BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Scholarships Application Process
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #11
kemise89

kemise89 has a neutral reputation
Question

anyone has any clue what moe scholarship providers will ask? lol
kemise89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:41 AM   #12
alegria

alegria has a neutral reputation
Default Edb, A*star

EDB
I applied during the early cycle and it consists of 3 rounds:

1. Single interviewer interview
The interviewer would most likely be a director of deputy from one of the divisions and he/she will basically ask you questions about yourself, why you want to join etc. In general: the norm. As long as you speak coherently and logically, should be of no problem to get through.

2. Full day activities
This is used for all agencies under the Firefly umbrella except for ASTAR who has their own assessment centre. There were 3 activities - one team games, one individual presentation (which is about Asia economic progress: China and India) and one mass discussion (it was an simulation of a tripartite discussion). Quite fun I think, and get to hear from other prospective scholars.

3. Board interview (about 7-8 people, all senior members)
PLEASE BE PREPARED. I made the fatal mistake of not preparing and got zammed like shit. They will be very critical, cynical and sharp, so don't say anything that they can twist around and use it against you. E.g. don't compare organizations like 'I think ABC is better than DEF because...', always leave yourself a backdoor because what goes around comes around. Emphasize on your passion for this particular career, yes, but don't put down other career paths because they'll grill you like mad. Try to be more or less politically correct - those are senor members. And do know where you envision yourself to be in the long-term. Oh yes, and they can be very intimadating in terms of diction and expression and really put a lot of pressure on you. It is a very traumatic exprience, so please please do make sure you prepare for it. Adequately.

4. Results
I actually got my results within one 3 weeks from the first interview. They were very efficient for the early cycle. And to no surprises, was rejected. So for all other applicants, please learn from my bitter experience.

A*STAR
3 rounds as well, structure more or less like that of EDB except round 2 and 3 can undergo concurrently. I.e. it's not a pass round 2 before you can go round 3 thing, more like if you pass round 1, you'll get both round 2 and 3.

1. 3 academic interview
There are 3 itnerviewers and they will tend to questions you on your interests and the activities you've participated in. For example, I did a research project once so they asked me - quite technical stuff - about that. There was one of them who asked me what's the different between rt-PCR and conventional PCR. lol. But more or less alright, not too stressful and they're quite friendly.

2. Full day assessment centre
Consists of various personality tests and group discussions. Try to be creative and vocal about your ideas, cause the discussion is quite short so time is limited for you to try and make an impression. Otherwise it's really quite alright. I had my assessment AFTER round 3, so it's probably not that decisive about your results unless you're EXCEPTIONALLY good or bad.

3. Interview with board members
Again, 3-4 interviewers who are usually the senior management. They'll ask you trickier questions, like questioning your choices, your decisions, your passion. So it's really how you defend yourself. I actually argued vehemently with the chairman when he questioned me about my involvement in dance (my cca) and I remember thinking that I'm dead alr, confirm cannot get. But unexpectedly, I did get the offer after all. I think they want to see the passion and the drive you have as a person also, more than just giving textbook answers.

4. Results
Once again results are quite fast, with 1 month from the first interview. So I got my offer around mid march.
alegria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:16 PM   #13
AvlynCriss

AvlynCriss has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegria View Post
EDB

3. Board interview (about 7-8 people, all senior members)
PLEASE BE PREPARED. I made the fatal mistake of not preparing and got zammed like shit. They will be very critical, cynical and sharp, so don't say anything that they can twist around and use it against you. E.g. don't compare organizations like 'I think ABC is better than DEF because...', always leave yourself a backdoor because what goes around comes around. Emphasize on your passion for this particular career, yes, but don't put down other career paths because they'll grill you like mad. Try to be more or less politically correct - those are senor members. And do know where you envision yourself to be in the long-term. Oh yes, and they can be very intimadating in terms of diction and expression and really put a lot of pressure on you. It is a very traumatic exprience, so please please do make sure you prepare for it. Adequately.

