BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2008, 01:04 AM   #31
barney89
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10
barney89 has a neutral reputation
Default Cough Cough.. Ahem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashearo View Post
You make it sound like medicine rejects are the worst scum on Earth. Be clear of what they want? They want to study Medicine. And a lot of them also choose Dentistry mainly because it is the next closest thing. In terms of syllabus, both Medicine and Dentistry focus a lot on Chemistry and Biology, and Dentistry students study as much as 70% of the syllabus studied by Medicine students.

At the age of 18, I can't say that many people have this "passion" for Dentistry. Passion for medicine, yes that is likely, because it is much more convenient to get attached to a hospital/clinic for internships etc. It is not so common for Dentistry. In fact, most people dont even think about becoming a Dentist until they actually read up on it! I believe it is mainly interest that drives people to apply for Dentistry. It does not mean that someone who scores good grades must apply for Dentistry or Medicine, and even if they do, not all of them will get in. You must be able to meet the requirements of the interviewers. If you flunk at the interview, then that is too bad. Don't assume that everyone who gets in is going for the prestige/money. Dental grads from NUS have to foot 70k SGD for tuition fees, so if a student is going to take a bank loan first, then pay off that amount by himself, he wont be very rich after he graduates would he? A fresh dental grad has a 4 year bond to serve, and even if the pay is higher than grads from other courses, the dental grad must pay off the HUGE debt. It will be a long way to go before he even breaks even with others.

Every year, a HUGE number of people become the so called "medicine rejects" that seems to me like theyre the worse kind of scum on Earth. The bulk of this "medicine rejects" do not end up in Dentistry because there are so few places in the first place! Many applicants who got in have Dentistry as their first choice. It is not fair to put others down because they got rejected.
"And a lot of them also choose Dentistry mainly because it is the next closest thing."I wouldn't agree that A LOT of them, there are some but not ALOT.

I believe it is mainly interest that drives people to apply for Dentistry.Isn't interest=slight passion for something or someone?

You must be able to meet the requirements of the interviewers. Then musn't you agree that interviewers have requirements such as not choosing dentistry just because it is the next substitute?

Don't assume that everyone who gets in is going for the prestige/money. together with this I can't say that many people have this "passion" for Dentistry. and you even said that "And a lot of them also choose Dentistry mainly because it is the next closest thing.". Boy aren't you contraditing yourself! (p/s if dentistry is the next closest thing to medicine then the motivation of why they enter into medicine will be the same motivation as that of dentistry. Which you say isn't passion?! So what other then passion can it be their motivation?)

4 year bond to serve
It's not like their are not earning while they serve their bond! They do earn and moreover their (most of them) pays increase exponential after their 4 years of bond.
It will be a long way to go before he even breaks even with others.
BOY, do i so beg to differ. a LONG WAY? My gosh! People don't be a dentist then. Don't be a doctor, forget it! You can't break even you can't earn as much money. Ironic, isn't it. MOTIVATION..ha.

It is not fair to put others down because they got rejected
HELLO? Before you put me down, get your facts right, I was referring to medicine reject who are hogging onto dentistry places. HELP?! I have been falsely accused. WHERE IS JUSTICE WHEN I NEED HIM!!!
barney89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:02 AM   #32
Ashearo
Moderator
 
Ashearo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,715
Ashearo has a neutral reputation
Default

You must be able to meet the requirements of the interviewers. Then musn't you agree that interviewers have requirements such as not choosing dentistry just because it is the next substitute?

The interviewers themselves know that many med applicants also apply for dentistry because in terms of academia, it is the next closest thing

Don't assume that everyone who gets in is going for the prestige/money. together with this I can't say that many people have this "passion" for Dentistry. and you even said that "And a lot of them also choose Dentistry mainly because it is the next closest thing.". Boy aren't you contraditing yourself! (p/s if dentistry is the next closest thing to medicine then the motivation of why they enter into medicine will be the same motivation as that of dentistry. Which you say isn't passion?! So what other then passion can it be their motivation?)

I said its the next closest thing in terms of academia, so interest is the motivation.

4 year bond to serve
It's not like their are not earning while they serve their bond! They do earn and moreover their (most of them) pays increase exponential after their 4 years of bond.
It will be a long way to go before he even breaks even with others.
BOY, do i so beg to differ. a LONG WAY? My gosh! People don't be a dentist then. Don't be a doctor, forget it! You can't break even you can't earn as much money. Ironic, isn't it. MOTIVATION..ha.

It will take a LONG time to break even. You gotta pay 50k more than others?

