BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Business, Accountancy & Finance
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:44 AM   #11
yanshuo

yanshuo has a neutral reputation

How about for investment banking in Singapore?
yanshuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:17 AM   #12
spencer

spencer has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanshuo View Post
How about for investment banking in Singapore?
My understanding is that grad vaccines for HK and Sing offices are filled by US, UK and in some cases Australian grads. Local students hardly get a look (until very recently, where truly exceptional ones may get an interview). A friend of mine from Cam is going to start work at McKinsey HK later this year.

I would also add that NUS is no where near the Ivies. Would be hard pressed to be near UC Davis. Certainly not near UCSB's level in terms of research.
spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:45 AM   #13
Namn

Namn has a neutral reputation
Wink Learn about Masters in Finance

If you are considering a degree in engineering a Master in Finance is also a good way to apply your quantitative skills, and this is an education that really pays off.

If you are looking for an overview of Master in Finance programs http://www.mscfinance.com/
provides an extensive overview of Master in Finance programs worldwide.
Namn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:57 AM   #14
spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namn View Post
If you are considering a degree in engineering a Master in Finance is also a good way to apply your quantitative skills, and this is an education that really pays off.

If you are looking for an overview of Master in Finance programs http://www.mscfinance.com/
provides an extensive overview of Master in Finance programs worldwide.
MSc Finance is the worst degree you can get.

Better MFE.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:33 AM   #15
Namn

Namn has a neutral reputation
Lightbulb MSc in finance vs MFE

Thank you for sharing your view on this matter. Personally I think that a master in finance is broader than a MFE, thus it gives more freedom to choose.
Namn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:44 AM   #16
spencer

Quote:
Thank you for sharing your view on this matter. Personally I think that a master in finance is broader than a MFE, thus it gives more freedom to choose.
There are way tooo many MSc Finance, MBA and such grads around the world. I advise you against it.

Last time, CFA was rare. But now, loads of people are doing CFAs and the supply > demand.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:45 AM   #17
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

Quote:
If you're already doing your Masters and still have no idea what career you want to go to, then I think it's time you sat down and thought long and hard to make up your mind.
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:37 AM   #18
spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockT31W View Post
If you're already doing your Masters and still have no idea what career you want to go to, then I think it's time you sat down and thought long and hard to make up your mind.
His career choice depends on the future employment market.

I would say that Finance's most glorious days are probably over. It's going to be like the dot coms, there will be more of them after the bust, but the profit margin would be lower.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:38 AM   #19
spencer

Quote:
There are way too many CFAs around. Trust me.

Also, CFA is more useful for equity research or asset management, but not for most other areas of investment banking .
Old 03-04-2009, 09:23 AM   #20
yanshuo

yanshuo has a neutral reputation

Wikipedia: Comparison of MFE with MSc(Finance) and MBA

Quote:
The program differs from that of a Master of Science in Finance (MSF), and an MBA in finance, in that these degrees aims to produce finance generalists as opposed to "quants", and therefore focus on corporate finance, accounting, equity valuation and portfolio management. The treatment of any common topics - usually financial modeling and risk management - will be less (or even non) technical. Entrance requirements are similarly less mathematical.

In addition to the study of probability, there are various other topics that would be considered part of both actuarial science and quantitative finance [14], and there is therefore some overlap between the degrees (and they are often offered by the same department). Nevertheless, quantitative finance programs are distinct from those in actuarial science [15]. Specifically, whereas actuarial programs cover risk and uncertainty as applied to pensions, insurance and investments, quantitative finance programs are broader (although offer less depth in these areas), and prepare graduates for the various highly numerate roles in finance [16] - and for other areas that require "quants" [17].

There is some overlap with a Master of Financial Economics although the emphasis is very different. This degree focuses on the underlying economics, and on developing and testing theoretical models, and aims to prepare graduates for research based roles and for doctoral study. The curriculum thererfore emphasises coverage of financial theory, and of econometrics, while the treatment of model implementation (through mathematical modeling and programing), while important, is secondary. Entrance requirements are similarly less mathematical. Note that some Financial Economics degrees are substantially quantitative, and are largely akin to the MQF.

For students whose interests in finance are commercial rather than academic, a Masters in Quantitative Finance may be seen as an alternative to a PhD in finance. At the same time though, “Masters in Mathematical Finance” programs are often positioned as providing a basis for doctoral study.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_...al_Engineering

Wikipedia on CFA:

Quote:
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) is an international professional designation offered by the CFA Institute of USA (formerly known as AIMR) to financial analysts who complete a series of three examinations. In order to become a "CFA Charterholder" candidates must pass all three six-hour exams, having already completed either a bachelor's degree or four years of professional work experience. CFA charterholders are also obligated to adhere to a strict Code of Ethics and Standards governing their professional conduct.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charter...ancial_Analyst

spencer, do you have anything to add on to these definitions?
yanshuo is offline   Reply With Quote