BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Scholarships Application Process
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #101
teddynuts
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 220
teddynuts has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaintomato View Post
Thank you for your quick reply. And I'm sorry, but I got a little confused there: Shouldn't the Singapore application be much later than the US, since US expects the registration to be done by Dec, the year before the program? Or does the application process take place in Jan-Feb of Sec 4 (Since RSI is for JC1 students)? Also, do you know how many people are nominated by the school each year, and do the school typically concentrate on outstanding ECs or grades more? Sorry for asking so many questions, and once again, thanks again in advance
No no...just ignore the US application/registration site. The RSI CEE website and application details are entirely IRRELEVANT to your application. The application process takes place in Jan-Feb of JC1, not Sec 4.

CEE RSI is one of the 4-5 overseas attachment programs that MOE has. It is arguably the most prestigious one for its extended duration, and no other attachment offers you a research opportunity. MOE requests schools to shortlist students for these 4-5 programs. The school nominates about 10-20 students to participate in all these 4-5 programs. In the end, it is up to MOE to decide who to go. Schools usually target the high potential type.

Just a interesting caveat. Having been through one application cycle and seen two junior batches go through the interview, I would say I never saw students beyond RJC, HCI, NUS High, ACS, River Valley, NJ, VJ got into RSI. Sad but true
__________________
The Teddy Nuts
teddynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:59 AM   #102
captaintomato
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 27
captaintomato has a neutral reputation
Default

How many students do moe select to participate in rsi each year, then? And when you said that you did not see students beyond the list of schools mentioned get into RSI, does that mean that only that list of schools nominate their students for the program, or the nominees from the other school simply do not get in? Lastly, sorry for reiterating my question, but of all the nominees that you have witnessed, do they all tend to have better grades, or ECs? (For instance a student with outstanding ECs in related field vs a student with outstanding grades - who stands a better chance at getting nominated and then selected, based on your experience?)

Thank you
captaintomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #103
teddynuts
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 220
teddynuts has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaintomato View Post
How many students do moe select to participate in rsi each year, then? And when you said that you did not see students beyond the list of schools mentioned get into RSI, does that mean that only that list of schools nominate their students for the program, or the nominees from the other school simply do not get in? Lastly, sorry for reiterating my question, but of all the nominees that you have witnessed, do they all tend to have better grades, or ECs? (For instance a student with outstanding ECs in related field vs a student with outstanding grades - who stands a better chance at getting nominated and then selected, based on your experience?)

Thank you
6 in total. that i am not sure about the scvhools thing

the stuents tend to have the best of both. reason being that ecs are obviously important cos you must show evidence of interest in research and science development, while grades are uber important considering u miss 5 weeks of school at your common test/block test, meaning your Promo for jc1 = 100% of your entire jc1 grade. so if moe thinks u cant skip school n catch up after 5-6 weeks, then they wont select u
__________________
The Teddy Nuts
teddynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:43 AM   #104
Cuteflygon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1
Cuteflygon has a neutral reputation
Default

Hi Teddynutts,

I see that you have went through interview with IE Singapore and is awarded Scholarship from Spring Singapore. May I know if it is almost a must to score straight As to be considered for their overseas scholarship?

My A level grades are AAAC AA C Merit which gives me a huge disadvantage at getting scholarships especially overseas. However, I do have a placing at UCL, Imperial and Warwick to study mathematics and econs and i really want to attend these schools.

Is IE and Spring super competitive like EDB/MAS? If so i'll probably not bother applying.

Thanks!
Cuteflygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #105
teddynuts
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 220
teddynuts has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteflygon View Post
Hi Teddynutts,

I see that you have went through interview with IE Singapore and is awarded Scholarship from Spring Singapore. May I know if it is almost a must to score straight As to be considered for their overseas scholarship?

My A level grades are AAAC AA C Merit which gives me a huge disadvantage at getting scholarships especially overseas. However, I do have a placing at UCL, Imperial and Warwick to study mathematics and econs and i really want to attend these schools.

Is IE and Spring super competitive like EDB/MAS? If so i'll probably not bother applying.