3. Interview with board members
Again, 3-4 interviewers who are usually the senior management. They'll ask you trickier questions, like questioning your choices, your decisions, your passion. So it's really how you defend yourself. I actually argued vehemently with the chairman when he questioned me about my involvement in dance (my cca) and I remember thinking that I'm dead alr, confirm cannot get. But unexpectedly, I did get the offer after all. I think they want to see the passion and the drive you have as a person also, more than just giving textbook answers.
Like it was pointed out in both interviews - the final interview is always the dangerous one and the one everyone should be wary about. Interviewers will always be cynical, and act as if they don't want you there, and want to find loopholes in all your arguments. You have to be ready for criticism - those who can't stand it and break down...you won't get the scholarship.

Basically, for the last interview, you have to be sharp, and smart, and willing to stand up for your viewpoint - even undermine what the interviewer is saying if you can. Arguing with the chairman is fine if you've got logical points - in fact it can actually be the winning move.
AvlynCriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:29 AM   #14
elee

elee has a neutral reputation
Talking SGX First Round of Interview

Hey, how about we post hilarious anecdotes of our scholarship interview experiences? I came across some of them while blog-hopping and they're really fun to read! Let me start the ball rolling by narrating a, imo, very embarrassing interview that I've had and risk having people like YOU laughing at me. haha!

SGX Scholarship First Round of Interview:

Interviewer: What do you know about SGX?

Me: (unfortunately not a lot) but yadaa anyway..

Interviewer: How do you think SGX earns money?

Me: 0.o yadaa..

Interviewer: How do you think the Singapore economy is doing?

Me: (erpsss) yadaa..

Interviewer: How do you think the Singapore economy will do next year?

Me: (how i know!) -insert crap-

Interviewer: you have strong confidence in our economy eh?

Me: (embarrasseddd)

Interviewer: You do know the Fed is cutting interest rates. Do you think it's better for US to undergo an inflation or depression?

Me: 0.0 (omg let me leave...) -insert more crap, can't even remembered what i said-

Interviewer: Do you think it's a wise choice for Singaporean investors to invest in the US now amidst the subprime mortgage crisis?

Me: (omg just kill me..) -insert rubbish-

it was soo embarrassing! for not being prepared and for appearing like an idiot in front of the interviewer.

hey can't blame me i'm not into the finance industry! i was there for the interview for some.. reason that cannot be disclosed well, at least it made me drop the idea of studying economics entirely.
elee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #15
AvlynCriss

AvlynCriss has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by elee View Post
Hey, how about we post hilarious anecdotes of our scholarship interview experiences? I came across some of them while blog-hopping and they're really fun to read! Let me start the ball rolling by narrating a, imo, very embarrassing interview that I've had and risk having people like YOU laughing at me. haha!

SGX Scholarship First Round of Interview:

Interviewer: What do you know about SGX?

Me: (unfortunately not a lot) but yadaa anyway..

Interviewer: How do you think SGX earns money?

Me: 0.o yadaa..

Interviewer: How do you think the Singapore economy is doing?

Me: (erpsss) yadaa..

Interviewer: How do you think the Singapore economy will do next year?

Me: (how i know!) -insert crap-

Interviewer: you have strong confidence in our economy eh?

Me: (embarrasseddd)

Interviewer: You do know the Fed is cutting interest rates. Do you think it's better for US to undergo an inflation or depression?

Me: 0.0 (omg let me leave...) -insert more crap, can't even remembered what i said-

Interviewer: Do you think it's a wise choice for Singaporean investors to invest in the US now amidst the subprime mortgage crisis?

Me: (omg just kill me..) -insert rubbish-

it was soo embarrassing! for not being prepared and for appearing like an idiot in front of the interviewer.

hey can't blame me i'm not into the finance industry! i was there for the interview for some.. reason that cannot be disclosed well, at least it made me drop the idea of studying economics entirely.
Well...it's the SGX...and the questions were, I'm not putting you down or anything, rather general and based on very current and relevant issues that should be known especially in the finance industry.

For people who want to work in the finance industry, read up on the sub prime mortgage crisis - how the hell did it happen? (clue: check up on collateralised debt obligations) and how did it lead to a credit crunch, what is it's effects on the economy? and on singapore? and what do our esteemed leaders say abt them?

