BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
dancedance

dancedance has a neutral reputation
Default English literature in NTU and NUS

Hi all, I'm considering doing eng lit in nus or ntu.

i know that nus fass is much more established, but ntu offers a direct honours program and also seems to offer really interesting modules which nus doesn't (e.g. Romanticism and sensibility, Literature and madness) - that and the smaller class sizes, and people there seem nicer and less competitive than nus lit from what i've heard.

can anyone give me their two cents on the lit programs in both schools? i understand that nus lit has seminar/tutorial/lecture styles depending on which modules you choose, but what about ntu? is it seminar style throughout?
will i be disadvantaged if i were to choose ntu lit since future employees may tend to value nus lit grads more?

also one last question - how is lit like in uni and how is it different from jc? i've always loved and done well in lit and for a really long time i've been set on majoring in lit, but then i heard from an nus prof that lit in uni is alot more macro-style than jc, e.g. no more line by line analysis, moving away from literary devices etc. i'm pretty worried that uni lit may be too big-picture for me because i've always been more of a micro person. does uni lit require a really deep frame of mind?

so sorry for the wall of text! thanks so much in advance.
dancedance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
ying93

ying93 has a neutral reputation

Hi, I'm currently an English Lit. major in NTU I'm not very certain about NUS but NTU has mostly lectures and seminars (with profs) but for newly admitted year 1s, they will have tutorial classes (with grad students) for a year. I'm not sure about the employment question(NTU vs NUS) since I actually chose NTU over NUS because of the profs. I just had a better impression from my interview with the professor.

About literature in uni level, I think what the NUS prof mean was that literature in JC advances to a lot more than what we have done in JC. Close reading and micro-style is still very much important. What happens now is that we are expected to branch into other fields such as psychology, philosophy and even history and all sometimes. I can honestly admit that when I first went it, I was very apprehensive and felt a little out of place because of the depth required from the course. dont' worry too much because you'll get used to it and they'll give u time it's true that you won't do line by line analysis cos we don't really have time for it but you can still analyse in a precise n detailed manner Each wk you'll have around around 1 book for each mod and there are generally at least 3-4 lit mods/sem so that makes around 3-4 books/wk so generally there's no time to go in such depth. You do still get to anaylse closely when it comes to term papers though cos mostly we are only asked to focus on a book. If you're still unsure, it'll be great to go apply and have an interview with the prof (it's one-on-one) and you can ask them anything you like then. Don't worry, they're very very nice people
ying93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
alexiswu

alexiswu has a neutral reputation

Hello you are right the prof in ntu was really friendly I totally misinterpret the poem but he still said ive shown great language skills(?) hahah ee cummings would have puked. I've asked him about your question, he said its more essay than presentation and he talked mostly about the small class group and stuff as well.

I am really quite sold given the fact that ntu prof actually came and talk to us like a friend/equal (he was super super nice unlike during open house at fass where I couldn't even locate the right person to ask questions) plus I think direct honors is a rather appealing idea.

However I don't think I would choose ntu mainly because from the sound of it, it's relatively new and while it sounds cool that "you students will have alot more freedom to do what you want" I know this might not really mean much as its rather vague and came across to me as if there isn't some sort of reliable system in place? The location too is far and I know alot of my friends who end up skipping lessons at the end of the day because their travel time is as long as the lesson time itself.

Still, it's nice hearing your opinions! Hahaha thanks alot over the past few weeks ps I saw your new pm after I went for the interview so I didn't really get to ask those questions tell me if you change your mind haha!
alexiswu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:16 PM   #4
Elq

Elq has a neutral reputation
Default Grades good enough?

Hello! I see the modules that NTU/NUS literature offers and I admit i am intimidated by it. I scored an A in my literature for A levels but I am not sure if i should give a go for literature. I did pretty badly for other subjects. Seeing that I got an A for literature, is it advisable for me to apply for it? Thanks!
Elq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:12 PM   #5
havok_ex

havok_ex has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elq View Post
Hello! I see the modules that NTU/NUS literature offers and I admit i am intimidated by it. I scored an A in my literature for A levels but I am not sure if i should give a go for literature. I did pretty badly for other subjects. Seeing that I got an A for literature, is it advisable for me to apply for it? Thanks!
How bad is considered 'bad'? Because admissions dont look at only one individual grade, they look at the overall picture, if its really bad, you might not get admitted at all. If you have passion in lit, then go for it. There is a steep curve between A-levels and uni but you'll get used to it.
havok_ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:57 AM   #6
Elq

Elq has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok_ex View Post
How bad is considered 'bad'? Because admissions dont look at only one individual grade, they look at the overall picture, if its really bad, you might not get admitted at all. If you have passion in lit, then go for it. There is a steep curve between A-levels and uni but you'll get used to it.
Yeah that's very true. I think I would look into other courses!
Elq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:59 AM   #7
RC7

RC7 has a neutral reputation
Default Hoping for admission next year

Hi everyone!

I have been looking into NUS and NTU as well and what I am interested in is English Literature in particular. I've searched on SIM too but what they provide doesn't seem to be as strong as the 2 previously mentioned.

I've applied to both school this year but got rejected due to my low GPA. I still wasn't successful after appealing to both schools. I know some people are saying how experience isn't that important but I feel that having experience do have some advantages compared to a student newly entering the field.

I've got an irrelevant diploma already but decided to change my career path to more along the line of journalism, hence choosing English Literature. The only way I can think of is getting a job, gaining experiences which would help me in my application for next year's entry. I am hoping this thread will offer my some guidance as I do not have any connections with anyone relating in this field. What sort of jobs should I take which would help in my portfolio tremendously for next year's intake? Any specific jobs which I can use as guidance when I am going for a job hunt?
RC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:26 PM   #8
[email protected]

community@lithan has a neutral reputation

job wise u cld try editorial/content writing jobs!
community@lithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:37 PM   #9
[email protected]

G@pEase has a neutral reputation

Hello!! Could you please spare us a min of your time to help complete this short feedback survey for a project we are working on?

https://tinyurl.com/myFuture-surv

THANKYOU SO MUCH, you all will have a good future ahead of you ((((:
G@pEase is offline   Reply With Quote