BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
summerB

summerB has a neutral reputation
Default NUS FASS & Majors

Hi,
just want to ask around...what major would you want to do for 2nd year?
summerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
clarenceux

clarenceux has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerB View Post
Hi,
just want to ask around...what major would you want to do for 2nd year?
Aye, at the present I would like to read Political Science or History as my major. If my grades in NUS permit, probably a double major.

Communication and New Media sounds interesting, but I guess it all depends on how well I do for my exposure modules.

What about you?
clarenceux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
summerB

summerB has a neutral reputation

hi, i am still waiting for my offer...but if i do get fass, i would like to do psychology
summerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
Akiyama

Akiyama has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarenceux View Post
Aye, at the present I would like to read Political Science or History as my major. If my grades in NUS permit, probably a double major.

Communication and New Media sounds interesting, but I guess it all depends on how well I do for my exposure modules.

What about you?
Hi, whats the different between double majors and double degree prog? dun u aso study 2 majors??
Akiyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
rui

rui has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyama View Post
Hi, whats the different between double majors and double degree prog? dun u aso study 2 majors??
If you take Double Majors, they are usually from the same discipline (e.g. Pol Science & Psychology). If you take Double Degrees, you are majoring in fields from two different disciplines (e.g. Law & Medicine).

Though Law & Medicine isn't possible in Singapore
Nota bene: What I say reflects purely my own opinion; it may not be definitive, and in no way representative of BrightSparks. Do exercise your own discretion in assimilating the information in coming up with your own opinions and decisions.

Local Moderator - UK
rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
Rolando

Rolando has a neutral reputation

Here to do a tiny bit of correction:

Quote:
Actually, a friend of mine describes double major and double degree which helped put things in perspective for me. Double major is like combined science, you get a bit of both but double degree in like taking double science, both your courses are thorough such that you graduate with 2 degrees.
To avoid confusing the reader, I would like to point out that double major is not akin to combined science in the sense that the content for both your primary and second majors are diluted such that the overall workload is equivalent to that of a single subject/major. The requirements you have to fulfil for your primary major will remain the same (60 MCs for non-honours, 100 for honours) regardless of whether you are doing a single degree or double degree or double majors or one major plus one minor, etc. Your second major will be studied at a reasonable intensity and to a sufficient depth that will allow you to be acquainted with the main ideas and the various intricacies of the subject (48 MCs). You will not be allowed to study that subject to honours level (you can take only a limited number of level 4000 modules), so you will be unlikely to perform research of said subject (not that any undergraduate does any *actual* research for his or her primary major anyway).

Also,
Quote:
If you take Double Majors, they are usually from the same discipline (e.g. Pol Science & Psychology).
I understand that you did write the word 'usually', but to avoid any misconceptions from arising, your second major can be taken from a separate discipline (think: economics and statistics).
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:17 AM   #7
ohhdivaa

ohhdivaa has a neutral reputation

hihi anyone got into FASS already and is interested in majoring in psych?
ohhdivaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #8
onemillioncrayons

onemillioncrayons has a neutral reputation

umm, i'd probably do econs if my appeal into FASS is successful haha, just wondering though, how does the declaration of major work? Is it garunteed that i will get what i want to do?
onemillioncrayons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
ruuix

ruuix has a neutral reputation

I'm most probably making Econs my major!
I'm gonna try out pol sci & cnm in my first sem too and see if i like them. if i do well enough, i'll try a double major!

I heard that you will get your declared major as long as you pass that major's exposure modules.. Not sure how it is though. I should probably go ask some of my FASS Seniors.
ruuix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #10
SMUgger

SMUgger has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruuix View Post
I heard that you will get your declared major as long as you pass that major's exposure modules..
yup... bid and pass exposure module
SMUgger is offline   Reply With Quote