BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > SMU
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #21
Tan

Tan has a neutral reputation

Thank you for the swift replies. I really appreciate both of your help and for not passing this of as irrelvant stuffs. Once again, thanks. =)

Last edited by Tan; 03-02-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:20 PM   #22
SonofThunder

SonofThunder has a neutral reputation
Default To Seeweiren: How do you deal with freerider?

Dear SeeWeiRen,

I am really encouraged by what you shared about SMU study life. Just 'd like to check whether you are willing to share your experience to deal with freeriders and how you motivate your team members when doing projects.
My email address is [email protected].
Thank you very much.
Best regards
SonofThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:55 PM   #23
pnrcewpuyqrvf

pnrcewpuyqrvf has a neutral reputation

http://news.omy.sg: 大学生申诉:做专题作业 没名牌没 档

大学生申诉,没有名牌包,连做专题 业的搭挡都找不到!

网民eatoofull在本地论坛上爆料,听朋 说在新加坡管理大学(SMU)读书,如 没有车,不穿戴名牌,没有iPhone或iPa d,社交时会遭受排挤。

此帖一出,马上引起不少网友回应。

网友SpinFire说:“对啊,女生至少要拿 一个Coach包包、男生也一定至少要有个 iPhone4和Gucci或LV钱包,否则没人要和你 做专题作业,就连运动或消闲俱乐部 不收你做会员。”

声称是新大学生的zeroboi说,入学前最 向父母要一辆车,不然交不到女朋友 。

他说:“这里的学生很有钱,真的很 钱。”

另一网友甚至说,新大是一所想当精 的人和精英凑成的大学。

不过,并非所有网民都认同,也有人 新大有不少出身平凡人。

ikileo说,认识不少过简单生活,却有 多朋友的新大学生。“这不在于你拥 什么,而是你如何与他人交流。”

新大:校方更注重品德
新大指出,网上讨论的只是个别例子 非普遍趋势。

新大学务长刘奕明副教授说,校方除 注重教育学生的思维,也强调价值观 品德。

所有新生需参加新生团队建设营,学 奉献、诚信、责任感、协作性、领导 能和卓越性等。

此外,虽然校方为培养学生回馈社会 规定学生须完成至少80小时社区服务 但超过半数学生却做了120到500小时。

Google translation:

Student complaints, no brand-name bags, to do project work with could not find her partner!

Internet users eatoofull broke the news in the local forum, listening to friends in Singapore Management University (SMU) study,
If there is no car, not wearing brand names, no iPhone or iPad, will suffer social exclusion.

This post came out, causing many users to respond immediately.

User SpinFire said: "ah, girls bring at least one Coach bag, boys also must be at least
There iPhone4 and LV wallet Gucci or otherwise unwanted, and you do project work, and even the movement or elimination
You do not receive free club membership. "

New students zeroboi claimed that the best pre-school to the parents to a car, or pay less than a girlfriend
Friends.

He said: "The students here are very rich, really rich."

Another netizen even said that the new is a large elite and the elite wants to make up the university.

However, not all users agree, some said that a great many of the new birth ordinary people.

ikileo said, know quite a few to live a simple life, there are many friends of the new students. "It's not that you have
What, but how you communicate with others. "

SMU: schools pay more attention to moral
New large that only isolated cases of online discussion, not the general trend.

Liu Yi-Ming Hsin University, Associate Professor of Finance, said the school of thought in addition to emphasis on education of students, also emphasizes the values and goods
De.

All new students need to participate in new business team building, learning dedication, integrity, responsibility, cooperation, leadership
And excellence and so on.

In addition, although the school to train students to contribute to the community, requiring students to complete at least 80 hours of community service, but
More than half of the students are doing 120-500 hours.

from: http://news.omy.sg/News/Local%2BNews...-198875/2.html
pnrcewpuyqrvf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:22 PM   #24
chezar

chezar has a neutral reputation

Pardon my terse reply, but i think this is ridiculous.

Disclaimer: i have no wish for this to become some unnecessary lengthy debate abt materialism, but i think this is far too extreme.
chezar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:40 PM   #25
Haecceity

Haecceity has a neutral reputation

@pnrcewpuyqrvf: I think the specific article link is this.

@chezar: elaborate? The article or the culture suggested by the article?
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.
Haecceity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #26
thedr3am

thedr3am has a neutral reputation

can you kindly give me more info about Quantitative finance??? what is it about?
thedr3am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:33 PM   #27
k3nsh3e

k3nsh3e has a neutral reputation

Hey any seniors from SMU can help me to clarify some trivial questions?

