BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:40 PM   #1
Jasmine855

Jasmine855 has a neutral reputation
Post ADVICE PLS- What course to take? (Science)

Hi, I'm a JC graduate who has just receive her A level results.
I got As in GP, 4H2s and O level HCL, with B in PW. I have been considering applying for a science course in either NUS or NTU ,such as chemistry,pharmacy,life sciences etc.

1) Medicine?
I ruled out medicine as I thought it's out of the question, as I didn't expect to get nearly straight As + my lack of good CCA records &consistent CIP. However, seeing my results, my mum asked me to try for medicine, saying that I might have chance of getting in. I could only apply to NUS since I didn't take the BMAT for NTU.

The main question would be of course:whether I have a passion in serving as a doctor. To be honest, I don't really have a clear idea. I enjoyed learning the various body systems and diseases in Sec 4 Bio but have never seriously considered to enter medicine. My interest in Bio is reduced in JC as we started learning micro things instead of the human body.
Qn: What do medicine students really study? Would it be back to Sec4 Bio kind of syllabus but of higher level?

I joined Red Cross as a CCA in JC because I don't really have other choices and I was slightly interested in the various first aid equipment like which is used to treat what. Throughout the 1.5 years, I've only volunteered a few times outside of school as a first aider(as I was struggling with JC academically). Seeing other fellow passionate first aiders I was inspired by their commitment. I also learnt the joy of serving as the casualty thanked me after I helped them bandage their wounds. However, I also discovered a problem with myself, that is I'm afraid to talk with strangers, let alone offering support/comfort for the casualty,using words. Although I care about them, I don't dare to show it. I have no idea why I have grown into such a shy person <- this is what I heard from quite a few people.

My other concern would be my mediocre CCA record, which is quite important to enter medicine apart from grades right? I have no CCA positions throughout my life and also no stellar CIP records(as I mentioned-have to keep mugging in jc). I don't think I still have chance for medicine =_= Actually I have applied for two attachments to hospitals so as to enrich my experience in the healthcare sector and also beef up my record, sadly both were rejected,one by JC and one by RMG. Through this experience, I'm convinced that I wouldn't fit as a doctor, so I stopped considering medicine.

Besides, I'm also worried about the stress of being a medical student and subsequently as a doctor. I have experienced various weird symptoms in my body due to stress since secondary school. From bruxism leading to Temporomandibular Joint Disorders and sensitive teeth, stomachache before exams, to pimple outbreak before As, I am thinking what else would happen to me under the stress in medical school. Even though I have taken steps to relieve stress by exercising or whatsoever, I realised I'm a person who likes to overthink and give myself stress. If so, I think I wouldn't survive in medicine.

All in all, do you think I should go for pharmacy instead of medicine? So that
1. I can still help others in a healthcare sector and take time to improve my social skills without killing a life if I were to enter medicine.
2. I can face less stress compared to being in medicine??
(Tbh, I can only visualize myself as a researcher making contribution towards science behind the scene instead of being a front-line person, although I havent had any true research experience lol)

2) Bio vs Chem
As mentioned earlier, I liked Bio less in JC because the syllabus is full of micro-level stuff and also cuz of its rigidness (like there's tons to keywords to memorise). I enjoyed Chem in JC more probably because it's easier to learn. In my case, should I apply for chem course instead of bio(life sciences/biological science)?

Pardon me for the long post as I didn't really have someone to talk to...Your help is deeply appreciated!!
Jasmine855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:41 PM   #2
hoseh

hoseh has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine855 View Post
Qn: What do medicine students really study? Would it be back to Sec4 Bio kind of syllabus but of higher level?

Besides, I'm also worried about the stress of being a medical student and subsequently as a doctor. I have experienced various weird symptoms in my body due to stress since secondary school. From bruxism leading to Temporomandibular Joint Disorders and sensitive teeth, stomachache before exams, to pimple outbreak before As, I am thinking what else would happen to me under the stress in medical school. Even though I have taken steps to relieve stress by exercising or whatsoever, I realised I'm a person who likes to overthink and give myself stress. If so, I think I wouldn't survive in medicine.

All in all, do you think I should go for pharmacy instead of medicine? So that
1. I can still help others in a healthcare sector and take time to improve my social skills without killing a life if I were to enter medicine.
2. I can face less stress compared to being in medicine??
(Tbh, I can only visualize myself as a researcher making contribution towards science behind the scene instead of being a front-line person, although I havent had any true research experience lol)
Ultimately, med students study to become doctors - just look at what doctors do - ask questions, examine patients, order tests, prescribe medications or refer to other doctors or do surgery, answer queries. Med students study about how to diagnose and treat medical conditions, aside from the basic sciences like anatomy etc.

No it will not be like sec 4 bio but higher level if not you would see medical doctors with PhDs in Biology instead of a medical degree.

If you don't think you can take the stress, don't bother applying for it.

Please don't choose pharmacy just so that you think you would do less harm in it; it is not anywhere better than medicine. In fact, please don't enter healthcare sector if you don't think you can take up the responsibility of taking care of a patient and that applies to anything from a nurse to an allied health to a doctor etc.
hoseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #3
[email protected]

community@lithan has a neutral reputation

maybe you cld do a medical attachment to see how it goes, see if you're really suited for med or not?

and just apply and see if you get it first! then decide on whether to accept or not in the future
community@lithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:46 PM   #4
Jasmine855

Jasmine855 has a neutral reputation

Hi, I have applied to YLLSOM but got rejected So I will be studying pharmacy instead as going abrod is not an option for me. However I know that duke-nus medical school is available for uni grads too. But the question is whether medicine is really the path for me, so attachment would be the best way for me to find out.

Regarding medical attachment, can I just email the HR department of hospitals to ask them about it? I went to the website of some hospitals, it seems that they only offer attachment to current sec/jc students but not jc graduates like me. So I'm not sure if they'll allow me to go for it now.
Jasmine855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:56 PM   #5
kevin647

kevin647 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine855 View Post
Hi, I have applied to YLLSOM but got rejected So I will be studying pharmacy instead as going abrod is not an option for me. However I know that duke-nus medical school is available for uni grads too. But the question is whether medicine is really the path for me, so attachment would be the best way for me to find out.

Regarding medical attachment, can I just email the HR department of hospitals to ask them about it? I went to the website of some hospitals, it seems that they only offer attachment to current sec/jc students but not jc graduates like me. So I'm not sure if they'll allow me to go for it now.
Hi Jasmine, sorry to hear that you did not get into YLLSOM! However like you rightly mentioned, Medicine is a really tough course and you should be very sure that it is the life you want before embarking on such a journey.

I personally know of a few doctors who after their local bonds decided that medicine was not for them, and went on to do a postgraduate degree (one became a lawyer).

Anyway to answer your question, yes despite what hospitals say on their websites, they definitely do offer attachments to JC graduates such as yourself. Just drop them an email with your cover letter and CV, and they should be able to arrange something.

Do let us know if you need help with your applications to the hospital. We can also assist to put you in touch with a practicing doctor who can address any questions you may have about the medical profession. Do visit us at www.SuccessGoGo.com if you need such help (completely free don't worry).

Cheers
Old 07-02-2017, 01:44 PM   #6
[email protected]

G@pEase has a neutral reputation

Hello!! Could you please spare us a min of your time to help complete this short feedback survey for a project we are working on?

https://tinyurl.com/myFuture-surv

thankyou so much in advance!!
G@pEase is offline   Reply With Quote