Thanks!
I would say that having straight As is highly beneficial to your application. It is presumptuous for me to say if straight As are a must, but generally, the better your grades, the more chance you have (duh!)

I would put IE in the same league as EDB/MAS, but it is pretty distinctive, having a niche market/audience (note that IE is not as 'common' as EDB/MAS because of their unique job scope...read their website)

Spring is a different league because it is a local scholarship and it looks to groom local undergraduates too. So you definitely have a great shot at Spring with your grades, except that your overseas uni admissions are nearly void because Spring prefers local grads
__________________
The Teddy Nuts
teddynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:18 AM   #106
flyaway999
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 11
flyaway999 has a neutral reputation
Default Stanford

Hi Teddynuts!

I see you applied to Stanford. I would like to ask you about your application and whether you applied for financial aid. I really have my heart set on Stanford. I got straight A1s for sec 4 but I slacked off this year so promos grades aren't great D: Also, I want to apply for financial aid, so do you know anyone who applied for financial aid and got in? I know it's a long shot but I might as well try :/ really not interested in any scholarships, the bond looks terrible.

Btw I'm from Hwa Chong too! J1 this year, moving on to J2 next year can you pm me your complete ecs list if that's ok? My ecs aren't strong :/ Thanks for your help in advance!
flyaway999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:20 AM   #107
teddynuts
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 220
teddynuts has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyaway999 View Post
Hi Teddynuts!

I see you applied to Stanford. I would like to ask you about your application and whether you applied for financial aid. I really have my heart set on Stanford. I got straight A1s for sec 4 but I slacked off this year so promos grades aren't great D: Also, I want to apply for financial aid, so do you know anyone who applied for financial aid and got in? I know it's a long shot but I might as well try :/ really not interested in any scholarships, the bond looks terrible.

Btw I'm from Hwa Chong too! J1 this year, moving on to J2 next year can you pm me your complete ecs list if that's ok? My ecs aren't strong :/ Thanks for your help in advance!
Hello junior! No I did not apply for financial aid, because that would affect my chances for admission. For me, admission to Stanford is more important than money, so yea...I am ok with scholarships and bonds so that's why.

Do think about carefully whether you really want fin aid. My advice is for you to apply to need blind schools like Harvard, Yale, MIT, etc. so that your application admission chance is not affected because you want finaid. If you want to try Stanford, why kill your own chances (ok...its not instant kill but it definitely does damage)

Why don't you PM me your ECs list instead?
__________________
The Teddy Nuts
teddynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:51 PM   #108
flyaway999
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 11
flyaway999 has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddynuts View Post
Hello junior! No I did not apply for financial aid, because that would affect my chances for admission. For me, admission to Stanford is more important than money, so yea...I am ok with scholarships and bonds so that's why.

Do think about carefully whether you really want fin aid. My advice is for you to apply to need blind schools like Harvard, Yale, MIT, etc. so that your application admission chance is not affected because you want finaid. If you want to try Stanford, why kill your own chances (ok...its not instant kill but it definitely does damage)

Why don't you PM me your ECs list instead?
pm-ed! can I ask why you're ok with scholarships and bonds? Personally I think it's not worth it but my parents have been trying to convince me to at least consider it. Just wanted to hear your views especially since you secured multiple scholarships. How do you know you'll be ok with working in that organisation for such a long time? also, I read from the Singapore Scholarship Guide (can't rmb the exact title), published online, that scholars are pressured into getting good grades which may deter them from taking modules that are interesting but difficult to score well.

Yeap I'll try applying to those universities, but Stanford is still my dream school. Long shot but worth trying. If I don't succeed, I can always try again for graduate school XD can I ask about your applications? Do they change essay questions every year? Do they look at Sec 4 results or promos? or do they only look at prelims grades? are ECs really very important?

