BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Scholarships Application Process
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #31
[wy~*]

[wy~*] has a neutral reputation
Default NUS Law Faculty Scholarship

Quote:
Originally Posted by king View Post
I've just received NUS's faculty scholarship for Law through mail today(31 May 2008).

the offer is too late though, I've already accepted the OCBC scholarship.

for those who applied for NUS's law scholarship, rmb to check yr mailbox. the offer letter for mine is dated 28 May 2008.

Were you shortlisted for the NUS GMS interview before being awarded the Faculty Scholarship?
[wy~*] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:25 PM   #32
rollroll

rollroll has a neutral reputation
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by anneimated View Post
[b]Scholarship awarded (if applicable):PUB, NUS undergraduate merit [Exxon interview in a week]
[b]University and Course:NUS (accountancy and chem engin dd), imperial (chem engin)
[b]Date and method of notification(s) of award: mail.
[b]School:hwa chong
[b]A-level/Polytechnic grades:AAAAA merit pass (H2 chem physics maths H1 Econs, GP H3 SRP, pharma chem)
[b]CCAs and CIP (include leadership positions and achievements i.e. olympiads):Taekwondo, faculty committee. lousy CIP. public relations officer, publicity I/C
[b]Awards (i.e. MOE Pre-University Scholarship, NYAA): NYAA bronze

[b]Date of shortlisting and interview:for NUS it started in april or early may. PUB in May
[b]How did your interview go?:I thought i was quite screwed up for the NUS 2nd round because i answered I would pray to god when they asked me how i would consider my choices. and they said it wasn't the wisest idea. so dont learn from that. Just be yourself, there is no need to be too serious, be honest and don't conform yourself to typical answers but be polite.
[b]Why do you think you were successful? hmmmm... i have no idea.
[b]Any advice/comments:well, the interviewers have seen your CV and they already like it so just be yourself. dress well, be polite, add a bit of humour, give feedback about the organization.... i dont know. be yourself =)
Congrats!!! So is your PUB scholarship 4 local or overseas?
rollroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:12 PM   #33
xanz

xanz has a neutral reputation

Scholarship: PSC Overseas Merit Scholarship (Open)
University and Course: USA (any university of choice), Psychology
Date and method of notification(s) of award: Before A level results. By phone call followed by letter.
School: RJC
A-level/Polytechnic grades: AAAAA Dist (H2 BCME, H3 Bio)
CCAs and CIP (include leadership positions and achievements i.e. olympiads): ODAC exco, GB exco, prefect, house comm, alot of various CIP
Awards (i.e. MOE Pre-University Scholarship, NYAA): school leadership awards (various), community service award

Date of shortlisting and interview: I submitted the form by mid-Dec, was shortlisted in Jan, and my psychological assessment took place before CNY, while my interview took place just after CNY.
How did your interview go?: Huge panel of about 15 or so people. They asked less personal questions (which had been covered in an earlier psychological assessment) and more on current affairs. I felt that I managed to convince them how much I wanted the scholarship. However, I read up only on local current affairs, and knew nothing about ASEAN news, which was slightly embarrassing.
The psychological assessment was conducted with a psychologist and is stated to last 4 hours (mine lasted about 2.5hours). It's was really relaxing and friendly as the psychologist just wanted to get to know you more.
Why do you think you were successful? I spoked confidently and showed an eagerness for the scholarship. I also showed maturity and was very sure of what I want.
Any advice/comments: They can't expect you to know every single current affair there is around. Make sure you do read up beforehand on current affairs, but if you have no idea about their question, just say that you don't know and keep smiling. There's nothing wrong with not knowing. Confidence and yet humility is key.

Last edited by xanz; 06-04-2008 at 02:15 PM.
xanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:18 PM   #34
king

king has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by [wy~*] View Post
Were you shortlisted for the NUS GMS interview before being awarded the Faculty Scholarship?
I was not shortlisted for GMS or the undergraduate merit at all
king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:32 PM   #35
monsterkiller

monsterkiller has a neutral reputation

Scholarship awarded (if applicable): SMU scholarship

University and Course: SMU biz/econs

Date and method of notification(s) of award: 23 May, email only

A-level/Polytechnic grades: AAAB A1 Spaper-Merit (Old A levels syllabus: Math, chem, phy, econs)

CCAs and CIP (include leadership positions and achievements i.e. olympiads): House Comm, Scouts Exco, Volleyball sch team, OGL, more than 200 hrs of CIP, Army Officer

Awards (i.e. MOE Pre-University Scholarship, NYAA): hardly any, except cca awards

Date of shortlisting and interview: late april. It was a combined interview for both the faculty admission and scholarship

How did your interview go?: Not Excellent, I thought i could have done better in terms of convincing them tt i would commit myself to sch activities. The interviewers were very interested in my cca involvement and what kind of activities i would take part in SMU. It was also a very short interview, more like a chitchat session.