Other issues that should be read up on are inflation, the housing market in S'pore, Europe etc., the oil market, food market (most recently, Myanmar's Irrawaddy Delta), rising economies like brazil and russia...you don't have to go too much into details but it would be useful to be aware of issues happening.
AvlynCriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #16
elee

elee has a neutral reputation
Default Nanyang Scholarship Interview

Ouch. haha, so people, it's important to know a lot about the industry that you are planning to go into. actually, if you genuinely have the passion and sincerely wish to go into the industry, you should more or less have read about issues regarding the industry all the while so it shouldn't be much of a prob. also, i think it's important to be prepared for any interview. at the very least, psyche yourself up. make sure that you are clear-headed during the interview so that you are capable of analysing questions that were thrown to you and able to give sensible and insightful answers on the spot.

i'll share about my nanyang scholarship interview process here. i havent been to many bonded scholarships' interview so i cant really make a fair comparison, but i think that it's slightly easier to ace university scholarship interviews because they just want to know you better. there's only a round of interview. just be yourself and be prepared to share your past CCAs and experiences.

i had my nanyang scholarship interview on the 29th April. there were 3 interviewers sitted on the other side of the rather large table, but it wasn't too stressful, there werent many questions posted to me, and they weren't very difficult.

in my case, i got into communication studies, and one of the interviewers was the CS prof, so he asked me what i intend to major in. other questions that were asked include what qualities i think i have that will put me in good stead for my choice of study (sth like that), the most difficult period in my life, and tell them about a CCA that i'm most proud of. that's all. very short and sweet. i think it only lasted for around 20 minutes or so. & think of questions to ask. good time to clear your doubts.
elee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:38 PM   #17
xiao_long85

xiao_long85 has a neutral reputation
Default Presentation for Interview

Hi,

Anyone ever done presentation for interview?
I am going for Keppel final round of interview which required to do a 10min presentation.

But no info is give till the actual day.
I only heard tat only 30mins is given to prepare the slides.
Hence I wonder wat can i prepare and wat are the likely topics?????

xiao_long85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:14 PM   #18
anneimated

anneimated has a neutral reputation

NUS GMS scholarship
1 why chem engin?

2 i see you have applied for chem engin, accountancy and architecture. why are they so diverse?
-crap about practicality, family influence blah-

3 i see that u design websites. what do u think of our website?
-honestly i nv really looked at their site, not critically at least-

4 do u think a print campaign or online campaign would work better in reaching out to youths like you?
-crap more-
lasted 10 min. but i got through.
NUS GMS 2nd round

1 what other universities have u got into?
2 why chem engin? what in the syllabus do you like?
3 how inclined are you to have a local education
dont rmb the rest

for PUB it was an assesment centre but the final interview was quite fun. the interviewers were very nice and wasn't grilling at all. more of discussing my institution options and the website questions again

- what do u think of our website?
- hmmm... very government *flash big smile*-

- how would you improve it?
"less white, more pictures, neater links etc etc." this time, i scrutinzed their site before going for interview. somehow interviewers like to ask me that qn so dont bother if you dont do websites
anneimated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:24 PM   #19
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by anneimated View Post
NUS GMS scholarship
"less white, more pictures, neater links etc etc." this time, i scrutinzed their site before going for interview. somehow interviewers like to ask me that qn so dont bother if you dont do websites
LOL hahaha
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:21 AM   #20
kemise89

kemise89 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by anneimated View Post
NUS GMS scholarship
1 why chem engin?

2 i see you have applied for chem engin, accountancy and architecture. why are they so diverse?
-crap about practicality, family influence blah-

3 i see that u design websites. what do u think of our website?
-honestly i nv really looked at their site, not critically at least-

4 do u think a print campaign or online campaign would work better in reaching out to youths like you?
-crap more-
lasted 10 min. but i got through.
NUS GMS 2nd round

1 what other universities have u got into?
2 why chem engin? what in the syllabus do you like?
3 how inclined are you to have a local education
dont rmb the rest

for PUB it was an assesment centre but the final interview was quite fun. the interviewers were very nice and wasn't grilling at all. more of discussing my institution options and the website questions again

- what do u think of our website?
- hmmm... very government *flash big smile*-

- how would you improve it?
imagine if they give you the scholarship so that in future you can be their web designer!
kemise89 is offline   Reply With Quote