BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > USA
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #11
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

http://www.stanford.edu/dept/uga/app...n/testing.html

Quote:
SAT Subject Tests are recommended but not required for admission. We recommend taking at least two SAT Subject Tests, as such information will assist us in our evaluation process. Applicants, however, who choose not to take SAT Subject Tests will not be at a disadvantage in the admission process.
For those applicants who elect to take a SAT Subject Test in the area of math, we recommend taking Mathematics Level 2 if you feel that your math background has adequately prepared you for that test.
I'm interested, why only Stanford? There are many universities in the US which are just as good if not better in computer science.
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #12
Shazwi

Shazwi has a neutral reputation

because its connected to Silicon Valley and i wanna expand my connections there as im starting up a web company now and hopefully get it running as per normal once i get out of national service...
Shazwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #13
yanshuo

yanshuo has a neutral reputation

You must bear in mind that Stanford is very, very hard to get into. Moreover, USA unis are known to have very strange admissions criteria, so even if you are the very best candidate there is, you could still be unlucky and not get in.

Hence, if you want so much to work in Silicon Valley, my advice to you is to have a Plan B, C, and so on. No doubt Stanford is the best, but there are many other very good universities in the area as well e.g. UC Berkely and UCLA.

In fact, Silicon Valley is not the only fertile ground for budding IT entrepreneurs in the US. Carnegie Mellon has very impressive programmes in IT, and is much easier to get into because its other schools are not so good. Theres also UIUC, Georgia Tech....

Anyway my point is that if you want to see your dreams snuff out just because of a single failure, you must insure yourself. And the way to insure yourself is to have as many Plan Bs as possible. Always anticipate the worst, that way you will still end up with the best possible scenario
yanshuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:29 PM   #14
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

yes, yanshuo is right on the mark. Stanford is very hard to get into, while there are many other equally good universities for CS that may be easier. You're denying yourself alot alot of possible opportunities if you focus only on Stanford. To you, it seems like the best choices for studying CS + getting Silicon Valley connections are, in order:

1) Stanford
2) Local universities NTU/NUS
3) THEN other US universities

If you think about it, this doesn't make sense! Other than Stanford, there are many many other universities with CS programs that are much better than those of NTU/NUS. If you talk about making SV connections, there's also no way NTU/NUS will help you better than being in the US itself. Stanford may be nearer SV, but Carnegie Mellon, UIUC, MIT, etcetc also have well-connected professors, also have programs that send you to SV, also have internship opportunities in SV that NTU/NUS students don't get. You are missing out on alot if you limit yourself to just Stanford before turning to local unis.
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #15
Shazwi

Shazwi has a neutral reputation

haha chill guys... i wll take that advice... certainly stanford will be a plus but other US unis will be still ok...

i know you need plans a b c... for now, i just have 2 plans...
Shazwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:21 AM   #16
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

2008 USNEWS Computer Sci (phd)
1. Carnegie Mellon Uni
1. MIT
1. Stanford
1. UC-Berkeley
5. Cornell
5. UiUC
7 Uni of Washington
8. Princeton Uni
9 Uni of Texas - Auston
9 Uni of Wisconsin-madison
11 Cal Inst. of Tech
11 Georgia Tech

Computer Sci Specialties -AI
1. MIT
2. Stanford
3. Carnegie mellon
4. UC-bberkeley
5. Uni of Washington
6 Uni of Texas -Austin
7 Uni of Penn
8 UiUC
9 Uni of Maryland - College park
10 Cornell

Computer Sci Specialties -Programming Lang
1. Carnegie mellon
2. Stanford
2 UC-Berkeley
4 MIT
5 Cornell
6 Uni of Washington
7 Princeton
8 Rice
8 UiUC
10 Uni of Wisconsin

Computer Sci Specialties - Systems
1 UC-Berkeley
2 MIT
3 Carnegie mellon
4 Stanford
5 UiUC
6 Uni of Washington
7 Uni of Wisconsin
8 Uni of Texas-Austin
9 UC-San Diego
10 Princeton
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:34 AM   #17
patryn33

Didn't U guys read the recent (this week) Bizweek, SV is in somekind of trouble.

International Stanford undergrad not in great demand in States.
even my buddy grad (the few lucky ones that is on full Phd fellowship, BTW stanford ax like 80% of those ppl on their Phd program) with Stanford Masters Electrical Engineering still took him 6mths to find employment! what tops it is he gotta moved all the way to Northeast without relocation package!!!
Old 02-07-2009, 09:57 AM   #18
iDeAs

iDeAs has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazwi View Post
because its connected to Silicon Valley and i wanna expand my connections there as im starting up a web company now and hopefully get it running as per normal once i get out of national service...
Connected is no gurantee of anything, there are many paths. Have a friend who graduated with Hons from Curtin Uni in Australia in CS, headhunted and now in Silicon Valley
iDeAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #19
patryn33

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDeAs View Post
Connected is no gurantee of anything, there are many paths. Have a friend who graduated with Hons from Curtin Uni in Australia in CS, headhunted and now in Silicon Valley
just graduated from curtin with zero experience and was headhunted to the Valley?

not easy leh... no need to find job.. job all the way from US knock at your door. what are the chances man! its like Michael Dell, Gates.

I think the "connection" to be Stanford or UC-Berkeley stand better chance than getting headhunted.
then again, whats the chance for Stanford/Berkeley undergrad today.
if Shazwi is good, don't have to go to the Valley also have no issue. Today's Valley is not for the dot-com. Zappos founder Tony Hsieh (Harvard CS grad) started an ad network company that was sold to MS for US$265M. kinda says if U are great idea, U don't need to be near the valley.

Last edited by patryn33; 02-08-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #20
iDeAs

iDeAs has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by patryn33 View Post
just graduated from curtin with zero experience and was headhunted to the Valley?

not easy leh... no need to find job.. job all the way from US knock at your door. what are the chances man! its like Michael Dell, Gates.

I think the "connection" to be Stanford or UC-Berkeley stand better chance than getting headhunted.
then again, whats the chance for Stanford/Berkeley undergrad today.
if Shazwi is good, don't have to go to the Valley also have no issue. Today's Valley is not for the dot-com. Zappos founder Tony Hsieh (Harvard CS grad) started an ad network company that was sold to MS for US$265M. kinda says if U are great idea, U don't need to be near the valley.
Yeah apparently the company was interested in the project he undertook involving AI...just goes to show they look more at your abilities and vision.
iDeAs is offline   Reply With Quote