Firstly, do students of different faculties get to interact with one another? Like will they ever do project work/presentation together? And are there ample opportunities for you to attend seminars in other faculties?
Secondly, how long do you usually have to work with your project team members? Do professors usually assign you to a team?

Thanks in advance
k3nsh3e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #28

1234567 has a neutral reputation

Hi, I am a freshman in SMU this year and I do agree that SMU can get pretty stressful. Especially when it's nearing tests or deadlines for projects or presentations. I've had friends who had to stay over in school for overnight meetings etc. But then again, if you would think about it, SMU graduates do have pretty decent prospects when we graduate and I do think it is worth putting in the hard work for.

People skills are definitely important here because SMU is a relatively small community and you tend to know / hear about people here and there. It's really up to you though, if you want to be a hermit and just do your own thing, it's possible too. Really just how you want to craft your uni life. You don't have to be a complete extrovert to have decent people skills though, SMU provides a lot of opportunities for you to get to know others. So you can just make use of them.

Also, wrt handing your work in last minute, there's nothing wrong with that as long as it's your individual piece. If it's a group work, you're more than likely to just piss your whole group off.

SMU does have peer evaluation but no one here is that bitchy to grade lousily someone who does work. Unless the working experience has been completely horrible. Or you do really terrible work which results in your groupmates having to redo everything for you. I don't think the profs will look for you to get you to explain your peer evaluation if you got really bad comments from your groupmates because if it is something that is evident in all your groupmates' evaluations, it is more likely than not that there is something wrong with you.

If you are a slack person who is used to dealing with work at the last minute, you might want to change that because as I have mentioned, it is likely that your group will get really annoyed with you.

I hope this doesn't sound too scary but what I'm saying really is just that you will need to work hard if you come to SMU (or any uni, generally). Unis are really not meant for people to slack in.
1234567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #29
fire

fire has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234567 View Post
Hi, I am a freshman in SMU this year and I do agree that SMU can get pretty stressful. Especially when it's nearing tests or deadlines for projects or presentations. I've had friends who had to stay over in school for overnight meetings etc. But then again, if you would think about it, SMU graduates do have pretty decent prospects when we graduate and I do think it is worth putting in the hard work for.

People skills are definitely important here because SMU is a relatively small community and you tend to know / hear about people here and there. It's really up to you though, if you want to be a hermit and just do your own thing, it's possible too. Really just how you want to craft your uni life. You don't have to be a complete extrovert to have decent people skills though, SMU provides a lot of opportunities for you to get to know others. So you can just make use of them.

Also, wrt handing your work in last minute, there's nothing wrong with that as long as it's your individual piece. If it's a group work, you're more than likely to just piss your whole group off.

SMU does have peer evaluation but no one here is that bitchy to grade lousily someone who does work. Unless the working experience has been completely horrible. Or you do really terrible work which results in your groupmates having to redo everything for you. I don't think the profs will look for you to get you to explain your peer evaluation if you got really bad comments from your groupmates because if it is something that is evident in all your groupmates' evaluations, it is more likely than not that there is something wrong with you.

If you are a slack person who is used to dealing with work at the last minute, you might want to change that because as I have mentioned, it is likely that your group will get really annoyed with you.

I hope this doesn't sound too scary but what I'm saying really is just that you will need to work hard if you come to SMU (or any uni, generally). Unis are really not meant for people to slack in.
may i know what kind of opportunities smu provide students to interact? i tot its the same for all unis, that u have to seek opportunities to interact instead of smu providing it?
fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:23 AM   #30
robertsky

robertsky has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire View Post
may i know what kind of opportunities smu provide students to interact? i tot its the same for all unis, that u have to seek opportunities to interact instead of smu providing it?
I am no longer a freshman in SMU, but this still applies:

The opportunities to interact with your classmates, schoolmates starts the moment the first class starts. The profs and lecturers are trained in facilitating class participation among the students.

There are modules that are made compulsory by the university and hence you will also get to work with students from different faculties. This is especially so for the foundation modules.

As for project work, some profs may pre-assign you into groups. This pre-assignment is applicable on module basis as well, which means no matter which prof you go for, you are pre-assigned. You would not get to choose your own group mates in this case. As such, there will be free-riders in your team as noted in previous replies. There are various ways to deal with them ranging from being diplomatic with them to bringing the issue up to the prof.
robertsky is offline   Reply With Quote