BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Scholarships Application Process
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:09 AM   #21
thatlittlebling

thatlittlebling has a neutral reputation
Default Is it possible to be awarded 2 scholarships? must you decide now?

Hello Teddy,

thanks for sharing all the advice and congrats on your illustrious achievements ! and of course congrats to being awarded 2 prestigious scholarships.

I see that you're awarded 2 scholarships already. However, you are also applying to other scholarships, so may I know if it is possible to still apply to other scholarships even though you have been awarded 2?

Is it because you have yet to accept dsta's and a star's offer?

Thank you and jia you for the last few papers for As
thatlittlebling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:18 AM   #22
thatlittlebling

Default Oh and seeking advice ! :)

Oh oh! and may I seek advice on "chitchat" (obviously it wont be a casual chitchat) sessions with senior management as part of a scholarship application process?

What are the things to look out for and any advice in general?

thank you!!
Old 11-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #23
teddynuts

teddynuts has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatlittlebling View Post
Oh oh! and may I seek advice on "chitchat" (obviously it wont be a casual chitchat) sessions with senior management as part of a scholarship application process?

What are the things to look out for and any advice in general?

thank you!!
For chit chat sessions, they are slightly less formal than formal interviews (evidently) but as you said, they aren't just casual chit chat sessions. Maintain proper decorum, and try to speak up with the senior management. grab opportunities to share with them who you are, what you are good at, why you want the scholarship, in a non offensive and desperate way. You can try doing this at home--try to share about yourself and your passions, whilst subtly implying that you are suited for the scholarship. I think you will leave a lasting impression, which will come in useful for the final interview, if it is not over yet. How subtle or direct your sharing is will be subjective, but do try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatlittlebling View Post
Hello Teddy,

thanks for sharing all the advice and congrats on your illustrious achievements ! and of course congrats to being awarded 2 prestigious scholarships.

I see that you're awarded 2 scholarships already. However, you are also applying to other scholarships, so may I know if it is possible to still apply to other scholarships even though you have been awarded 2?

Is it because you have yet to accept dsta's and a star's offer?

Thank you and jia you for the last few papers for As
Thank you very much for your compliments! Yes, it is still possible to apply to other scholarship even when you have been offered 2, and yes, I have yet to accept DSTA and A*STAR's offer so that is why I can apply to others
Old 11-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #24
thatlittlebling

Default Thank you for your help!

Hello!

Thank you for your help!
I believe the advice that you shared will be very useful to all the other forum users

Thanks once again and jia you for the last stretch!
Old 11-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #25
louis7788

louis7788 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddynuts View Post
Hey! Thanks! For Warwick, I think this answers your question: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/unde...funding/costs/

Generally, don't worry so much about course. Apply for the top few choices, then after you get in, then worry about costs Focus on the UCAS Essay!!
Hihi,

Thanks for the help! I contacted warwick but it seems like i might have a harder time to get in as my diploma isnt as heavy on stuff like mathematics which is what they are looking for! Still deciding if i should just try and apply!

Good luck for your As yeah!
louis7788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #26
teddynuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis7788 View Post
Hihi,

Thanks for the help! I contacted warwick but it seems like i might have a harder time to get in as my diploma isnt as heavy on stuff like mathematics which is what they are looking for! Still deciding if i should just try and apply!

Good luck for your As yeah!
Just go ahead and apply You do your best, no regrets...two things you can and should do: firstly, talk to your teacher who will write your reference. Prepare your resume and list of qualities (with evidence) that will help you for the course. Secondly, work on your essay These two can outweigh your diploma if done properly. Your teacher's reference is perhaps, more important.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #27
Isabella

Isabella has a neutral reputation

Congrats on your scholarship offers! I am sure that you will be receiving more offers!! All the best for As!
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:21 PM   #28
teddynuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Congrats on your scholarship offers! I am sure that you will be receiving more offers!! All the best for As!
Thanks! You too!
Old 11-18-2011, 10:30 PM   #29
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
hi guys,

would just like to share my sincere advice to people who intend to apply for the A*STAR or DSTA scholarships.

for A*STAR, it is excessively glorified with statements like "our scholarship is worth $1million dollars, you are a millionaire!!!". but there are many many scholars who end up breaking their bond, because it requires you to take a PhD, which means studying till you're 30 years old when others would have earned much more than you. also it awards ~70-100 scholarships a year, so don't expect to be anything much more than a normal dude in that organization.

for DSTA, the jobscope is Defence Science. Its often not what J2s expect to do when they graduate from university. also it awards ~60-80 scholarships a year, for a relatively small and specialized organization.

so before you make a decision, pls consider these factors carefully.
Do you have any alternative or solutions? Or all you have to offer here are statements about why people should not be taking up these 2 scholarships?

What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #30
PureFitness

PureFitness has a neutral reputation

- There are many scholars from other orgs who break their bonds too. The % of bond breakers in DSTA/A*STAR isn't any higher than the other orgs.

- There are people who are truly interested to study until 30 and do a PhD, I don't see anything wrong with that. Besides, if you're going to be working until ~50/60 years old, a few more years in school really wouldn't do much harm.

- There are many people out there whose lives are not driven solely by money and trying to out-earn your friends. If money is your sole motivation in life, then I agree that you might be better of working somewhere else.

- There are many past scholars who have risen to be more than a "normal dude in that organization" (and then there are those who don't mind being a "normal dude", again, nothing wrong with that, I won't pass judgements).

- There are people who are truly interested in defence science and know that even at J2 level.
PureFitness is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a*star, applications, dsta, scholarships, teddynuts