BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Scholarships Application Process
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
LockT31W
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 813
LockT31W has a neutral reputation
Default

Optional: For those of you who got scholarship/university offers and want to help your juniors gauge their own chances in the future, you might want to copy and fill out this format for their easy reference:

[B]Scholarship awarded (if applicable):[*/B]
[B]University and Course:[*/B]
[B]Date and method of notification(s) of award:[*/B]
[B]School:[*/B]
[B]A-level/Polytechnic grades:[*/B]
[B]CCAs and CIP (include leadership positions and achievements i.e. olympiads):[*/B]
[B]Awards (i.e. MOE Pre-University Scholarship, NYAA):[*/B]

[B]Date of shortlisting and interview:[*/B]
[B]How did your interview go?:[*/B]
[B]Why do you think you were successful?[*/B]
[B]Any advice/comments:[*/B]

remember to remove the asterisks (*) before posting. you can copy this format and fill it out for your post. feel free to add in other information that you think might help. but remember, its entirely optional!

Last edited by LockT31W; 05-15-2008 at 07:33 PM. Reason: whoops i think i may have put many people off posting here by asking for too much info. :P
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
LockT31W
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 813
LockT31W has a neutral reputation
Default

for example:

Scholarship awarded (if applicable): President's cum SAF Overseas cum SPF Overseas cum Overseas Merit Scholarship
University and Course: Yaleford and Harbridge universities, law, engineering and medicine
Date and method of notification(s) of award: On the day that I was born. they came to KK hospital and handed it to me on a silver platter.
School: Waffles Junior Institution (Independent)
A-level/Polytechnic grades: AAAAAA (H2s Maths Econs Bio Physics Chem) and AAAAAAAB (H3s) A (GP)
CCAs and CIP (include leadership positions and achievements i.e. olympiads): President cum Vice-President of Student's Council, Captain of Track and Field, Represented Singapore Schools in various regional competitions, Olympic medallist for 100m and 200m sprints, Gold medallist in International Physics, Bio and Math Olympiads; first Singaporean astronaut to land on the moon
Awards (i.e. MOE Pre-University Scholarship, NYAA): NYAA Lifetime Platinum Award, MOE LKY All-round Excellence Award (Pri 6), Living Demigod Award

Date of shortlisting and interview: 1 Jan 1990 (both shortlisting and interview)
How did your interview go?: i was still learning to talk. but it went well! I charmed the socks off the interview panel - they were hanging onto my every baby gibberish and cried when I gave them a big baby smile. nobody wanted me to leave - the board director was begging me on his knees to take his job.
Why do you think you were successful? did well at the interview - don't be discouraged even if you've just learned how to talk! and well, I became a demigod, so yeah.
Any advice/comments: if you're taking this seriously, you probably shouldn't be applying for anything
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
kemise89
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 300
kemise89 has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockT31W View Post
for example:

Scholarship awarded (if applicable): President's cum SAF Overseas cum SPF Overseas cum Overseas Merit Scholarship
University and Course: Yaleford and Harbridge universities, law, engineering and medicine
Date and method of notification(s) of award: On the day that I was born. they came to KK hospital and handed it to me on a silver platter.
School: Waffles Junior Institution (Independent)
A-level/Polytechnic grades: AAAAAA (H2s Maths Econs Bio Physics Chem) and AAAAAAAB (H3s) A (GP)
CCAs and CIP (include leadership positions and achievements i.e. olympiads): President cum Vice-President of Student's Council, Captain of Track and Field, Represented Singapore Schools in various regional competitions, Olympic medallist for 100m and 200m sprints, Gold medallist in International Physics, Bio and Math Olympiads; first Singaporean astronaut to land on the moon
Awards (i.e. MOE Pre-University Scholarship, NYAA): NYAA Lifetime Platinum Award, MOE LKY All-round Excellence Award (Pri 6), Living Demigod Award

Date of shortlisting and interview: 1 Jan 1990 (both shortlisting and interview)
How did your interview go?: i was still learning to talk. but it went well! I charmed the socks off the interview panel - they were hanging onto my every baby gibberish and cried when I gave them a big baby smile. nobody wanted me to leave - the board director was begging me on his knees to take his job.
Why do you think you were successful? did well at the interview - don't be discouraged even if you've just learned how to talk! and well, I became a demigod, so yeah.
Any advice/comments: if you're taking this seriously, you probably shouldn't be applying for anything
Gosh that was hilarious
kemise89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
AvlynCriss
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 96
AvlynCriss has a neutral reputation
Default

Scholarship awarded (if applicable): Local-Overseas Merit ScholarshipUniversity and Course: SMU/NUS - Finance and Economics
Notification(s) of award: 13.05.2008, Call then letter
School: TJC
A-levelgrades: ABAA AA (H2s Maths Econs Physics Chem, Malay, GP)
CCAs and CIP : Library, Guitar
Awards: Anugerah Mendaki, Chua Kee Teang Scholarship Award
Date of shortlisting and interview: 1 April, Interview 9th May
How did your interview go?: Scary, they asked me a lot of questions about policies, and conflicts. It turned out to be a pretty long interview.
Why do you think you were successful? Mostly due to my interview because my CCA involvement isn't spectacular.
Any advice/comments: Believe in yourself, and stand your ground. Once you get to the interview, results matter very little. It's how you carry yourself.
AvlynCriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #5
kemise89
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 300
kemise89 has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvlynCriss View Post
Scholarship awarded (if applicable): Local-Overseas Merit ScholarshipUniversity and Course: SMU/NUS - Finance and Economics
Notification(s) of award: 13.05.2008, Call then letter
School: TJC
A-levelgrades: ABAA AA (H2s Maths Econs Physics Chem, Malay, GP)
CCAs and CIP : Library, Guitar
Awards: Anugerah Mendaki, Chua Kee Teang Scholarship Award
Date of shortlisting and interview: 1 April, Interview 9th May
How did your interview go?: Scary, they asked me a lot of questions about policies, and conflicts. It turned out to be a pretty long interview.
Why do you think you were successful? Mostly due to my interview because my CCA involvement isn't spectacular.
Any advice/comments: Believe in yourself, and stand your ground. Once you get to the interview, results matter very little. It's how you carry yourself.

