BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:06 AM   #361
Lafiesta

Lafiesta has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiesta View Post
Received nus offer of DDP on accountancy and Econs on 17 apr but till now yet to receive the admission package but a friend received hers for biz analytic.
Finally received my NUS admission package this morning and an invitation to NUS BBA MasterClass on 3 May.

Unable to attend the NUS biz camp on 10-13 Jun as will be away on holidays. Hope I wouldn't miss out much of not going for it.

FYI, there is a FASS open hse on 17 May, 11am-6pm at Shaw foundation bldg.
Lafiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #362
CUBEgenre

CUBEgenre has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Finally received my NUS admission package this morning and an invitation to NUS BBA MasterClass on 3 May.

Unable to attend the NUS biz camp on 10-13 Jun as will be away on holidays. Hope I wouldn't miss out much of not going for it.

FYI, there is a FASS open hse on 17 May, 11am-6pm at Shaw foundation bldg.
Hey did u have to accept the offer before you received the package? Cuz I havent received it either but the portal accepted me on 17 apr too! but maybe its because i havent accepted the offer?
CUBEgenre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:58 PM   #363
Lafiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUBEgenre View Post
Hey did u have to accept the offer before you received the package? Cuz I havent received it either but the portal accepted me on 17 apr too! but maybe its because i havent accepted the offer?
Hi hi, maybe it's on the way to you already. I also haven't accept the offer as still can't decide between nus, ntu or smu.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:07 PM   #364
CUBEgenre

CUBEgenre has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Hi hi, maybe it's on the way to you already. I also haven't accept the offer as still can't decide between nus, ntu or smu.

Hey! thx for the prompt reply!! We're probably on the same boat, I was posted to biz as well! Cant decide between nus/ntu. I'll be going for the masterclass so maybe i'll see u there
CUBEgenre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:29 AM   #365
Lafiesta

Quote:
Hey! thx for the prompt reply!! We're probably on the same boat, I was posted to biz as well! Cant decide between nus/ntu. I'll be going for the masterclass so maybe i'll see u there
I won't be going for the masterclass as it crashes with smu's tea session which I hv signed up for. Do share your experience after attending.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:49 PM   #366
x_honglun

x_honglun has a neutral reputation

Hi! I have a question on NUS appeal and hope someone can help me sort it out.

I understand that accepting the NUS offer before appeal begins will lead to 2 possible outcomes: 1) Successful - secured a place in the appealed course 2) Unsuccessful - secured a place in the previously offered course.

What happens if I accept the NTU offer before appealing to NUS? If unsuccessful, does that mean the the first offer from NUS be automatically declined and I'll be going to NTU?

Many thanks!

Last edited by x_honglun; 05-01-2014 at 07:49 PM. Reason: grammatical errors
x_honglun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:48 AM   #367
allriseblue11

allriseblue11 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
I can't decide between NTU and NUS too >< I'll be going for the masterclass too!
allriseblue11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:41 PM   #368
Lafiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by allriseblue11 View Post
I can't decide between NTU and NUS too >< I'll be going for the masterclass too!
Do share your experience after attending the masterclass.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:12 AM   #369
allriseblue11

allriseblue11 has a neutral reputation
Default Thoughts on NUS BBA Master Class

After registration, we were informed that we will be split according to the course that we have interest in since the different courses have their sample seminar classes at different locations. So my friend and I chose Accountancy. We were given a gift pack which consists of a really heavy book (hardcover) titled Top 50 SMEs in Singapore, the NUS BBA information booklet (which they gave out in the NUS Open Day too), pen, post-it pads and a NUS BBA shirt!

We were then ushered to the respective tables to mingle around with seniors of the course that we've chosen. Both my friend and I didn't ask much and we didn't eavesdrop much too. But we did ask one female school ambassador about hall life and she was sharing that she stayed in Temasek Hall, Sheares Hall and King Edward VII Hall. Temasek Hall places emphasis on sports while Sheares focus on performing arts. Not sure about King Edward VII though.

Next, there was the opening speech by the Management Associate of Undergraduate Studies Ms Wong Yee Min, Helen (if I'm not mistaken).

After the speech, we were then brought to the respective seminar rooms in the Business School building (the newly built one) for our seminar class. For accountancy, the seminar class was conducted by Assoc Prof Winston Kwok. It was an introduction on the key terms of accountancy (assets, profits, bottom line...) and he brought us through the reading of financial statements of Singapore and Malaysia Airlines. He asked questions here and there and the prizes were accountancy textbooks written by him. He also carried interactive activities with us. He asked us some yes/no questions (such as "do you or your parents buy shares?") and requested us to answer the questions by smsing our answers to the given number. The answers were then collated and represented in a bar graph. He shared that this interactive system is anonymous and is a platform for students to give feedback during lessons. I didn't take note on the duration of the seminar class but it felt like an 30 minutes or so?

