BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Medicine, Dentistry & Healthcare
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:05 PM   #1
riane

riane has a neutral reputation
Default vet school

hi,im not sure if vet school is categorised under medicine,but i'm assuming it is so here goes
which schools are best for veterinary science,though im only looking at australian or american universities, in terms of uni life, people and type of assesment n course structure?thanks!
riane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:40 PM   #2
heng

heng has a neutral reputation

hi riane, i'm going vet sch next yr so i couuld provide a little advice. If you need to know more you could always volunteer at a vet clinic and there you can ask the vets questions.

as far as i know there isn't really a ranking of vet schools. you should be more concerned with school fees, distance from home and whether is the degree recognised in singapore.(if you intend to practice in singapore)

just to let you know, in america vet school is a graduate school, which means you have to do a basic degree first, before being allowed to go for a vet degree. that would come to about 7-8 years before you can be a vet, as compared to 5-6 years in australian, uk and new zealand vet schools which accept A-lvl and relevant diploma holders.

if you need more info go to the singapore veterinary association website. they have a section on careers as a vet, and also contact no. for most vet clinics in singapore. you could give them a ring and see if they'd want you as a volunteer.

http://www.sva.org.sg/en/index.php

hope this helps. good luck!
heng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:59 PM   #3
riane

yup,thanks it helps!i think i'll probably go to an australian uni then in that case.
and just a few more things, certain schools have really strict criteria in terms of experience with animals,so if i happen to volunteer in a vet clinic for say,a few weeks only,is that enough? or should i try to find holiday jobs in animal/vet related fields such as pet shops,zoo,etc.?
and btw,how long do internships last at clinics,or is it up to me?
and any other advice on how to beef up my application in the coming yearor any other preparations i should do,cos i only plan to enter in 2009,so i have about a year to do so
thanks so much,cos i've asked around and many people i've asked can only give me second hand sketchy advice as they only know of ppl going into vet school,n so sorry for the many qns!
thanks again!
Old 12-22-2007, 11:18 PM   #4
heng

heng has a neutral reputation

Hi, if you are planning on going to Australia to study currently there are only 4 universities that have vet degrees that are currently recognised by AVA, the vet licensing authority in Singapore.

They are:
1) University of Sydney
2) University of Melbourne
3) University of Queensland
4) Murdoch University (in Perth)

I applied for vet science for Melbourne, Sydney and Murdoch. For Melbourne and Sydney, I submitted my A-levels and that was enough to get me an offer from them.Only Murdoch requires additional personal statement, and a curriculum vitae citing relavant work experience in the veterinary field. If you want to beef up your application, include a personal statement on why you want to be a vet, and also probably include reference letters from the vet clinics to show relevant work experience.

I suggest you apply through an agent like IDP or OAL. They have the experience in helping students apply for australian universities, and are able to help you apply on your behalf for a place in the australian univeristies. I think they are holding a education fair in January. It would be a good opportunity for you to find out more by talking to representatives from the universities. Check their websites for more details.

www.idp.com/singapore/article1.asp
www.oal.com.sg

As for volunteering at a vet clinic, I'd suggest at least 2 weeks and you could always try different clinics too. For me I've been volunteering at a clinic for several months and will probably do so till I fly off for my studies next feb. But it all depends on the arrangement you work out with the clinic you volunteer at. Some are nice enough to let you stay on as long as you like. I heard the zoo requires volunteers too but I haven't really asked them. You could also try SPCA. Volunteering is good experience and lets you understand the life of a vet better. That will help you make a better decision of whether do you really want to be a vet. It also expands your network as you will meet vets and vet students who will probably be your future colleages.

Don't forget to look through this section in the SVA website. Its very important that you look through each factor before going ahead with your decision.

http://www.sva.org.sg/en/career.php

Thats all I can think of now. If you do volunteer witha clinic you can always ask the vets as they would know better than me. Good luck with your application!

Last edited by heng; 12-22-2007 at 11:21 PM.
heng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:35 PM   #5
riane

hi heng,
yup i have been visiting an animal shelter though quite irregularly,so i don't think i can get an official letter from them,but will probably try the vet clinics around. and i've actually thought of going to uni of queensland,sydney or melbourne,so thanks abt the application part!
okay thanks for all the help,really appreciate it!
all the best for vet school then n Merry Christmas!
Old 02-08-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
ckloh

ckloh has a neutral reputation

Hi riane,

I'm currently on national service. Another year to go. I'm also applying for veterinary science to Australia. For your info, you can apply to the uni through Uni-Ed/Aus-Ed agency (near tanjong pagar mrt) or IDP (orange grange road, RELC building near orchard area). I've spoken to the admission officer from Murdoch and Uni of Queensland last year, hope I can help you with some advices.