Congrats~~!!
Interview is a VERY grilling and scary process
kemise89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
LockT31W
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 813
LockT31W has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvlynCriss View Post
Scholarship awarded (if applicable): Local-Overseas Merit ScholarshipUniversity and Course: SMU/NUS - Finance and Economics
Notification(s) of award: 13.05.2008, Call then letter
School: TJC
A-levelgrades: ABAA AA (H2s Maths Econs Physics Chem, Malay, GP)
CCAs and CIP : Library, Guitar
Awards: Anugerah Mendaki, Chua Kee Teang Scholarship Award
Date of shortlisting and interview: 1 April, Interview 9th May
How did your interview go?: Scary, they asked me a lot of questions about policies, and conflicts. It turned out to be a pretty long interview.
Why do you think you were successful? Mostly due to my interview because my CCA involvement isn't spectacular.
Any advice/comments: Believe in yourself, and stand your ground. Once you get to the interview, results matter very little. It's how you carry yourself.
Congrats! Whether or not you're Malay, your taking Malay language may have also helped, considering PSC's never-ending quest for scholars well-versed in minority/foreign languages. do you have leadership positions in your CCAs too? I personally don't know a PSC scholar who wasn't a leader in some way, but there's no rule about that of course.
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
AvlynCriss
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 96
AvlynCriss has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockT31W View Post
Congrats! Whether or not you're Malay, your taking Malay language may have also helped, considering PSC's never-ending quest for scholars well-versed in minority/foreign languages. do you have leadership positions in your CCAs too? I personally don't know a PSC scholar who wasn't a leader in some way, but there's no rule about that of course.
I don't hold high positions in my CCAs. In Library, I was part of the editorial team and held a position of a writer. Besides that, I was an ordinary member. I did involve myself in a few things during my sec school like school presentations, anniversary, and such, but not leadership positions.

Same goes to my jc cca. I joined guitar but did not run for a leadership position. I managed to get a solo part for the SYF competition, though. Most of the leadership positions I held are in class, and in class projects. I didn't think my track record was good enough, but I think my interview changed my fate.
AvlynCriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:29 PM   #8
AvlynCriss
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 96
AvlynCriss has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemise89 View Post
Congrats~~!!
Interview is a VERY grilling and scary process
Thank you!

Yes, it was scary, they asked me a lot of questions about a lot of rather difficult topics like racial harmony, meritocracy, and stuff. The whole time I was thinking, 'Why is this damn interview taking so long?' Then they asked me if I wanted to join politics, and I was like...okay...right...
AvlynCriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:27 PM   #9
neil
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 14
neil has a neutral reputation
Default

Scholarship awarded (if applicable): NUS ASEAN undergraduate scholarship
University and Course: NUS business school
Date and method of notification(s) of award: 18 May, via post
School: NJC
A-level/Polytechnic grades: AAAAA B Merit (H2 Math, H2 Physics, H2 Chem, H1 Econs, GP, PW, H3 research)
CCAs and CIP (include leadership positions and achievements i.e. olympiads): Gavel Club (Vice President) and Indian Dance (SYF Gold with Honours and Special Mention)
Awards (i.e. MOE Pre-University Scholarship, NYAA): ASEAN scholarship for 4 years

Date of shortlisting and interview: No interview
How did your interview go?:
Why do you think you were successful? I think they award the scholarship purely based on the A level grades.
Any advice/comments:
neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:53 AM   #10
Imposing
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 20
Imposing has a neutral reputation
Default

Scholarship awarded (if applicable): Oracle Corp
Date and method of notification(s) of award: by Handphone
School: St' Andrew's JC
A-level/Polytechnic grades: AAAB (Physics, C maths, Econs, Chemistry---i'm old sch) Dist and merit (maths and physics s-paper)
CCAs and CIP (include leadership positions and achievements i.e. olympiads): NCC (staff sergeant-- only one in company to have been promoted), ODAC (quartermaster and exco), Engineer officer in army, Project work group leader, exco of army social night and commissioning ball, soon-to-be Assistant team leader for volunteer group)
Awards (i.e. MOE Pre-University Scholarship, NYAA): All those useless little insignificant awards.
Date of shortlisting and interview: sometime in May
How did your interview go?: I was stammering, it was the worst damn interview. Seriously. you shld see how disappointed i was after the interview. I was so shock that when IDA called me up to inform me, i was totally shock that Oracle offered me the interview.. i thought it was singtel
Why do you think you were successful? I guess my leadership potential. I may not have a lot of it, but it seems to be the only thing that they could remotely even want of me.
Remarks I hope they didnt call up the wrong person. If not i'm goin to lodge a huge complaint........
Imposing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 05:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.