BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > USA
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:17 PM   #1
Shhhs

Shhhs has a neutral reputation
Default Usa biz vs local biz

Hello guys, I have been accepted into many universities mainly for biz/econs since that is my passion. So, I have narrowed it down to 4 universities. I am in a dilemma and can't choose which one to go.

So here are the 4 universities and their stats.

Cornell aem: 4- year degree with a full scholarship with a 6 year bond from sia.

Nyu stern: 4-year degree with a full scholarship with a 6 year bond.

SMU biz and econ: 4 year double degree with full scholarship without bond.

Ntu biz: 3-year degree with full scholarship without bond.

Guys please tell me your opinion on which university I should go to. Oh by the way I want to be an entrepreneur.
Thanks
Shhhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:12 PM   #2
zacxy

zacxy has a neutral reputation
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shhhs View Post
Hello guys, I have been accepted into many universities mainly for biz/econs since that is my passion. So, I have narrowed it down to 4 universities. I am in a dilemma and can't choose which one to go.

So here are the 4 universities and their stats.

Cornell aem: 4- year degree with a full scholarship with a 6 year bond from sia.

Nyu stern: 4-year degree with a full scholarship with a 6 year bond.

SMU biz and econ: 4 year double degree with full scholarship without bond.

Ntu biz: 3-year degree with full scholarship without bond.

Guys please tell me your opinion on which university I should go to. Oh by the way I want to be an entrepreneur.
Thanks
Firstly, congrats on your offers! You must have done really well at the A levels/IB/Poly. Since you mentioned that you want to be an entrepreneur, then it wouldn't make sense for you to accept the SIA scholarship. Furthermore, you probably don't need a degree from Cornell/NYU Stern if you're going to start up your own company. With that, I'd recommend the local university courses. Between NTU and SMU it really depends on whether you want a shorter 3 year programme or study dual disciplines. As the start-up scene is starting to pick up in Singapore, many of our local universities have become more and more supportive of students who wish to become entrepreneurs. For me, I'd go with NTU for the strong reputation, more established alumni, and a rich history. You will also get to complete your degree early and start focusing on your business. However, others may say that SMU might have a stronger entrepreneurial culture. Regardless, Singapore being Singapore, there'll be endless mugging so at the end of the day it's still pretty academic. I hope this helps. All the best!
zacxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:34 PM   #3
Shhhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacxy View Post
Firstly, congrats on your offers! You must have done really well at the A levels/IB/Poly. Since you mentioned that you want to be an entrepreneur, then it wouldn't make sense for you to accept the SIA scholarship. Furthermore, you probably don't need a degree from Cornell/NYU Stern if you're going to start up your own company. With that, I'd recommend the local university courses. Between NTU and SMU it really depends on whether you want a shorter 3 year programme or study dual disciplines. As the start-up scene is starting to pick up in Singapore, many of our local universities have become more and more supportive of students who wish to become entrepreneurs. For me, I'd go with NTU for the strong reputation, more established alumni, and a rich history. You will also get to complete your degree early and start focusing on your business. However, others may say that SMU might have a stronger entrepreneurial culture. Regardless, Singapore being Singapore, there'll be endless mugging so at the end of the day it's still pretty academic. I hope this helps. All the best!

Thanks for the advice. I got all a's for my a levels except for a b in physics. My sat was 2280. I was just thinking that I would start to be an entrepreneur after the 6 year bond. You know gain experience and money. Anyways, will the study of economics help me in entrepreneurship? Just asking, since I don't want to be studying my whole uni life. I already had too much mugging in JC. I love both economics and business although leaning towards business. Thanks again
Old 03-26-2016, 01:47 AM   #4
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

going to a good Uni overseas such as Cornell lets U connect with their entrepreneur clubs. U can leverage SG working experience and connections built overseas to start a company.

startup sounds great alot of ppl doing it, how many really successfully. best to do your research on which Uni has a good history in kicking off entrepreneurs and providing support for entrepreneurs. some Bschool such as Harvard MBA porogram has great Alumni and support. lack of fund no problems as their network can draw volunteers helping u kick start a great biz idea. I have no idea if local uni or the uni you listed have that level of support.

U may meet some A level CEO or founder's kid to become your buddy to help u kickstart biz or tag U along on their new biz venture at a big name Uni. Will U get that locally? I don't know.

PS: U don't need a degree to start a biz.. those Hawkers not considered entrepreneurs? ^^;
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:26 AM   #5
zacxy

The best thing about being an entrepreneur is that there is no fixed time for you to be one. It's all about being at the right place and the right time, and having the right ideas. So it is also perfectly fine if you wish to form your own company after gaining experience and networks from SIA. Should you choose that path, then definitely go overseas for your Bachelors as what patryn said is true. US universities are much more supportive of start-ups and the culture of entrepreneurship is far stronger, not to mention less academic focused. Bear in mind that accepting the SIA scholarship means that your career will probably be fast-tracked and they will want to promote you towards management level so after 6 years you'll need to make a decision whether to stay and enjoy attractive salary and career advancement or venture out and follow your dreams. And honestly no one can tell what's going to happen 10 years down the road, so it's really up to you. I would say business definitely suits you better because its more focused. Economics on the other hand is more of theoretical and you'll also learn about government intervention, policies and the global economy. The scope of Business is more of managing a company and learning about its structure and their functions. Both complement each other though! Graduates with both skills sets will definitely be in high demand.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:33 PM   #6
Shhhs

Thanks guys for your valuable advice. Most likely I will be going to Cornell aem since I am also a national runner for Singapore and I have contacted the coach there and he is willing to train me while I am in Cornell. Thanks again
Old 03-27-2016, 12:40 AM   #7
zacxy

I'm glad you've managed to make a decision. Shows that you're a decisive and rational person. Wish you all the best in your future endeavours!
Old 03-27-2016, 02:46 AM   #8
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

Ppl at top uni still mug, overseas uni does not mean they are less focus academically than local ivies. As long as one is in to score high gpa spending long days studying not uncommon.
Depending on major Many things are not taught in the textbooks requires additional reading outside classes.
Some prof loves to quiz ppl b4 the lesson to check if you play your role as student

What USA offer is undergrad research opportunities.

Last edited by patryn33; 03-27-2016 at 02:49 AM.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote