BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > SUTD
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
justin93633

justin93633 has a neutral reputation
Wink Care to share about SUTD Year 1?

Hi, just want to know more about how year 1 in SUTD's like.
Are there GPA requirements in year one and if there is how much is it?
How are students being assessed in SUTD for the different modules? Tests (like JC style?) or other modes of assessment?
What are some of the hands-on sessions like?
How is school life as well?
(I shouldn't be asking this lol but well): Do you find it easy or hard to get through the first year? And if so, why?

Also, are there anything else that anyone would like to share other than the curriculum?

Looking forward to your reply! Deadline for acceptance of offer is 2nd June. @[email protected]

Last edited by justin93633; 05-22-2013 at 09:22 AM.
justin93633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
pokkaGT

pokkaGT has a neutral reputation

1. Are there GPA requirements in year one and if there is how much is it?
> Yes but first term modules will not be counted into GPA. The biology module in the 3rd term will also not be counted into GPA. The rest are counted into GPA.

2. How are students being assessed in SUTD for the different modules? Tests (like JC style?) or other modes of assessment?
> What is JC style? If you mean theory, it is just like any other university and has high expectation of theoretical knowledge. There are other modes of assessment like homework, class participation, projects... Numerically, the percentage of theory that has impact on GPA is similar to other universities.

3. What are some of the hands-on sessions like?
> Definitely different from other universities.

4. How is school life as well?
> Small community. Almost everyone has one other commitment beyond academic work. The university just started so things are still changing!

5.(I shouldn't be asking this lol but well): Do you find it easy or hard to get through the first year? And if so, why?
> Statistically speaking, no. Honestly speaking, it is up to individual. There are students who never took science subjects scoring well for Physics, Chemistry, Biology.

6. Also, are there anything else that anyone would like to share other than the curriculum?
The profs are great

Disclaimer: I am NOT studying at SUTD! But I do have many friends studying there.

Last edited by pokkaGT; 05-22-2013 at 11:50 AM.
pokkaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
justin93633

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkaGT View Post
> Yes but first term modules will not be counted into GPA. The biology module in the 3rd term will also not be counted into GPA. The rest are counted into GPA.
Hi, thanks for sharing!
But may I know what are the first term modules?
Consequently, when choosing your desired pillar does the school look at your GPA as one of the factors as well?
Old 05-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
pokkaGT

OMG! I just realized a missing word in my previous post! I am NOT studying at SUTD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin93633 View Post
Hi, thanks for sharing!
But may I know what are the first term modules?
Consequently, when choosing your desired pillar does the school look at your GPA as one of the factors as well?
You might want to look at these:
http://www.sutd.edu.sg/curriculum.aspx
http://www.sutd.edu.sg/curriculum_su...criptions.aspx

As for choosing the pillars, I don't think the information is released. The school says they try to accomodate all to their desired pillars. I will ask my friends later.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
justin93633

One last question, what happens if you fail a module? And are there "preventive measures" to help the student to prevent him from failing again?

Last edited by justin93633; 05-24-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
pokkaGT

Hmmm... Do you have friends in there?

Anyway, I assume you are referring to failing the same module. I got an impression that failing is quite common. (I may be wrong or things may change after a few years.) There are measures such as "boot camp" that require students to come back during the holidays.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
Aresden

Aresden has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkaGT View Post

2. How are students being assessed in SUTD for the different modules? Tests (like JC style?) or other modes of assessment?
> What is JC style? If you mean theory, it is just like any other university and has high expectation of theoretical knowledge. There are other modes of assessment like homework, class participation, projects... Numerically, the percentage of theory that has impact on GPA is similar to other universities.

3. What are some of the hands-on sessions like?
> Definitely different from other universities.

4. How is school life as well?
> Small community. Almost everyone has one other commitment beyond academic work. The university just started so things are still changing!

5.(I shouldn't be asking this lol but well): Do you find it easy or hard to get through the first year? And if so, why?
> Statistically speaking, no. Honestly speaking, it is up to individual. There are students who never took science subjects scoring well for Physics, Chemistry, Biology.

6. Also, are there anything else that anyone would like to share other than the curriculum?
The profs are great

Disclaimer: I am NOT studying at SUTD! But I do have many friends studying there.
Thank you so much for all your answers pokkaGT, I find it weird that real SUTDents aren't helping to answer. Gotta need more of them to shed some light into life on it, afterall this is a fairly new tertiary. Mods hear this!!

Out of my suspicions and curious nature, roughly how many friends do u have studying in SUTD?
U seem to know alot, mayb even more than students themselves. I can feel from the way u wrote that u found/feel it challenging to get thru 1st year.
Really looking forward to your response, private message might work too

Best regards,
SUTD-wanna-be poly student
Aresden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
experiences, freshmore, sutd, year