BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Scholarships Application Process
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
someone

someone has a neutral reputation
Default Should I apply for a scholarship? What scholarship to choose?

Hi guys, I was just wondering how do one choose what scholarship to apply for?

Bond-free or huge lump sum, the level of prestige or other incentives, or what internship and/or career opportunities?

In anyway, whenever there is a bond length, what kind of job do one have in the scholarship provider's firm? Or what kind of career do one get from the scholarship provider? Are you able to make the career choices? Or is it definitely a career that is specifically related to your University course?

Appreciate everyone's help and contribution. Thanks!
someone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
AvlynCriss

AvlynCriss has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone View Post

Bond-free or huge lump sum, the level of prestige or other incentives, or what internship and/or career opportunities?

In anyway, whenever there is a bond length, what kind of job do one have in the scholarship provider's firm? Or what kind of career do one get from the scholarship provider? Are you able to make the career choices? Or is it definitely a career that is specifically related to your University course?

You have probably asked THE most loaded and difficult question.

You just have to think and figure out what does a scholarship mean to you? (A career path? money? an opportunity?) and build on from there. Does bond-free matter that much to you? Does prestige really matter to you? You've got to answer these questions for yourself.

How you serve your bond is up to how the scholarship provider treats their scholars. Most of the time there is this fast track/management program, but how it works depends on how the provider operates.

"A career that is specifically related to your University courses" - if you do become a scholar, what you first realize is that university degrees are just foundation stones. Even though you studied economics, they expect you to be able to have some ability is say public relations. They might stick you in there too. So, no, your career definitely does not have to be related to your courses.
AvlynCriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #3
yanshuo

yanshuo has a neutral reputation
Default Should I apply for a scholarship?

Quote:
The article is written by Soon Sze Meng and Vaughn Tan

Many qualified A-level holders will be considering both local and overseas scholarships to pay for their tertiary education. Having spoken to many friends who are scholars 3-5 years out from graduating from college, we wanted to share some insights they've given me about how their scholarships have either made them happy or want to break their bonds, as well as some suggestions for those considering scholarships. This is not intended to advocated either for or against scholarships -- that decision is highly personal. We do want to urge students considering scholarships to recognize is that there are many components to making a well-informed decision about scholarships that may not be immediately apparent to them.
Read more: http://www.singaporeangle.com/2007/0..._out_if_t.html
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.

Say hi to us here!
yanshuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
teo_jh

teo_jh has a neutral reputation
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone View Post

well, this is indeed a difficult qn to answer. I think it really depends on what you want. freedom of deciding where you can work in future or do you already know roughly which organisation you would like to work for in future plus job security.

Speaking from personal experience, I think huge lump sums for scholarships do not usually fully cover studying expenses and a significant amount will have to come from your parents. Prestige is really not something you would want to base your choice upon, an organisation may be highly rated but if you are not keen on the job there then I think there is really no point. But I will really encourage doing an internship. It will help in your assessment on the kind of work you might be exposed to when you work there in future.

And with regards to the last qn, whether or not you will be doing something related to your course of study depends on the scholarship provider. For example if you were to take ASTAR, MOE, DSTA then it probably will be related, but for others like SPF, PSC then it might not be.

Hope that helps! and all the best for your scholarship application.
teo_jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
someone

Thanks for your replies!

Looks like there are much more to contemplate about.. Yup I'd certainly agree for many of the points you guys have replied and I think I'm now less blur of my situation. In anyway I'm also not sure whether my results are good enough for a scholarship!
Old 03-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
profzhu

profzhu has a neutral reputation

i agree with teo jh. for most scholarships, the more important thing they want from you is the way you think, the way you tackle problems, lead teams.

if you can afford the fees for studies, then u should consider more on career path. if you need the money, then i guess monetary incentives play a bigger part.

however, prestige shouldn't play too much a part in deiciding whether to take up a scholarship. u can be a safos scholar and end up hating it, like my platoon commander in ocs did.

and yes u are old enough to make a choice on your career path. it doesnt have to be specific. for example, if you are more science/tech inclined, can try astar/dsta. more public service incline then saf,spf,psc. more econs/finance/investment then can have a shot at edb,mas,gic. they are good starting points for you to gain experience and connnections if you decide to venture out all by yourself in the future.

bond free scholarships/financial aids (note that they are different) are hard to find and heavily competed for. and most of them are not really HUGE. most covers tutorial and max dormatry. only the most prestigious ones give u extra money on top of that. both nus and smu actually do offer that. they'll give it to u if they feel that u are so good an addition to the school environment that its an must to have you =p

the requirements for the top nus scholarship, bond free (at least for my batch which is 06) are, 4As, gp A, pw A, 2 s papers/h3. outstanding cca and leadership performance and records. they give u a lump sum of money, tutorial fees, free boarding for entire course of study, free books, laptop allowance, free overseas exchange, blah blah blah..... basically like any top overeas scholarships.

with regards to serving bonds. for most providers, they are grooming you to be management lvl employee. here are some examples i know.

SAF-you will serve a platoon commander tour for a year plus, go for staff/instructor tour for a year plus, go for officer commanding tour. and finish your bond at the rank of major (1 crab). for some, u start from the basics, move around different departments to know what is going on, then rise up to management. for others, u start with a team, lead the team and rise according to abilities.

for gic and edb they are a bit different. u can do pretty much anything u want. come back, u'll be given tasks related to what you have learnt. i talked to one of the gic recruitment guys he said that if u study engine, u will be handling investment for engineering firms, if u do medicine, investment in pharmacy firms etc etc.

the list goes on and on. hope this is of help =)
profzhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:18 AM   #7
someone

That was definitely of much help! Thanks a lot!

It seems to me that now I just have to be extremely sure of what I want and what University course I want to apply and get enrolled in, before well, making any scholarship applications? Or might that be just a little too late? Because I am awaiting for this weekend's NUS and NTU Open Houses - which hopefully will give me a clearer picture of the University courses, scholarships, admissions etc.

Anyway my results are only AAB, so is it still possible for me to have any scholarships?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #8
profzhu

profzhu has a neutral reputation

AAB should be enough for a local scholarship. and well interview is pretty important
profzhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:53 AM   #9
someone

Thanks for that note.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
cannedbeans44

cannedbeans44 has a neutral reputation

is an AAB and an A in GP and H1 enough for an overseas scholarship?
cannedbeans44 is offline   Reply With Quote