BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > USA
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #1
ThreeM

ThreeM has a neutral reputation
Default Any recommendations on University to head to for Majoring in Business and IT?

Hey may as per title, i'm looking for a university that bridges me to business and at the same time leveraging on my IT knowledge..

Right now i'm studying in SP, somewhat the top few students.

Am looking for overseas university preferably US as it seems more promising there to gather connections.

I've been looking at MIT and Harvard.. But c'mon... what are the odds. So i'm looking at Boston university. Any other alternative that's a good university that's known internationally that i should look for too?

That said, i have also looked for uPenn Wharton, but i am unable to find a course of study that fits me well.. maybe in their school of information.

So... Ideas, anyone?
ThreeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:34 PM   #2
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

before asking what are the odd what's your profile?

http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/sho...375#post102375

from above post U did ITE-> Poly, is your current Poly GPA 3.99 top 3 grad of Poly? SAT score? recommendation letter what will teach write about u to be real different from the rest of the pack?
setup own biz or wrote App? annual revenue? done consulting on the side?
own any awards? or simply put if you think you can easily quality for Singapore government scholarship you should have no issue with MIT/ Upenn/Harvard or the likes.

has situation changed? is your parents able to support U? or U found funding locally thru scholarships?
note some Uni you have here are not need blind to international students

as for Biz and IT, try Info System
(reference only not bible)
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...mation-systems
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsa...stems-rankings

Last edited by patryn33; 07-02-2015 at 09:41 PM.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:31 PM   #3
ThreeM

ThreeM has a neutral reputation

Things did change a little.. maybe at least that's what I think..
Financially wise, may not be as good but there seemed to be an opportunity.

Right now me and my team is working on a project that could build our portfolio. So we're depending on that and our duration before we enter NS or uni to earn an amount that could be enough for me to head to uni in US.

Maybe not the whole amount, but decent enough to cover my living expense there. The rest would definitely be covered by loans.

Apart from that, am the top few grads, and aiming to be gold medalist and also the institutional medalist. And a few sideline hackathons that i usually participate.

As for government scholarship entitlement, no. I dun have any, not planning to have them as of the moment as there's a bond period tied to it.

SATS? Looking to take them, but before that. would a diploma be enough to compensate that? Am not really looking forward in taking SATS though as i have to focus on working the projects im undertaking to earn me enough funds to head to US.

Apart from Biz IT, i also found a few interest while looking at some UNIs. For e.g. Information Security Policy and Management, but CMU cater that to only students pursuing masters.

Am opened to IT security too.
ThreeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:35 PM   #4
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

Diploma is not sufficient to replace SAT. You will need to do SAT.

As for info security with CMU you will have to wait till you finish Bach. No good uni just teaches it security at undergrad, it will be strictly computer science. If u want to do biz can take minor or major in biz depending on uni req.

Bank will only loan up to 100k or x times your guarantor salary whichever is lower. Tuition alone for 3 or 4 yrs today with these uni will amount to usd$160k-usd$180k or close to sgd$200k+. Taking 2 loan do you understand how much $$ you need to be returning per month. Savings? Marriage? 27 go out to work 10 yrs repayment plan..

I would still apply to need blind uni.

If not try uni of Waterloo double degree in biz and computer sci, it's cheap at ~cad$100k. Google Waterloo uni and gates
https://cs.uwaterloo.ca/future-under...ograms-courses

Last edited by patryn33; 07-03-2015 at 07:47 PM.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:48 AM   #5
boucy

boucy has a neutral reputation

CMU?Indiana KELLEY? Emory? seems to semi fit your needs.

why boston U seems out of place. well you can do more of your own research and look up ranking on us news
boucy is offline   Reply With Quote