BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Medicine, Dentistry & Healthcare
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
huizhen_sky

huizhen_sky has a neutral reputation
Default future for healthcare ?

hi all ....i just attain my alevel last year..i was planning to study heathcare course in nyp..but is seemd that i cant make up my mind on whether occupational or phsiotherapy is better for me ...i attended the nyp open hse this yr ...but i m still a little baffled abt the differences btw them....
huizhen_sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
appple

appple has a neutral reputation

an occupational therapist's role is more to help people to adapt to disruptions in their lifestyles, and to help them to improve in their ability to do daily tasks. so basically they try to help people with disabilities to maximise their skills and abilities.

physiotherapy has to do with treating and preventing movement disorders due to conditions and diseases. and they do so through implementing individually tailored exercise programmes and other treatments like ultrasound etc. to help people to recover and regain maximum mobility.

haha hope this helps (=. you can always google on what the respective occupations are abt or pop by some hospital to ask the OT/PT abt their jobs?
appple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #3
huizhen_sky

is there any differences in term of salary btw this two courses??
Old 06-03-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
appple

er...i'm not too sure. the but i know if you grad with a bachelor's degree in physio ur salary will be a normal uni grad salary.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
sunshine

sunshine has a neutral reputation

hello

i am a year 2 student studying occupational therapy in nanyang polytechnic. occupational therapy is very different from physiotherapy. occupational therapists deal with occupational performance.

eg. daily occupations include both basic and instrumental activities of daily living. basic activities of daily living (BADL) include:showering, dressing, feeding (eating), functional mobility (moving around the home, in bed etc) and other activities of daily living. instrumental activities of daily living (IADL) include: shopping, money management, community mobility (moving around in the community, taking buses/trains/taxis; being able to move around safely on rainy days, uneven surfaces etc).
BADLs are quite fundamental to living while IADLs are not so. occupational therapists (OT) working in acute setting (hospitals) deal more with BADLs and ensuring that their clients can do these BADLs safely before they are discharged. OTs may also do home modifications to ensure that the person can achieve maximal independence in BADLs and IADLs SAFELY. OTs that work in the community do more of BADLs and IADLs, and help to rehabilitate clients to achieve maximal functioning independence.
so occupational therapists mainly address issues of not being able to achieve BADLs and IADLs. they try to remediate bodily impairments or help a person better cope with them, so that the person is able to perform BADLs and IADLs YEP. okay that's quite a lot of info. wish you could have enrolled this year, because school started in mid april this year:/
would you be applying for either OT or PT next year? if you like you could give me your email and i'd email you regarding this? feel free to ask me more questions & i'll try my best to help! BTW, we are having school holidays from 7th-22nd june. but perhaps you could drop by and ask if you can have a look around sometime. hope this helps you!
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
huizhen_sky

[QUOTE=sunshine;2890]hello

i am a year 2 student studying occupational therapy in nanyang polytechnic. occupational therapy is very different from physiotherapy. occupational therapists deal with occupational performance.

eg. daily occupations include both basic and instrumental activities of daily living. basic activities of daily living (BADL) include:showering, dressing, feeding (eating), functional mobility (moving around the home, in bed etc) and other activities of daily living. instrumental activities of daily living (IADL) include: shopping, money management, community mobility (moving around in the community, taking buses/trains/taxis; being able to move around safely on rainy days, uneven surfaces etc).
BADLs are quite fundamental to living while IADLs are not so. occupational therapists (OT) working in acute setting (hospitals) deal more with BADLs and ensuring that their clients can do these BADLs safely before they are discharged. OTs may also do home modifications to ensure that the person can achieve maximal independence in BADLs and IADLs SAFELY. OTs that work in the community do more of BADLs and IADLs, and help to rehabilitate clients to achieve maximal functioning independence.
so occupational therapists mainly address issues of not being able to achieve BADLs and IADLs. they try to remediate bodily impairments or help a person better cope with them, so that the person is able to perform BADLs and IADLs YEP. okay that's quite a lot of info. wish you could have enrolled this year, because school started in mid april this year:/
would you be applying for either OT or PT next year? if you like you could give me your email and i'd email you regarding this? feel free to ask me more questions & i'll try my best to help! BTW, we are having school holidays from 7th-22nd june. but perhaps you could drop by and ask if you can have a look around sometime. hope this helps you!

thx lot ..now i understand more abt this ot job ...actually i also hope i can enroll in thiis yr ..but i miss the enrollment period ...
isit okay to drop by even thought it is nt npy open hse ?
[email protected] Zhen
Old 06-06-2008, 02:56 PM   #7
huizhen_sky

Default further study?

if i want to get a degree for healthcare courses.......how many years do i need to study in order to achieve tat?
Old 06-07-2008, 11:12 PM   #8
appple

i know for direct degree courses in overseas unis it would take you 3yrs.

if you're interested in studying ot/pt, you can try applying for the nhg/singhealth health sci scholarship. they can either sponsor ur entire degree course overseas, or they will sponsor you to study 3yrs at nyp and ur final yr at an overseas uni, so you still end up with a degree
Old 06-09-2008, 10:17 AM   #9
huizhen_sky

erm.....is it a must to go overseas in order to obtain a degree?? local uni does nt provide ?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:14 PM   #10
appple

nope the local unis, nus, ntu, smu and sim all do not have ot/ pt courses

uni of sydney used to offer a conversion course here for a pt degree here but i think they just stopped offering. there are australian unis which specially tailor their courses for sg students with nyp diploma such as curtin uni
http://physiotherapy.curtin.edu.au/c...on/nanyang.cfm

for ot, the only local conversion course that i know of is by la trobe in collaboration with sgh.
http://www.latrobe.edu.au/internatio...html#singapore