BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > USA
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:17 AM   #21
vitalism

vitalism has a neutral reputation
Send a message via MSN to vitalism

Quote:
Originally Posted by 賢狼ほろ View Post
Thanks for the info.

I still don't think I'll take KI in JC though, due to other reasons, such as from what I've heard, the total lack of free time. I do find it interesting, but I'm not willing to sacrifice my extracurricular interests for it.
well i think that might prove to be a very wise decision. i don't think KI students fared particularly well in last year's KI paper ><
vitalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:01 PM   #22
simyanliang

simyanliang has a neutral reputation

Hey there,

Quite alot of US info on schools, TOEFL and applications here:
http://tjchighed.pbwiki.com/US-Main-Page

SAT Notes:
http://tjchighed.pbwiki.com/SAT-Reas...-Subject-Tests
simyanliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #23
Run

Run has a neutral reputation

I'm applying this year, and I've a few questions (already registered with Common App).

1. Where in Common App do I indicate my 'A' Level grades?

2. Is there any maximum word limit for the Common App essay? What's the "ideal" length of my essay?

3. What sort of information should I include in "additional information"?

Thanks in advance!
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #24
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

1. You will fill them in the Secondary School Report https://www.commonapp.org/CommonApp/...chool_Form.pdf before giving it to your CT.

2. Although the Common App itself does not specify any word limit, the conventional length of the essay is about 500 words. If the college you apply to does not specify any word limits anywhere, then it should be safe to write anywhere between 500-600 words. Just make sure your essay is worth its length.

3. You could include any other information you might like the college to know. A common practice is to attach your full resume in this section.
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:53 PM   #25
Run

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockT31W View Post
1. You will fill them in the Secondary School Report https://www.commonapp.org/CommonApp/...chool_Form.pdf before giving it to your CT.

2. Although the Common App itself does not specify any word limit, the conventional length of the essay is about 500 words. If the college you apply to does not specify any word limits anywhere, then it should be safe to write anywhere between 500-600 words. Just make sure your essay is worth its length.

3. You could include any other information you might like the college to know. A common practice is to attach your full resume in this section.
Thanks for your reply
Old 09-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #26
Run

Out of curiosity, anyone knows if it's possible to submit different common app essays to different colleges?
Old 09-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #27
koo86

koo86 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run View Post
Out of curiosity, anyone knows if it's possible to submit different common app essays to different colleges?
Hmm u can't do that, only once u start filling out the supplements for the individual colleges will you be able to submit different essays
Old 09-20-2009, 09:12 AM   #28
Run

But under "My Colleges", if I click on one of my chosen colleges, click application and press submit, they'll only submit my main application details to that college, right? Not all colleges?

Just need to make sure, because I'm worried about clicking the submit button for my EA choice as well; I'm afraid it'll submit my Common App application to the rest of the colleges as well. :S
Old 01-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #29
Haecceity

Haecceity has a neutral reputation

Recommended Calendar for applying to US universities

1) Take SATs
May: Sign up for June SATs. (The deadline is usually a month to two months before the actual SATs.) When you sign up for SATs on collegeboard.com, indicate which universities you want them to send the scores to, and they'll send the scores to the first four universities for free.

June: If possible, try to get all your SATs (SAT I and SAT II) done by June-July. If this isn't convenient, you can do your SATs between prelims and As, or right after As. They just need to be done before the Jan 1st of the year that you are applying for.

2) Choose your university
July: Pick the universities which you like. For US universities, you don't need to decide on your major yet. The deadline for declaring your major is during your second year at university.

3) Common Application
July-August: Get the requisite forms from your school’s Student Office, or if your school doesn’t have its own custom forms, download them from The Common App (https://www.commonapp.org/). That is the online application form used by almost all US universities. (Except for the University of Chicago, which has its own Uncommon App.)

Pass your Civics Tutor the Final School Report and 2 Subject Tutors the Teacher Evaluation forms. So assuming you apply to five schools, each tutor should get five envelopes from you, each containing a form for that particular school.

4) Preliminary Examinations
Sept: Most Singapore schools advise you to submit your Preliminary Examination scores to the universities you are applying to, and most universities require ‘high school transcripts’ which is taken to mean your Preliminary Examination transcripts. However, admissions officers have stated clearly that this is not required. Admissions officers recommend that you submit these if your scores are good, as it can benefit your application. However, non-submission will not disadvantage your application. US universities care instead about predicted A-level grades because they know that Prelim scores will not accurately reflect the aptitude of most students.

5) Personal Statements
Dec: Using your Common App account, electronically make payment for and send your essays to the various schools you are applying to. The deadline for submission of your application is January 1 of the year you wish to enter the university.
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.
Haecceity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #30
koo86

koo86 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run View Post
But under "My Colleges", if I click on one of my chosen colleges, click application and press submit, they'll only submit my main application details to that college, right? Not all colleges?

Just need to make sure, because I'm worried about clicking the submit button for my EA choice as well; I'm afraid it'll submit my Common App application to the rest of the colleges as well. :S
oh gosh, sorry for the late reply, I only managed to see this now.
Erm, for the common app essays, it will submit to all of the colleges, ONLY the supplement page will u be able to submit individually