporeans and there are a lot of applicants due to their strength in economics. Of the match schools, your best prospects are Berkeley and Cornell who admit a LOT of Singaporeans. Just my 2 cents.