BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #521
mayumi

mayumi has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolick View Post
I have listed out some modules I am planning to take this Yr1Sem1 and I hope you can give some comments so that I can rethink.

1) GEK2503: Remote Sensing for Earth Obs -> GEM (Sci Tech)
2) GE1101E : Place,Environment and Society -> FASS Exposure (1)
3) SW1101E: Social Work Intro -> " (2)
4) PL1101E : Psych (Depends if I can get this cos of competition) -> " (3)
5) Southeast Asian Studies (Asian Basket) -> " (4)

Based on your experience, how is the workload?
I think the workload should be manageable if you make the effort to keep up with readings haha. Personally, I'd not taken any modules you mentioned

GE1101E, SW1101E, SE1101E: Heavy on readings
PL1101E: lots of brain space (for memorization) required, need to read thick textbook.

The thing is, FASS students cannot escape from readings :/ NM1101E has a thin reading pack compared to other modules (abt an inch?), though some of them are dry and boooring~ I think there's no readings for EC1101E (except textbook, if you need it). There's reading packs for all other exposure modules if im not wrong. Personally, I would rather have a thick reading pack with interesting readings than a thin one with sleep-inducing content. Of 'cos, you don't have to complete your readings o__o They're more for your comprehension and topics for tutorial discussion (although some modules do test from readings!).

I think you should choose a backup module for GEK2503. If you see the bidding history, it was 1 pt two years ago at Round 2A, but last yr's it was 400 pt. It seems that students heard of how easy this module is and hence, it's sudden popularity haha. If this trend continues this sem, you won't have enough G-acct pts to get this module..
mayumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #522
frolick

frolick has a neutral reputation

Thanks Mayumi!

I decided to choose GEK2503 cos i read from module review that it is not heavy so i thought i'd choose this to balance the workload but thanks for highlighting to me its gaining popularity..

hehe sometimes i think module demand is very econs-related hehehe
frolick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #523
soriyagtr34

soriyagtr34 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayumi View Post
You get tutorials through balloting, i.e. ranking. I forgot you can rank up till what #, but the preferred way would be for you to shortlist a couple of tutorial timeslots that fit into your schedule nicely and does not clash with other lessons. For example, your 5 modules are CH1101E, PL1101E, TS1101E, EC1101E, and some GEM.

#1: CH1101E D4 (only 5 tutorial slots available, and I die die must get this one 'cos the others all clash/are on my 'off' day/leaves an awesome break in btw lessons/are at ungodly hours!)
#2: GEKXXXX W5 (same reason as above)
#3: PL1101E E19 (I want to combi with CH1101E D4. Both are at same timing but are odd- and even-week tutorials respectively )
#4: TS1101E W3 (quite a few timeslots i can choose from; this is my most preferred)
#5: EC1101E W30 (freaking alot of timeslots that fits my schedule; this is my most preferred)
#6: EC1101E / TS1101E (No. 2 choice for either module)
#7: EC1101E / TS1101E (No. 2 choice for either module)
#8-#20: blah blah~ you don't have to rank to the max. # of timeslots.

This is the way i rank mine o__o Most of the time, I'll get my first 3 timeslots, and if I'm lucky, my first 4. I've friends that got all top 5 o__o Generally, not much ppl will want the early-morning timeslots, so it's easier to get those (hence if you want 8am timeslot, you can rank it lower). But it really depends on how your other cohort-mates rank theirs. The system will allocate based on what ranking students put for a certain timeslot. So those who rank it #1 will almost definitely get that slot. If, e.g., it's a popular slot and alot of students put it as #2, then the system will ballot to choose which of these #2 students get the remaining quota for that slot. Hope this helps

Edit: Oh, tutorial balloting is after lecture bidding, see schedule here: http://www.nus.edu.sg/cors/schedule.html
Hi,

So what you're implying is that it's better to rank no.1 the timeslot you want for modules with very little tutorial slot? Also,isit possible to get like the slot for all your top 5 ranking de tutorial slots?

For example:

#1: CH1101E D4
#2: GEKXXXX W5 (same reason as above)
#3: PL1101E E19 (I want to combi with CH1101E D4. Both are at same timing but are odd- and even-week tutorials respectively )
#4: TS1101E W3 (quite a few timeslots i can choose from; this is my most preferred)
#5: EC1101E W30 (freaking alot of timeslots that fits my schedule; this is my most preferred)

Sorry if it sounds like you make no sense of what I'm writing but it's kind of hard explaining what I wanna write on the internet. Anyway,we're able to rank till no.20 whereby no.20 is like those tutorial slots you're most unlikely to get?
soriyagtr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:19 PM   #524
frolick

frolick has a neutral reputation

Mayumi,

sorry to bombard you with questions again but just one last one from me

instead of GE1101E, can I take GE2204 instead (since there is no pre-requisite and I took H2 Geography in JC)

Thank you thank you thank you!
frolick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:20 AM   #525
Janstorm

Janstorm has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayumi View Post
I was waiting for someone else to reply but it seems I'm the only senior lurking around here >___> Lol

Imo, all the 4 modules you mentioned are rather 'heavy' haha. PL1101E requires lots of memorization and is competitive (ever heard of bell curve?). JS1101E has lots of readings. EC1101E is competitive too, so it'll be good if you have 'A' levels econs backgrd. LAJ1201 is the 'heaviest' of all! 7 hrs of lessons per week. You need to be highly consistent for this module (actually, for all language modules) which means you will learn smt new after every lesson and practically have to revise revise revise every day. (I wanted to take but was too afraid of the workload o__o)

Check out http://module-review.com/category/all-modules/nus/ for more info.

