BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:11 AM   #101
moralzealot

moralzealot has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeweiren View Post

For e.g (True cases)
KCL LLB (SMU/NUS rejected him for law)
Carnegie Mellon BSC Eng (NUS rejected him, NTU gave him Civil Engineering)
Uni. of Washington at Saint Louis BBA (NUS/NTU/SMU rejected him for Business)
UNSW M.B.B.S (NUS rejected her for Medicine)
Serious? I'd take CMU anything over NUS or NTU. What were his credentials?
moralzealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #102
seeweiren

seeweiren has a neutral reputation

He's from a poly. GPA was 3.45, but he took SAT and was pretty high, the mid to high 2300s. And he won some international competition I think. So yup that's CMU for him, pursuing Mechanical Engineering
seeweiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:28 AM   #103
grill

grill has a neutral reputation

well, to be honest, i would prefer to go study overseas than enter NUS/SMU/NTU.

my personal believe is, it doesnt really matter where you get your degree as long as your network is good, you are bound to be successful in your job. and besides, by going overseas, it actually enables you to gain experiences that will make you more independent in the future. for example, if you are studying in USA and have internship there, the work experience is much more valuable as local internship (hence the local Us are encouraging overseas exchange). this i know since most of my brother friends (and himself), become less of party boys and more of career focused people after studying overseas.

as for me, i am a sad girl who are not accepted in her dream uni neither allowed to follow her brother footsteps (sorry for the unnecessary rant at the end of the post.)
grill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #104
officertobe

officertobe has a neutral reputation

Sorry for reviving this old thread, because I believe this is still very relevant to many students nowadays. My opinion? An education at a top overseas university is definitely better than a local one, in terms of employability, prestige, the experience gained, and character development.

I will not elaborate on prestige and employability; obviously someone who graduates from stanford, UCL, imperial college, the Ivys etc. is valued more than someone who graduated from the same course in NUS/NTU/SMU. Let me talk more about the nature of studying overseas and in Singapore.

I have many friends in local universities and from what I gather, Singaporeans are very competitive and grades-oriented; students answer questions in lectures and post on discussion forums simply because it is graded. Even lecturers seem to only care about their students' examinations; one professor said at the end of his lecture that "you can forget everything in this lecture, but remember this formula. This formula will come out in your test."

Lastly, I would like to ask you guys a question: If you were given a full sponsored scholarship and a place in a prestigious overseas university, would you choose to stay in NUS/NTU/SMU? This basically sums up the argument, doesn't it?

Last edited by officertobe; 10-02-2011 at 10:36 PM.
officertobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #105
trapped

trapped has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
i agree with this.

there are 3 tiers of singaporeans (of course excluding ITEs, diploma holders) i would classify them in:

1) lowest/least intelligent tier: Polytechnic students or dropouts who are unable to get a place in a local university, and thus choose to pursue their studies overseas in lousy schools like UMelbourne, RMIT, and other non-top institutions. OR a private uni in singapore

2) middle/average intelligence tier: People from poly or JC who manage to get into local universities, SMU NTU or NUS.

3) top/ most intelligent tier: People from top JCs (hwachong, RJ, VJ and nothing else) who achieve straight As for their A levels, with exceptional leadership and character achieve a prestigious scholarship (government/private), to pursue their studies overseas at a top university like stanford, Ivy leagues, berkeley, oxbridge, LSE, UCL.

there is not much debate, top overseas universities defeat local unis hands down. by top universities, i would mean anything better than New York University in the US, and King's College London in the UK. anything worse than these schools, or anything in canada/australia, are considered to be in the low-middle tier of singaporeans.
i beg your pardon?

UMelb is NOT a lousy school. It is ranked among the top 20 to 30 universities across the world, especially in business.

I think that many people have the misconception that the harder it is to get into the school, the better. Which is not entirely true.

Australian universities like ANU and UMelb might be relatively easier to get into than the top US or British universities in general. But they are also pretty strong in certain courses, for instance ANU in political science and UMelb in commerce.