Thanks!
flyaway999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #109
teddynuts
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 220
teddynuts has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyaway999 View Post
pm-ed! can I ask why you're ok with scholarships and bonds? Personally I think it's not worth it but my parents have been trying to convince me to at least consider it. Just wanted to hear your views especially since you secured multiple scholarships. How do you know you'll be ok with working in that organisation for such a long time? also, I read from the Singapore Scholarship Guide (can't rmb the exact title), published online, that scholars are pressured into getting good grades which may deter them from taking modules that are interesting but difficult to score well.

Yeap I'll try applying to those universities, but Stanford is still my dream school. Long shot but worth trying. If I don't succeed, I can always try again for graduate school XD can I ask about your applications? Do they change essay questions every year? Do they look at Sec 4 results or promos? or do they only look at prelims grades? are ECs really very important?

Thanks!
I am ok with scholarships and bonds because I know that I can identify and align myself with the organisation's objectives. I mean people will have different reasons why they take scholarships, but I feel that I can make a real, tangible contribution to the organisation, why not take a sponsorship?

Well, I am not sure whether I will like working in the organisation in future...that's the risk I admit, but I am willing to take that risk. With regard to what you say about grades & modules, it is true, but once again, it is up to an individual. Honestly, I am not gonna care much about whether its hard to score...I mean, ultimately, grades are only gonna matter so much when you already have a job. Sure, your starting grade/pay may be lower than your peers who get A+ in every module, but it then comes down to work performance after your first year.

There are many what-ifs..."What if you don't do well in your job?" or "What if you dislike the organisation?"...these are risks which I have to live with and mitigate.

May I ask, what about Stanford do you like so much?

Essays change every year, to some extent (some years, it can be a phrasing of question, other years, it can be a total overhaul of the entire set of essay questions). Results are super important in making the first cut, no doubt. They look at your grades from Sec 3 FYI, but the grades get progressively important: Sec 4 << Promos << PRELIMS. Prelims are the most important.

Of course! US definitely looks at ECs, as long as we are talking top 100 US universities xD
__________________
The Teddy Nuts
teddynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #110
flyaway999
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 11
flyaway999 has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddynuts View Post
I am ok with scholarships and bonds because I know that I can identify and align myself with the organisation's objectives. I mean people will have different reasons why they take scholarships, but I feel that I can make a real, tangible contribution to the organisation, why not take a sponsorship?

Well, I am not sure whether I will like working in the organisation in future...that's the risk I admit, but I am willing to take that risk. With regard to what you say about grades & modules, it is true, but once again, it is up to an individual. Honestly, I am not gonna care much about whether its hard to score...I mean, ultimately, grades are only gonna matter so much when you already have a job. Sure, your starting grade/pay may be lower than your peers who get A+ in every module, but it then comes down to work performance after your first year.

There are many what-ifs..."What if you don't do well in your job?" or "What if you dislike the organisation?"...these are risks which I have to live with and mitigate.

May I ask, what about Stanford do you like so much?

Essays change every year, to some extent (some years, it can be a phrasing of question, other years, it can be a total overhaul of the entire set of essay questions). Results are super important in making the first cut, no doubt. They look at your grades from Sec 3 FYI, but the grades get progressively important: Sec 4 << Promos << PRELIMS. Prelims are the most important.

Of course! US definitely looks at ECs, as long as we are talking top 100 US universities xD
I think the risk of interests changing in college and then being constrained by the bond is very real. I'm especially prone to that. but everyone is different and I wish you all the best with your college experience and career in that organisation I really want an overseas experience but at the same time, if I don't get a scholarship I don't get that experience. On the other hand, I've heard nothing but bad things about the learning environment in local universities like NUS. This is kinda linked to my interest in Stanford. It seems like a great place with the intellectual vitality. I believe the people there would have a genuine interest in learning and not just the blind pursuit of grades. Of course there would be many such people in other universities, but another thing about Stanford is that it's in California. I'm kind of interested in film and US education allows for students to declare their majors later so I get to figure out what I really want.

I have about a year to work my ass off and beef up my portfolio, maybe even consider taking a scholarship. but I've come to terms to the fact that my chances are probably close to zero haha ><
flyaway999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
a*star, applications, dsta, scholarships, teddynuts

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.