Don't kill yourself in your first sem here. I would recommend you take at most 3 heavy modules out of the 5 you choose to take for your first sem, in case you can't cope with the workload. Since you intend to major/minor in Psy and JS, then it's best you take these two exposure modules in your first sem.

Check out the link for past bidding stats: http://www.nus.edu.sg/cors/archive.html

FASS students are given 600 P-acct and 400 G-acct pts. P acct is for Program modules, incl. language modules. G acct for GEM, SSM, Breadth etc. It's best that you make timetables for more than 1 module-combi, in case some of the modules you want is too expensive this sem. For 'light' modules, you can try GEM? Some GEM modules have really light workload. Again, check out module-review.com for more info. Yes, you can't bid for GEM/SSM/Breadth modules in Round 1C; only from Round 2A onwards. Read 'Bidding Rounds Description' here: http://www.nus.edu.sg/cors/useful-info.html
hey, thanks for your input! and yeah, seems like you're the only senior here. and helpful too! i'll probably die taking those 4 modules huh. i read the module review already. :X

and yes, i took A level Econs, struggled the most for it like hell and for some reason, it was my only A. -.- and i have some knowledge of japanese language already. will that help for LAJ? =/

but i'm not entirely sure if i want to major in psy and econs is my second plan that's why i'm thinking of taking that in my first sem too. =/ maybe i'll take LAJ in another sem. but then i don't know what other modules to take to fill up the recommended 5 modules per sem....

and if i can't bid for GEM in round 1C, how do i study that in my first sem? when does round 2A happen? sorry, i don't know how this thing goes :X if i only bid for GEM/SSM in round 2A does that mean that in round 1C i only have to bid for 3 modules [to fulfill the 5 modules per sem thing]?

sorry i'm so lost. bidding date's drawing close. ahhhhh~

and thanks loads mayumi!
Janstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:26 AM   #526
sooopernova.boy

sooopernova.boy has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolick View Post
Mayumi,

sorry to bombard you with questions again but just one last one from me

instead of GE1101E, can I take GE2204 instead (since there is no pre-requisite and I took H2 Geography in JC)

Thank you thank you thank you!
I'm not Mayumi but I'm an FASS student as well, so hopefully I can answer some of your queries

If you're taking GE2204 as a UE, yes, you can, if there're no prerequisites. However, it cannot fulfill your faculty requirements. You need to take modules that end with an E (which stands for exposure) such as MS1102E, EN1101E, SE110E etc.
sooopernova.boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:32 AM   #527
sooopernova.boy

sooopernova.boy has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janstorm View Post
hey, thanks for your input! and yeah, seems like you're the only senior here. and helpful too! i'll probably die taking those 4 modules huh. i read the module review already. :X

and yes, i took A level Econs, struggled the most for it like hell and for some reason, it was my only A. -.- and i have some knowledge of japanese language already. will that help for LAJ? =/

but i'm not entirely sure if i want to major in psy and econs is my second plan that's why i'm thinking of taking that in my first sem too. =/ maybe i'll take LAJ in another sem. but then i don't know what other modules to take to fill up the recommended 5 modules per sem....

and if i can't bid for GEM in round 1C, how do i study that in my first sem? when does round 2A happen? sorry, i don't know how this thing goes :X if i only bid for GEM/SSM in round 2A does that mean that in round 1C i only have to bid for 3 modules [to fulfill the 5 modules per sem thing]?

sorry i'm so lost. bidding date's drawing close. ahhhhh~

and thanks loads mayumi!
Relax, I don't think it's possible to die from 1101Es >< If I'm not wrong, you can only bid for Arts mods in freshmen-protected Round 1C using your P account (600 points), save university requirements like SSA and GEK10XX etc offered by FASS. GEMs, SSMs, breadth mods etc, regardless of their faculties, are bid for from Round 2A onward using your G account (which has 400 points).

Round 2A is on the 1st of August. You can check the CORS archives (http://www.nus.edu.sg/cors/archive.html) to gauge how much your GEMs etc will be worth. If it's really too expensive for your 400 P account points, maybe you can consider taking breadth mods? >< I took LSM1301 for 1 point, hahaha.
sooopernova.boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:38 AM   #528
Shadowed

Shadowed has a neutral reputation

Anyone can advise on whether EN1101E is a better choice or PL1101E? I'm kind of interested in both but I couldn't find much on EN1101E =x And I'm kinda considering taking ST1131: Intro to stats as breath, but I'm picturing getting pwned by math majors..

Many thanks to our kind seniors on the forums who are kind enough to answer our many questions!

Last edited by Shadowed; 07-16-2011 at 01:43 AM.
Shadowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:28 AM   #529
needadvice

needadvice has a neutral reputation

Hi Mayumi! Thanks so much for taking time to ans my queries, really appreciate it!

I have some more qns here..

1. In NUS FASS, is CRE-LT close to LT10? cos i'm planning to take up modules in which the time are right after each other, eg. 1000-1200 then straightaway from 1200-1400.

2. Will taking a language module increase the possibility of getting in SEP, or either way the chances are the same?

3. After our 1st year, the MCs earned through taking language modules will be contributed to which requirements(http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/undergrad/...gle_major.html) or will it be eventually additional modules that we're taking?

Any seniors please advise! THANKS SO MUCH.
needadvice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #530
RNS

RNS has a neutral reputation
Default Questions about the timetable

Hi
I'd like to ask any seniors out there if it's advisable to schedule the tutorial on the same day as the lecture for the same module.
Also, is it alright if lectures or tutorials are back to back? I'm worried that the lesson will drag amd I'll be late for the next

Thanks
RNS is offline   Reply With Quote