It is not fair to put others down because they got rejected
HELLO? Before you put me down, get your facts right, I was referring to medicine reject who are hogging onto dentistry places. HELP?! I have been falsely accused. WHERE IS JUSTICE WHEN I NEED HIM!!![/QUOTE]

Even if medicine rejects "hog" dentistry places like you said, they made it in on their own account, with their own credits, and they are deemed better than those who didnt make it in. If you cant convince the interviewers that you have better interest, more passion (if any at all), more impressive, then dont be sour and put others down.
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #33
nayandeepsingh
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2
nayandeepsingh has a neutral reputation
Default pay scale of an average engineer?

any idea about wats the avg starting pay of an engineer from NUS?
nayandeepsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:24 AM   #34
not bright enough
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 70
not bright enough has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dershing View Post
like this thread! Just to add some figures that I know for your reading interests. Also to back up my point that basically it is "hung hung chu zhuang yuan"

2) Admin Service - $30K -$200K per month. See govt numbers. Yes, SAFOS people are included here.
This is overstated. Where did you get your 200K/month figure from? $200K per month means $2.4Mil per year.
not bright enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:44 PM   #35
vengeful
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6
vengeful has a neutral reputation
Default GIC payscale

Anyone has any idea how the payscale of GIC is like? Seems like the prospects are good there!
vengeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:35 PM   #36
賢狼ほろ
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 23
賢狼ほろ has a neutral reputation
Default

But how do you get into Investment Banking? Some of you have mentioned before that IB recruiters look for younger people (early 20s) but if someone were to take up a scholarship, then your early 20s will mostly be consumed by serving the bond. Unless of course they break the bond?

I guess most IBs will have to be self-financed?
賢狼ほろ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:58 PM   #37
dershing
BrightSparks Expert
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 138
dershing has a neutral reputation
Default 200K per month figure

Nottoobright, it is not overstated. Admin service officers encompass you usual $100K per annum guys who are not director level yet all the way to Perm Sec level who are paid >$2M per year. That works out to $200K per month.
dershing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:28 PM   #38
LockT31W
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 813
LockT31W has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 賢狼ほろ View Post
But how do you get into Investment Banking? Some of you have mentioned before that IB recruiters look for younger people (early 20s) but if someone were to take up a scholarship, then your early 20s will mostly be consumed by serving the bond. Unless of course they break the bond?

I guess most IBs will have to be self-financed?
yep. the vast majority of IB recruits come fresh straight out of target schools (HYPSM, oxbridge, ivies). if you're thinking of IB, you really shouldn't be going for scholarships - you might regret it.

IBs do hire from our local unis, but you have to get damn good grades and of course, be great at the 9, 10, 11... rounds of interviews that IB applicants go through.
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:29 PM   #39
not bright enough
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 70
not bright enough has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dershing View Post
Nottoobright, it is not overstated. Admin service officers encompass you usual $100K per annum guys who are not director level yet all the way to Perm Sec level who are paid >$2M per year. That works out to $200K per month.
It is definitely overstated.

Very few, if any, Perm Secs earn more than $2M per year.

You can refer to Minister in charge of Civil Service Mr Teo Chee Hian's speech when he announced civil service pay increases back in 2007. The pay grade for Senior Perm Sec (MR4) is slightly more than $1.5Mil annually and very few PSes are even at MR4. You can verify with your contacts in the Admin Service if you don't believe what I'm saying. Ask them about the promotion lists.

Also aspiring civil servants should note that it is very, very hard to make it to Perm Sec. There are about 300-400 Admin service officers (including Management Associates) and how many Perm Secs are there? 20-ish at most.
not bright enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:19 AM   #40
dershing
BrightSparks Expert
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 138
dershing has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by not bright enough View Post
It is definitely overstated.

Very few, if any, Perm Secs earn more than $2M per year.

You can refer to Minister in charge of Civil Service Mr Teo Chee Hian's speech when he announced civil service pay increases back in 2007. The pay grade for Senior Perm Sec (MR4) is slightly more than $1.5Mil annually and very few PSes are even at MR4. You can verify with your contacts in the Admin Service if you don't believe what I'm saying. Ask them about the promotion lists.

Also aspiring civil servants should note that it is very, very hard to make it to Perm Sec. There are about 300-400 Admin service officers (including Management Associates) and how many Perm Secs are there? 20-ish at most.

not too bright. checked it out again. U are right. Snr PS is 1.6M. So that means range is from 30K - 133K per month. Still fantastic pay. Impt point to note, i do not mean that many civil servants earn 30K - 133K monthly. As you rightly mentioned, there are few perm secretaries and most earn prob the less than 1.5M you mentioned.

But I wonder, how about people like Phillip Yeo? I think he should easily earn like any large listed firm CEO. So he is prob getting 200K a month?
dershing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.