BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Medicine, Dentistry & Healthcare
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:17 AM   #11
Shar-

Shar- has a neutral reputation
Default pharmacy? is it for me?

hi all,

i have gotten pretty satisfying results for A's- 4 H2 As and GP B, PW and Chi A as well. i will probably apply for pharm at nus, but i have friends discouraging me, saying that its really tough and monotonous. however, i would like a job handling patients in the future. doing ward rounds and discussing drug uses for ailment interest me alot. but i am afraid that the course is really as what my friends told me. is pharmacy really that monotonous and are there very complex chemical stuff to grasp? pls give some advice. thanks..
Shar- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:23 AM   #12
studygm

studygm has a neutral reputation

Pharmacy modules are quite interesting if you like discussing drug aliments. You need to study and look at various organic compounds as part of the course. There is also a fair amount of experiments and labwork.
Do not worry about the complex chemical stuff, it is very progressive and in the 1st semester I heard it is a lot of A level stuff.
My friends who did pharmacy there said its pretty fun overall.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:24 AM   #13
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

Shar-, I think you have a very clear idea of the kind of job you like, and it seems like you may have some sort of work experience in pharmacy. I think that your friends are probably not as passionate about pharmacy as you are, and naturally they'll find it boring. If you are really sure about your career choice, then you can endure no matter how boring the course is. Think about it, it's only 4 years of your life in exchange for a satisfying career until you retire.

I'm sure you've already read the following, but just in case you haven't, do read the
FAQ: http://www.pharmacy.nus.edu.sg/prosp...udents2009.doc
the course structure: http://www.pharmacy.nus.edu.sg/stude...takecourse.htm

Also, just to confirm, you did take Bio and Chem at A levels?
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:57 PM   #14
Shar-

Shar- has a neutral reputation

yea, i took H2 bio and chem. but i don understand, since its so much of chemical stuff, why is bio a pre-requisite? personally, i am slightly more interested in bio den chem. will pharm still be a right choice? and thank you for ur advices.. its making me feel more assured and certain of my decision. i have read up quite a bit of the course structure, but still i don get a very clear idea of the syallabus. if possible, can list some examples of the modules etc. thank you so much=)
Shar- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:55 AM   #15
jess

jess has a neutral reputation

Just two quick questions from someone who's interested in applying to pharmacy.

1) I heard that the intake for this year will be increased to 300. Is this true?

2) I heard that this course is getting more competitive and as a result, starting from last year, there's an interview round everyone has to go through. Can anyone confirm this?

Thank you!
jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:42 PM   #16
roverbenz87

roverbenz87 has a neutral reputation

Yeah. I think you should really read up on what the Pharmacy course is like FIRST, before deciding on applying for it. Read the syllabus on the NUS website, look at what it is and how it's like studying there. Pharmacy's not an easy course. When i took a pharmacy general education module, the professor mentioned that pharmacy students have ALOT to memorise and learn, cos there's no room for mistakes when they enter the society as a registered pharmacist. But, undeniably, pharmacy modules can be quite interesting if you have tremendous interest in pharmaceutical stuff, or medicinal chemistry.

The advice i got from my teachers in JC was that the pharmaceutical industry has a very flat heirarchy, and you need be very outstanding in order to promote and do policy making alongside other medical professionals.

I also think that if ure seriously interested in drug discovery, u could consider doing chemistry instead. And then branch into applied chem in NUS and do a concentration in medicinal chem. All the best!
roverbenz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:07 PM   #17
stillconfused

stillconfused has a neutral reputation

Hi. I'm very interested in pharmacy...i think drug reserach and being a pharmarcist is quite meaningful...but i'm worried that i'm nt able 2 get into NUS pharmacy.
I only gt 3 H2 A for econs,maths n bio. My H2 chem is B. PW and GP are Bs. I'm worried that my B for chem is nt sufficient as it is mention that very good pass in bio n chem is needed.
stillconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:15 PM   #18
a_p

a_p has a neutral reputation

urm B is a very good pass my friend. And im pretty sure with those results, you should have a pretty good chance of getting into pharmacy.
a_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #19
Mel88

Mel88 has a neutral reputation
Default Difference btwn pharmacology and pharmacy

Hi,

I'm currently pretty interested in Pharmacology which i will have to persue in Australia. But i'm having mix response from people. Could someone tell me whats the difference between pharmacology and pharmacy in the job aspect part in Singapore.

Thank you!
Mel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:38 AM   #20
roverbenz87

roverbenz87 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillconfused View Post
Hi. I'm very interested in pharmacy...i think drug reserach and being a pharmarcist is quite meaningful...but i'm worried that i'm nt able 2 get into NUS pharmacy.
I only gt 3 H2 A for econs,maths n bio. My H2 chem is B. PW and GP are Bs. I'm worried that my B for chem is nt sufficient as it is mention that very good pass in bio n chem is needed.
Just apply for pharm. IF u dont get it, at most do applied chem and enter medicinal chemistry. You'll do drug research as well. IT's just that you won't get to become a registered pharmacist, and you cannot be licensed to dispense. You can only develop medicines. Haha.
roverbenz87 is offline   Reply With Quote