BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
ggggen

ggggen has a neutral reputation
Default To accept NUS Science or NTU Math Sci?

Hi all, I was offered a place each in NUS Science and NTU Math Sci. I'm interested in studying Applied Math/Statistics and would like to know whether I should choose NTU or NUS.

I'd appreciate whatever help I can get. Thanks in advance!
ggggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
MaryMount

MaryMount has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggen View Post
Hi all, I was offered a place each in NUS Science and NTU Math Sci. I'm interested in studying Applied Math/Statistics and would like to know whether I should choose NTU or NUS.

I'd appreciate whatever help I can get. Thanks in advance!
Hmm... Here's a suggestion, take up NUS science and apply for math as your minor? I'm not too sure if that's feasible, but it sounds pretty good to me! (: all the best!
MaryMount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
ggggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMount View Post
Hmm... Here's a suggestion, take up NUS science and apply for math as your minor? I'm not too sure if that's feasible, but it sounds pretty good to me! (: all the best!
I intend to major in it! After thinking a bit, I think NUS is better in many aspects! It's also much more convenient to travel to and fro haha. Thanks for your opinion!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
MaryMount

MaryMount has a neutral reputation

Quote:
I intend to major in it! After thinking a bit, I think NUS is better in many aspects! It's also much more convenient to travel to and fro haha. Thanks for your opinion!
(: yup nus definitely has much better aspects!! (: glad that you've made up your mind! all the best alright! So, for now, you can just have fun and have no stress until school starts!!!!! (:
MaryMount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
erps

erps has a neutral reputation

Quote:
HELLO!! You are my fellow course-mate!! Hahaha it's seriously hard to find anyone talking about math or stats under the NUS Science forum :/ Anyway I applied NUS Science and NTU Math Sci also! I'm like you, choosing between the 2! But I think I'm more for NUS Science and then I am intending to major either Mathematics or Statistics (more towards stats).

So, hi there!
erps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
blackforest

blackforest has a neutral reputation

yeah hard choice right? I was given 2 options: NUS Science or NTU Mathematical Sciences with finance minor. I kinda like both equally! But now I'm more to the NUS side though..
blackforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:14 AM   #7
ggggen

I really have NO IDEA whether to major in Applied Math or Statistics in NUS! Sigh. Both sound VERY SIMILAR to me. I dunno what to do. :/
Old 05-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
couchpotato

couchpotato has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
HELLO!! You are my fellow course-mate!! Hahaha it's seriously hard to find anyone talking about math or stats under the NUS Science forum :/ Anyway I applied NUS Science and NTU Math Sci also! I'm like you, choosing between the 2! But I think I'm more for NUS Science and then I am intending to major either Mathematics or Statistics (more towards stats).

So, hi there!
helloooo! haha i got the same offers, nus sci and ntu math sci. Now, i'm in a dilemma on what to choose..
couchpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
snar123

snar123 has a neutral reputation

Wohooo, finally found ppl talking about math and stats. I'm more interested in stats though. Is it true that for stats major in NUS, you study maths for first two years before majoring?
snar123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
erps

erps has a neutral reputation

Heh hello everybody I feel happy that more nus science/ntu math sci offered people are posting!!! It's great to see your prospective course mates talk

Actually i don't quite know the difference between applied math and stats! Can someone enlighten me!

Also ah, really need to study math for first 2 years ah if go for stats? I wanna study stats also! And I thought I only read the study math part in NTU brochure! The NUS one doesnt seem to state anything ... but first year all general modules also right! That means we have to take general modules under NUS Science?
erps is offline   Reply With Quote