BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #41
Haseyo

Haseyo has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by clo View Post
But according to NTU website..

The requirements for graduation are as follows:

a) Successful completion of the prescribed academic unit requirement as set out by the programme curriculum.

b) A minimum CGPA of 2.00 is required at the end of the final semester of study

and they did mentioned that as long as you cleared the number of AU required, you will be deemed to graduate in the FAQ.

hm.. correct me if i'm wrong , jus in case I understand it wrongly..
sorry, what is it that you don't understand about?

anyway, even if you meet these requirements, you have to note that all the programmes are direct honours. Direct Hons means you will be automatically enrolled into Hons year (aka final year) whether you want it or not. Essentially speaking, refusal to do Hons is equivalent to asking to be expelled from the course.
Haseyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #42
yoyobarn

yoyobarn has a neutral reputation

hi, i am currently majoring in Pure Mathematics. (going to 3rd year in August)

Applied Math, Pure Math, Statistics, can all go into teaching, up to JC level.

(refer to http://www.moe.gov.sg/careers/teach/applying/degree/)

Wish you all the best in your studies!

-------------
advertisement: Tuition
-------------
Hi,

I am currently an undergraduate at NUS majoring in Mathematics.

I can give tuition in Math & Science up to 'A' levels.

Preferred location would be near Lorong Chuan MRT area.

Preferred timing would be Saturday morning.

I am dedicated and patient tutor, with over 3 years of tuition experience.

'O' Level results: A1 for A Math, E Math, Physics, Chemistry, Biology
'A' Level results: A for Math, Physics, Chemistry, Biology

Please SMS me at 98348087 if interested.

Thank you very much.
------------
yoyobarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #43
lovelovely

lovelovely has a neutral reputation

Hello! Any seniors out there from NTU mathematical sciences who can share more about the course? I heard that it is very competitive esp. with the numbers of foreigners in this course. Anyone knows roughly what is the ratio of Singaporeans to Foreigners?
lovelovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:03 PM   #44
junctionway

junctionway has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelovely View Post
Hello! Any seniors out there from NTU mathematical sciences who can share more about the course? I heard that it is very competitive esp. with the numbers of foreigners in this course. Anyone knows roughly what is the ratio of Singaporeans to Foreigners?
I am interested in this qn too
junctionway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:42 AM   #45
jaanaanee

jaanaanee has a neutral reputation
Default HELP! major in stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
HELLO!! You are my fellow course-mate!! Hahaha it's seriously hard to find anyone talking about math or stats under the NUS Science forum :/ Anyway I applied NUS Science and NTU Math Sci also! I'm like you, choosing between the 2! But I think I'm more for NUS Science and then I am intending to major either Mathematics or Statistics (more towards stats).

So, hi there!

Hello! I need help! I am thinking of going into appl math or stats. Can i please have some info of how stats is and what is it abt? I have zero clue. Is it very tough? And im afraid of the career prospects. Is there no future for stats degree holders?
jaanaanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:16 PM   #46
jedrek

jedrek has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaanaanee View Post
Hello! I need help! I am thinking of going into appl math or stats. Can i please have some info of how stats is and what is it abt? I have zero clue. Is it very tough? And im afraid of the career prospects. Is there no future for stats degree holders?
I don't know the curriculum of stats but I know roughly the career prospects of stats/applied maths.

My friend recently graduated from there and received an offer to work under a statutory board(singhealth),as a data analyst.
Usually,stats involves a lot of data comparison(small/big)

Another area will be working under corporates to help them consolidate data for making decisions in the higher level management.

Hope I help,not a stats student btw.
jedrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:52 PM   #47
xstreamshadow

xstreamshadow has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
Heh hello everybody I feel happy that more nus science/ntu math sci offered people are posting!!! It's great to see your prospective course mates talk

Actually i don't quite know the difference between applied math and stats! Can someone enlighten me!

Also ah, really need to study math for first 2 years ah if go for stats? I wanna study stats also! And I thought I only read the study math part in NTU brochure! The NUS one doesnt seem to state anything ... but first year all general modules also right! That means we have to take general modules under NUS Science?
applied math and statistics are quite different.in applied math, you learn a bit of finance math but nothing too deep. You learn things like crpytography, partial differential equations and if you want, some physics like quantum theory, fluid mechanics and atmospheric physics. In statistics, its more strictly statistics with modules like data mining, actuarial statistics and sampling and survey(yes, sampling and survey is one module)
xstreamshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:35 PM   #48
[email protected]

G@pEase has a neutral reputation

Hello!! Could you please spare us a min of your time to help complete this short feedback survey for a project we are working on?

https://tinyurl.com/myFuture-surv
G@pEase is offline   Reply With Quote