BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > SMU
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
magekin

magekin has a neutral reputation
Default SMU School of Social Sciences

Hey all, I've an interview with the SMU School of Social Sciences tomorrow and I would like to know what are the questions they will ask, and also what kind of interview is it? thanks much
magekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
gemini_girl24

gemini_girl24 has a neutral reputation

From what I heard, the Social Sciences interview is individual.. But not sure of the type of questions that they ask though, but basically you should be in control throughout the interview. Cos I got shortlisted for Economics interview. (: Hope it goes well for you! All the best!
gemini_girl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
bluedye

bluedye has a neutral reputation

Hi! Just for those who have yet to sit for the interview for sch of social sciences and would like to know more about it:

I went for my interview today, was the last interviewee of the day. I don't think there is a need to dress too formally cos I think I was dressed the most formally there, and I've also read from the other thread that what you wear really wouldn't affect your chances of getting accepted into the uni anyway.

It was an individual interview, 1 interviewee to 2 interviewers. They were very nice people, very approachable, smiled alot too and they tried to make the interview as casual as possible. They basically asked about my previous job, what I learnt from there, to which I started talking about having to handle inconsiderate customers. Then they asked me what I think will be effective in making customers more considerate and understanding towards sales personnel, etc. They also asked what role I usually take on in a team, my hobbies/interests, why I chose social sciences, why the switch from science stream in JC and if I will be able to handle the change. They ended it off by asking if I had any questions for them. You should prepare at least 1 or 2 quality questions for them, probably something course-related?

Like what others have said, you're pretty much in control of your interview, and most of the time the questions they ask flow along your subject matter. So just keep on going in the direction you want the interview to go and you'll find that you will be at an advantage in answering the qns they ask you further into the interview. I was not asked anything regarding current affairs, so lucky me!

Hope this helped!
bluedye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:05 AM   #4
pearl

pearl has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedye View Post
Hi! Just for those who have yet to sit for the interview for sch of social sciences and would like to know more about it:

I went for my interview today, was the last interviewee of the day. I don't think there is a need to dress too formally cos I think I was dressed the most formally there, and I've also read from the other thread that what you wear really wouldn't affect your chances of getting accepted into the uni anyway.

It was an individual interview, 1 interviewee to 2 interviewers. They were very nice people, very approachable, smiled alot too and they tried to make the interview as casual as possible. They basically asked about my previous job, what I learnt from there, to which I started talking about having to handle inconsiderate customers. Then they asked me what I think will be effective in making customers more considerate and understanding towards sales personnel, etc. They also asked what role I usually take on in a team, my hobbies/interests, why I chose social sciences, why the switch from science stream in JC and if I will be able to handle the change. They ended it off by asking if I had any questions for them. You should prepare at least 1 or 2 quality questions for them, probably something course-related?

Like what others have said, you're pretty much in control of your interview, and most of the time the questions they ask flow along your subject matter. So just keep on going in the direction you want the interview to go and you'll find that you will be at an advantage in answering the qns they ask you further into the interview. I was not asked anything regarding current affairs, so lucky me!

Hope this helped!
hey bluedye, thanks so much for sharing! you really helped ppl like me big time
pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:21 AM   #5
bluedye

bluedye has a neutral reputation

no problem at all all the best for your interview!
bluedye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
qwerty

qwerty has a neutral reputation

Is anyone else keen to share their experience of the Social Science interview?
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #7
lee

lee has a neutral reputation

a really simple q&a session.
they ask about your interests etc.
opinions about certain things that you study, if you do literature,
they are more inclined to ask you about that.
individual interview, casual atmosphere i thought.
they develop the questions as the conversation continues,
after a few standard ones like
'what do you intend to pursue?'
it always helps to show that you are aware of the challenges that comes with
your course, and that you are eager to overcome them.

cheers.
lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
qwerty

qwerty has a neutral reputation

Thanks (: Will there be a test?
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:07 PM   #9
s0ulz

s0ulz has a neutral reputation
Default SMU SoSS

Anybody knows what are the chances of getting into SMU's social science faculty after going for the interview?

Cause from what I know SMU interview all the shortlisted candidates. But I just wonder if from the pool of shortlisted candidates.. how many actually get in.
s0ulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
s0ulz

s0ulz has a neutral reputation

Anybody knows? =)
s0ulz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hss, humanities, smu, social sciences