We were then brought to the Shaw Foundation Alumni House for our lunch buffet. It was absolutely high class. We were seated at banquet tables and there were waitresses serving us (orange juice). Each table had at least one professor seated there too. Dr Zhou Jie sat at the table with us. Before we could proceed to the buffet tables, there was a speech by the Vice Dean of Business School. Basically he was convincing us that NUS Business School is the right choice for us and mentioned about the the grade-less system for first year students in AY 2014/2015. He said NUS will give a press report soon this month so keep a look out for it. Then there were student sharings about how NUS Business School provided them with plenty of opportunities and the rigor of the NUS Business curriculum set a good foundation for them (that when they go on internships or CASE competitions, they were able to impress the management etc).

Finally we could head to the buffet tables! There were salads and soups in addition to the main dishes. Didn't pay attention if they had desserts too. Anyway, for the main dishes, there were lamb, salmon fillet, cream cheese pasta, rice, beef rendang and broccoli, as far as I can remember. The food was superb! Unfortunately, Dr Zhou Jie didn't talked much to us. So we were just eating the good food.

My friend and I left after our first round of food.

My thoughts on the NUS BBA Master Class:
NUS invested a lot in this event, especially the food. They tried to impress us with the grandeur of the newly built building but from what I heard from seniors, first and second year students will be having most of the lessons in the older buildings. The interactive system in seminar class (it is also carried in lectures) is rather interesting, at least to me. It encourages participation and the novelty helps to keep me interested/awake. I was impressed by the students' presentations too (the one in Shaw Foundation Alumni House) because they spoke confidently and eloquently. [When I went for the accountancy talk during NTU's Open House, the student speaker sounded shaky and uncertain so I was rather concerned if NTU trains students to be good presenters, especially for business and accountancy students.]
allriseblue11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #370
Lafiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by allriseblue11 View Post
After registration, we were informed that we will be split according to the course that we have interest in since the different courses have their sample seminar classes at different locations. So my friend and I chose Accountancy. We were given a gift pack which consists of a really heavy book (hardcover) titled Top 50 SMEs in Singapore, the NUS BBA information booklet (which they gave out in the NUS Open Day too), pen, post-it pads and a NUS BBA shirt!

We were then ushered to the respective tables to mingle around with seniors of the course that we've chosen. Both my friend and I didn't ask much and we didn't eavesdrop much too. But we did ask one female school ambassador about hall life and she was sharing that she stayed in Temasek Hall, Sheares Hall and King Edward VII Hall. Temasek Hall places emphasis on sports while Sheares focus on performing arts. Not sure about King Edward VII though.

Next, there was the opening speech by the Management Associate of Undergraduate Studies Ms Wong Yee Min, Helen (if I'm not mistaken).

After the speech, we were then brought to the respective seminar rooms in the Business School building (the newly built one) for our seminar class. For accountancy, the seminar class was conducted by Assoc Prof Winston Kwok. It was an introduction on the key terms of accountancy (assets, profits, bottom line...) and he brought us through the reading of financial statements of Singapore and Malaysia Airlines. He asked questions here and there and the prizes were accountancy textbooks written by him. He also carried interactive activities with us. He asked us some yes/no questions (such as "do you or your parents buy shares?") and requested us to answer the questions by smsing our answers to the given number. The answers were then collated and represented in a bar graph. He shared that this interactive system is anonymous and is a platform for students to give feedback during lessons. I didn't take note on the duration of the seminar class but it felt like an 30 minutes or so?

We were then brought to the Shaw Foundation Alumni House for our lunch buffet. It was absolutely high class. We were seated at banquet tables and there were waitresses serving us (orange juice). Each table had at least one professor seated there too. Dr Zhou Jie sat at the table with us. Before we could proceed to the buffet tables, there was a speech by the Vice Dean of Business School. Basically he was convincing us that NUS Business School is the right choice for us and mentioned about the the grade-less system for first year students in AY 2014/2015. He said NUS will give a press report soon this month so keep a look out for it. Then there were student sharings about how NUS Business School provided them with plenty of opportunities and the rigor of the NUS Business curriculum set a good foundation for them (that when they go on internships or CASE competitions, they were able to impress the management etc).

Finally we could head to the buffet tables! There were salads and soups in addition to the main dishes. Didn't pay attention if they had desserts too. Anyway, for the main dishes, there were lamb, salmon fillet, cream cheese pasta, rice, beef rendang and broccoli, as far as I can remember. The food was superb! Unfortunately, Dr Zhou Jie didn't talked much to us. So we were just eating the good food.

My friend and I left after our first round of food.

My thoughts on the NUS BBA Master Class:
NUS invested a lot in this event, especially the food. They tried to impress us with the grandeur of the newly built building but from what I heard from seniors, first and second year students will be having most of the lessons in the older buildings. The interactive system in seminar class (it is also carried in lectures) is rather interesting, at least to me. It encourages participation and the novelty helps to keep me interested/awake. I was impressed by the students' presentations too (the one in Shaw Foundation Alumni House) because they spoke confidently and eloquently. [When I went for the accountancy talk during NTU's Open House, the student speaker sounded shaky and uncertain so I was rather concerned if NTU trains students to be good presenters, especially for business and accountancy students.]

Thanks for sharing your last Saturday's experience.

As for me, after some consideration, I have decided to accept NUS's DDP offer on accountancy and econs. NTU a bit too far as I'm staying in the east and not intend to stay in hall. SMU's culture is not my style.

Hope I have made the right choice