BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NTU
Click Here if you forgot your password.

View Poll Results: If you are qualified to get in these courses, which one would you pick?
Mathematics NTU 6 5.56%
Economics NTU 10 9.26%
Mathematics & Economics NTU 61 56.48%
Mathematics NUS 9 8.33%
Economics NUS 22 20.37%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #21
breezezzz
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6
breezezzz has a neutral reputation
Default

Thanks for your explanation. It helps a lot.

Actually, I still have a question. Do MAEC students have global immersion program or exchange program in year 3? If do, how many of them can get the chance?

One more, what about MFE? Is it possible to move on to take up masters in financial engineering? I heard it's hard to get in that program.
breezezzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:26 PM   #22
aqua89
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 13
aqua89 has a neutral reputation
Default

Sonrocker,
Ok. Now i am more skewed towards MAEC than FASS. But before i decide, may i kindly ask what r ur grades that u use to enter this course(i know is the old system but nvm) and how are you coping down there?(e.g is ur GPA good, r u struggling to pass, are you enjoying urself there? etc) ANd is my weakness for probability and vectors going to cost me a lot?

Thanks for your help.: )
aqua89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:43 PM   #23
sonrocker
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 243
sonrocker has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezezzz View Post
Thanks for your explanation. It helps a lot.

Actually, I still have a question. Do MAEC students have global immersion program or exchange program in year 3? If do, how many of them can get the chance?

One more, what about MFE? Is it possible to move on to take up masters in financial engineering? I heard it's hard to get in that program.
Honestly I dont really know much about GIP or exchange prog ( didnt make e efforts to go find out haha ) so I cant comment on how many will get it. But from what I understand, there are many briefing session on these programmes going on, especially when the application period zeroes in.

Financial Engineering is quite a quantitative course. Sure you can move on to take MFE. I guess your maths will be helpful in one way or another. MFE is NTU is quite good, as I've heard.
sonrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #24
sonrocker
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 243
sonrocker has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua89 View Post
Sonrocker,
Ok. Now i am more skewed towards MAEC than FASS. But before i decide, may i kindly ask what r ur grades that u use to enter this course(i know is the old system but nvm) and how are you coping down there?(e.g is ur GPA good, r u struggling to pass, are you enjoying urself there? etc) ANd is my weakness for probability and vectors going to cost me a lot?

Thanks for your help.: )
I think you should check out the latest uni grade profile. It will give more objective view on what is really happening in terms of entry requirement.
As u can might have imagined, I enjoy taking MAEC course modules.
I wouldnt say you will be significantly worse off, course materials go beyond those topics, just have a correct attitude and work hard.

Last edited by sonrocker; 03-15-2010 at 05:52 PM.
sonrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #25
sonrocker
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 243
sonrocker has a neutral reputation
Default

Hi all
I see some concerns about ppl like econs but feel reserved about studying maths, check out this blog post from a prof at Harvard:
http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/2006/...d-at-math.html
There are many good read from this blog too. Enjoy!
sonrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #26
vvv
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6
vvv has a neutral reputation
Default

Hi, i want to know what is economics like in uni? The theories, are they something like what we've learnt in jc? I know that it would be more mathematical as i've heard from many but not sure what it means.

I enjoy maths myself so my reserve about taking this course is the economics part. Will economics will take up the larger portion? Thanks.
vvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #27
sonrocker
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 243
sonrocker has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvv View Post
Hi, i want to know what is economics like in uni? The theories, are they something like what we've learnt in jc? I know that it would be more mathematical as i've heard from many but not sure what it means.

I enjoy maths myself so my reserve about taking this course is the economics part. Will economics will take up the larger portion? Thanks.
First year economics modules generally share similarities with what u learn in JC. However, things will be discussed more in-depth. Having studied once in JC would provide a good foundation.

From year 2 onwards, the modules would be quite different as you will be studying Econometrics, International Economics, amongst many others.

The maths part, for example, how do you maximize profit of firms in certain market ( perfectly or imperfectly competitive ), study linear regression line etc.

I would say the course structure is quite balanced in terms of modules distribution.
sonrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:42 PM   #28
breezezzz
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6
breezezzz has a neutral reputation
Default

Hi, I'm here again... Recently, I find statistics is also a good major. Actually, I'm thinking about going to banks or airline companies to work. Then, which major is more suitable, statistics or MAEC? Thank you~
breezezzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:46 PM   #29
sonrocker
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 243
sonrocker has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezezzz View Post
Hi, I'm here again... Recently, I find statistics is also a good major. Actually, I'm thinking about going to banks or airline companies to work. Then, which major is more suitable, statistics or MAEC? Thank you~
If you decide to focus on statistics, take a maths course, for eg NTU maths, and declare " Statistics " as your specialisation and take statistics modules required. Your cert probably will say:

Bachelor of Mathematics
Specialisation: Statistics

In MAEC, u dont have to declare specialisation, u can just keep taking statistics modules to fulfill the maths part. Since u do not declare, your cert will say:

Bachelor of Mathematics & Economics.

I'm not sure about jobs in airline companies. About jobs in bank, it depends what position you are looking at, but u should know they do hire graduates across the board.
sonrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:41 PM   #30
appleorange
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6
appleorange has a neutral reputation
Default

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie here, from Malaysia with STPM qualification.

I would like to know, if I have absolutely ZERO knowledge about economics, can I actually survive in this course? Or I will suffer in the economics part?

and is there many who are taking this course with Malaysia STPM qualification too?

Thanks!! =D
appleorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 08:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.