FYI,

1. Murdoch Uni - 6 years, requires personal statement and CV + relevant docs. approx. 50 international students/year

2. Uni of Queensland - 5 years. With 'Physics' made compulsary as an admission A lvl subject. approx 32 international students/year

3. Uni of sydney - 5 years. Requires Maths, Chemistry and either Physics/Biology if I'm not wrong (I need to double confirm this).

4. Uni of Melbourne - 5 years. Campus in the city, and with its good reputation as a university, the tuition fees are generally higher than the other 3. Requires straight As for Maths, Chem and Phy. Good GP grades as well, at least a B4?

Yup. that's a rough idea for you. Feel free to ask any questions! I was like you 2 years back, so don't worry. so you're waiting for your A lvl results? or..?

Warmest Regards,
CK (:
ckloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:40 PM   #7
riane

hey ck,

first of all,thanks for all that info!
and i was kinda set on going to queensland,but i don't take physics
only chem,bio,math and h1 geography.
and yup,im currently awaiting results. out of curiosity,which unis did u apply to,and what was the application procedure like?any tips?
anyway,for murdoch right, is it true that the admissions scores arent that stringent as compared to the rest,as the first year is a foundation course or biotec/biomed? and if i would like to venture into wildlife veterinary in the future, which of these unis would cater best to that? because from what i've read,most of these unis focus on solely small animal practice and large anima/equine practice.
other than that, would you advise me to go ahead and apply for a local course such as biological sciences in nus or ntu in addition to vet science?
but am i allowed to withdraw from the uni once i get a reply from vet school,or will that just be a waste of money?
ok thats abt all for now!
thanks so much,i really appreciate it!

cheers,
riane
Old 03-01-2008, 02:19 PM   #8
ckloh

ckloh has a neutral reputation

Hi riane,

wah! so many questions. no worries, I'll answer them.

First of all, I applied to Murdoch, Queensland and Sydney. I'm aiming for Murdoch. The application procedure was pretty simple..I actually took the application form at suntec where they had an exhibition every year for studying overseas. you should keep a lookout in the newspaper for such exhibitions, there's one on Murdoch Uni today and tomorrow at suntec! (1st Mar & 2nd Mar). It was a pretty long application form so I completed at home and then I went to the agency (Aus-Ed) to submit, together with my O lvl and A lvl results and all the relevant docs. Normally they will send the forms over before end of May. If you need any help, you can contact me as I know the agent quite well (for at least 3 years already!) Application processes are very similar throughout unis abroad.

Now onto the next qn. In fact, Murdoch Uni is the best Uni in Australia for Vet Science. It requires at least a AAB for A lvls. It has good reputation and more importantly, it is the only uni to have the farm in its own campus! well, for me, I think it'll save alot of travelling time and transport costs As the last 2 years it's be alot on clinical and hands on work, so it is relevant to have the farm in the campus instead of having one in the outskirts of the city.

Ok, here's how the course works for different uni. Queensland requires students to do a pre-vet year such that it will be a requirement to be admitted into the second year. For murdoch, sydney and melbourne, they all teaches Bio on the 1st year, pretty much like A lvl Bio. It's a foundation for all. There's no uni I'd reccommend if you're venturing into wildlife veterinary cos I'm also heading towards wildlife vet life after I'm done with a few years of urban clinical practices.

Regarding applying for a bio course in NTU/NUS, I don't think it'll be necessary. Cos the duration of vet sci itself is already 5 years, I don't think it'll be practical to go for another 3-4 year bio course locally. Yup, you can speak to the agents at display booths when they come! (I'll leave my email address so you can email me directly, or even you can also send your hp no. to me in the email so I can sms you to let you know about the exhibitions coming up and you can plan for it.)

Alright, lastly. Once you send ur application to australia, normally the uni will go thru a few phases to approve ur application. For Murdoch it's 4 phases in a year, meaning they will eg. select 8 students in Mar, another 8 in June, 8 in Sept and 8 in Dec. Those who did not get selected in the 1st phase will be pushed to the next phase and so on. So if they reply you that they have selected you, you'd have to pay the 1st year tution fee in order to confirm ur place. If you decided not to go to that uni, you can choose not to pay and they will remove ur name from the list. simple isn't it. haha.

yuppie. That's all. email me at [email protected] if you're comfortable.

Take care and best of luck for the upcoming release of results!

CK
ckloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
jovel

jovel has a neutral reputation

Oh people, this informations helps me so much. Thanks!!!
Old 04-19-2008, 04:07 PM   #10
username.2

username.2 has a neutral reputation

just to add on CK's reply....about having a commercial farm on site at university... it gives you opportunity to be in constant contact with farm animals over the 5 years (esp singaporeans who never even touched a pig or cow or sheep or....)-- so you gain confidence with handling them. in my opinion, that's one huge advantage as well.
________
TTR230

Last edited by username.2; 01-24-2011 at 05:34 AM.
username.2 is offline   Reply With Quote