BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Medicine, Dentistry & Healthcare
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:39 AM   #1
wendy

wendy has a neutral reputation
Default overseas Universities offering medicine

Hi, I'm a student currently waiting for the release of A level results. I am aware that NUS is the only university in Singapore that has medicine as one of its discipline. If I would like to pursue studies overseas such as in UK, USA and Australia, what would be some of the decent medical universities that I may consider?

Moreover, I would also wish to enquire about scholarships associated with Medicine in Singapore and overseas, and the available grants, loans, trusts that some overseas universities have in place for medical students.

Thanks a lot (:
wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:02 PM   #2
Michelle
BrightSparks Expert

Michelle has a neutral reputation
Default US Medical Schools

Medical schools in the US are graduate schools, meaning you need to have done an undergraduate program first before you can enrol. Competition is very tough so your undergrad GPA and MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test) score must be very high. It takes 3-4 years of undergrad college + 4 years of medical school + 3 years of residency at a hospital = 10-11 years. A pretty long time...

Here are some criteria for an MD program which will vary from school to school:
  • Your undergrad degree should be from a US college (the verifying body AMCAS will not verify foreign degrees) and preferably 4 years long
  • You need to have studied science subjects like biology, chemistry, life sciences at undergrad levels.
  • Some schools like top ranked U Washington only accepts citizens or perm residents.
  • You will be asked to write quite a few personal statements.
  • You are
likely to be interviewed.

2008 Top Medical Schools
Provided by U.S.News & World Report

Research

Harvard University
Johns Hopkins University
University of Pennsylvania
Washington University in St. Louis
University of California–San Francisco
University of Washington
Stanford University
Duke University
Yale University
Baylor College of Medicine (TX)
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (NY)
Complete list of Top Medical Schools - Research

Primary Care

University of Washington
University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill
University of Colorado–Denver and Health Sciences Center
Oregon Health and Science University
Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
East Carolina University (Brody) (NC)
University of Vermont
University of California–San Francisco
University of Wisconsin–Madison
University of Nebraska College of Medicine
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:40 AM   #3
wendy

wendy has a neutral reputation

Hi Michelle,

thank you for providing me with so much information!

On top of that, I would like to ask, that i were to pursue undergraduate medical course before i enter post grad medicine, would the overseas universities that you have recommended have such undergrad courses available? can you tell me more about undergrad studies as the whole thing still seems quite blurry to me. How should I go about taking up medicine overseas, after the release of the results?

thanks (:
wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
Sparks

Sparks has a neutral reputation

Hi Wendy,

One point to note, if u r intending to practise medicine in Singapore, do take a look at the list of registrable medical degrees via the URLs as stated below:

1) Basic Medical Degrees :

https://www.smc.gov.sg/html/1153709442948.html

2) Postgraduate Medical Degrees :

https://www.smc.gov.sg/html/1192420061420.html

Or you may refer to the Singapore Medical Council's Website @ http://www.smc.gov.sg .
Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:21 PM   #5
Michelle
BrightSparks Expert

Michelle has a neutral reputation
Default Pre-med Track

Hi wendy,

Many colleges/unis in the US offer structured premed track, you dont graduate with a "premed degree", but often you will graduate with majors like biology, life sciences etc. Thus, a premed coursework is called a track, not a program. Premed track basically means you take courses and do things in your undergraduate years that will prepare you for medical school (which is a post grad program in the US). Premed = Pre-medical school

In the premed track, a student may customise their own undergrad program to make sure they fulfill all the basic requirements for entry into a medical school, including taking all the right courses at the right levels, preparing and take the MCAT and also doing extra-curriculum work like volunteering or interning at medical facilities. All these to show a medical school that you are committed to this career and give you a leg up on the other candidates.

Check out wikipedia for a good overview of a premed track: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-medical

In addition, check out http://www.aamc.org/start.htm for a great place to start your plans for a medical career. This site lists all the medical schools in the US, infor about the standard tests, requirements and also provides useful tools to plan your curriculum.

Go read!
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:54 PM   #6
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

i'm sorry, but we can forget about getting into medical school in US as international students. sure, we've all heard about the one or two who have made it, but those are the exceptions, not the rule. it's EXTREMELY competitive for internationals, even for those who graduate with a strong premed track, top the school, do lots of community service etc. i cannot emphasize how hard it is except that you might have a better chance of winning toto.

and it takes too long anyway :P go for UK or australia if you wanna go overseas.
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:33 PM   #7
bumblebee

bumblebee has a neutral reputation

Hi everyone, i'm new here.
I'm interested in taking Medicine in Australia, but i've only got 2A2B for my H2s in A levels. I was wondering if Australian unis like UNSW and UWA will accept me with these grades? I'd like to have a rough gauge before applying first. Any kind of help is appreciated. Thank you very much!
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:39 AM   #8
appple

appple has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Hi everyone, i'm new here.
I'm interested in taking Medicine in Australia, but i've only got 2A2B for my H2s in A levels. I was wondering if Australian unis like UNSW and UWA will accept me with these grades? I'd like to have a rough gauge before applying first. Any kind of help is appreciated. Thank you very much!
based on what i found out from idp you met the minimum entry requirement for uwa. uwa's min entry requirement is 14 points and unsw's is 15. they calculate the a levels score based on a= 5pts, b=4pts, c=3pts and so on. maybe you can try adelaide as well? their's is 12 points.
appple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:23 PM   #9
saltyeclipse

saltyeclipse has a neutral reputation
Default Interviews for Overseas Medicine

Hey does anyone know if overseas unis conduct interviews for medicine and dentistry like they do here in singapore? Or do some just conduct phone interviews or accept based on the grades and testimonials we send to them?

Thanks!
saltyeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:31 PM   #10
appple

appple has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyeclipse View Post
Hey does anyone know if overseas unis conduct interviews for medicine and dentistry like they do here in singapore? Or do some just conduct phone interviews or accept based on the grades and testimonials we send to them?

Thanks!
for australia, i know of a couple of universities that will conduct their interviews here for med but unsw does it over the phone. and aus unis usually require you to sit for some additional test

most uk unis will require you to fly over for interviews for med and you'll have to take a test as well...and i think a particular irish uni does conduct its interviews here.

not too sure for dentistry though, but you can always ask the unis (:
appple is offline   Reply With Quote