Similarly, Canadian universities such as UT, McGill and UBC are good in their own right. For instance, UT is known for having a relatively easy admission for international students but weed 1st and 2nd year students out due to their extremely stringent bell curve. And if you realise, UT is ranked among the top along with fairly reputable US and British schools too.

i doubt it is appropriate and fair to classify levels of intelligence according to different universities like that.

While rankings do matter, take it with a pinch of salt for it isn't everything. Going to say, UCL or Princeton, would not necessarily guarantee you a job, because you need to market yourself, or rather, a selling point that can convince employers to give you the job.
trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:50 PM   #106
PureFitness

PureFitness has a neutral reputation

Quote:
People from top JCs (hwachong, RJ, VJ and nothing else who achieve straight As for their A levels, with exceptional leadership and character achieve a prestigious scholarship (government/private), to pursue their studies overseas at a top university like stanford, Ivy leagues, berkeley, oxbridge, LSE, UCL
Funny I know people who meet your above criteria but rejected the scholarship and "choose to pursue their studies overseas in lousy schools like UMelbourne" so that they won't be bonded to the govt/GLCs and have to work for ~6 years and be stuck with people like you.
PureFitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:07 AM   #107
Introverted.

Introverted. has a neutral reputation

DoNotFeedTheTroll.jpg
Introverted. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:41 AM   #108
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

Quote:
i agree with this.

there are 3 tiers of singaporeans (of course excluding ITEs, diploma holders) i would classify them in:

1) lowest/least intelligent tier: Polytechnic students or dropouts who are unable to get a place in a local university, and thus choose to pursue their studies overseas in lousy schools like UMelbourne, RMIT, and other non-top institutions. OR a private uni in singapore

2) middle/average intelligence tier: People from poly or JC who manage to get into local universities, SMU NTU or NUS.

3) top/ most intelligent tier: People from top JCs (hwachong, RJ, VJ and nothing else) who achieve straight As for their A levels, with exceptional leadership and character achieve a prestigious scholarship (government/private), to pursue their studies overseas at a top university like stanford, Ivy leagues, berkeley, oxbridge, LSE, UCL.

there is not much debate, top overseas universities defeat local unis hands down. by top universities, i would mean anything better than New York University in the US, and King's College London in the UK. anything worse than these schools, or anything in canada/australia, are considered to be in the low-middle tier of singaporeans.

Is this your own classification of intelligence? It seems to me you have very broadly classified everyone into these 3 categories, even though there are probably many more factors that you should consider. Which one do you fall into? Perhaps you need to create a classification for people who lack 'social intelligence'.

If you continue your blatant disregard for everything you deem inferior, I am here to remind you not to push the limits. Some comments deserve to be kept to yourself unless you have solid evidence to back it up. If you are lazy to back up your statements, save it and don't post it.

What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:47 AM   #109
PureFitness

Quote:
By "rejected the scholarship", i guess you mean "didnt apply for the scholarship"? There are indeed many who don't apply, and choose to just stay in local universities, this is their personal decision and I have nothing to say. By not applying for scholarships, you cannot determine that they are capable and have leadership skills either, because they did not go through a vigorous scholarship selection process. Thus these people whom you've met, may not be the cream of the crop like those Im talking about, after all. Just go to the PSC website, how many of these top people go to canada/australia?
No, these people were awarded PSC scholarships, were accepted by top universities (among those you listed), but eventually rejected the scholarships and choose to study in australia (due to cost/personal preference etc), because they did not want to be bonded.

I'm glad for them, working in environment filled with people like you must be nauseating. No wonder there are so many bond breakers and people who leave their scholarship organization once their bond is over.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #110
PureFitness

Quote:
Just look at where PSC sends their scholars, to get an inkling of which schools are the most sought after by employers in singapore.
Well, for what its worth, I know many people (you just have to go linkedin in and do a search and you'll probably find many) who are from your supposedly lousy overseas schools and private SG unis who are working in the civil service, and even many, many more in the private sector.