Any advice/comments: I was absolutely surprised when i got it, cos i always thought that without a perfect A level score, gettin a scholarship would b rather difficult. If anything, this shows tt cca involvements can compensate for not-so-perfect academic results. Be confident during the interview and if u have achievements in certain areas then prepare to expound on them so that the interviewers know u are a truly all-rounded individual.
monsterkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:37 PM   #36
sakura_candy

sakura_candy has a neutral reputation

after >10 interviews ~5 assessments, I finally got a scholarship! NIS: Oracle ^_^

One interview, no assessment. Overall I thought that was my best interview so far (and my second last), but right now I couldn't remember exactly how it went except that it left me feeling good. And that we talked about my SYF Indian Dance in secondary school Chinese DAnce (one of the interviewer was Indian ^^) which nobody else seemed to care about before.
sakura_candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:02 PM   #37
Zyvroklsayt

Zyvroklsayt has a neutral reputation

Gotta love LockT31W for the puns.. the Waffles JC one esp.

Scholarship awarded (if applicable): ASEAN Undergraduate Scholarship (NUS)
University and Course: NUS, Law/Life Science DD
Date and method of notification(s) of award: 2nd June (postmark), snail mail
School: Anderson JC
A-level grades: AAAAAA (H2-Bio-Chem-Maths, H1-GP-PW-Econs), Merit (H3-PharmChem-SRP)
CCAs and CIP: SBO Bronze, SChO Hon.Mention, AJ Choir member (competitions include 4th World Choir Games and SYF), and various other stuff...
Awards (i.e. MOE Pre-University Scholarship, NYAA): ASEAN Pre-U Schship, if that counts??

Date of shortlisting and interview: No interview. Some of my friends had interviews, same scholarship. No idea how the awarding is given.
Any advice/comments: I'm not another one of those 'demned foreen talens', but if there's any other ASEAN non-Sg/PR ppl reading, it'd be good to apply for other scholarships as well, because even though you're automatically considered for ASEAN Undergrad if you apply, 'automatically considered for' doesn't exactly equate 'automatically awarded'.

On another note: been reading the Unsuccessful thread as well, and I know it's useless for me to say anything as I'll probably get rotten-tomatoed as a foreigner. I can only say I feel sorry. That I should get something and others who are worse off than me should go with financial difficulties. I don't know what else I can say. I do earnestly hope that blessings may come in a different way.
PGP Resident (08/09, 09/10Sem1), Raffles Hall Resident (09/10Sem2)
Email: [email protected]

Rule 2 from The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates: "A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on."

Last edited by Zyvroklsayt; 06-12-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Zyvroklsayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:25 PM   #38
daasnia

daasnia has a neutral reputation
Send a message via MSN to daasnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemise89 View Post
I've heard of my friend's friend who've been awarded the teaching award already, as in he has been given the contract to sign.
Fast!
I received the teaching award too and was notified of the results via email less than 24 hours after I have gone for the interview. Was rather surprised because I do not even have a single distinction for my A levels!
daasnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:46 PM   #39
daasnia

daasnia has a neutral reputation
Send a message via MSN to daasnia

Scholarship awarded (if applicable):MOE Teaching Award Scholarship
University and Course:NUS, Arts and Social Sciences
Date and method of notification(s) of award:Email
School:Nanyang Junior College
A-level grades:H1 GP-B H1 Chemistry-B H2 Maths-B H2 Economics-B H2 Physics-C
CCAs and CIP (include leadership positions and achievements i.e. olympiads):President of Malay Language and Cultural Society, CCA Award Holder

How did your interview go?:It was pretty smooth sailing with some humour. I answered the questions honestly and in a way showed them that I wanted the scholarship and how much I think I deserve it.
Why do you think you were successful? I had a bit of teaching experience with 3 other schools before I went for the interview. Why I said that made me successful in getting the scholarship was because they kept asking me questions pertaining to my teaching experiences. Such as how I kept the students interested in the lesson and whether I made an impact on them or not.
Any advice/comments:Obviously you have to do a bit of research and preparation before you go for the interview. My advice is to be really sincere in your answers. All the best!
daasnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:46 PM   #40
vadermanu89

vadermanu89 has a neutral reputation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scholarship: MOE Teaching Scholarship (Local)
University and Course: NUS, Science (Chemistry and Physics)
Date and method of notification(s) of award: Late May via mail
School: MJC
A-level/Prelim grades: AAA ABC (H2 PhyChemMath, H1 PWGPHist) / AAB ABB (H2 PhyChemMath, H1 PWGPHist)
CCAs and CIP (include leadership positions and achievements i.e. olympiads): Debate Captain, Class Committee, Inter-JC Competitions (quaterfinals), Represented S'pore in Televised Debate Competition.
Awards (i.e. MOE Pre-University Scholarship, NYAA): Various School Academic and CCA Awards.

Date of shortlisting and interview: I submitted the form after my A Level Results, was shortlisted in April, and my psychometric assessment took place in April, while my interview took place in May. The offer came within 8 days after my interview.

How did your interview go?: A panel of 6 interviewers. Was rather short. Only 5 min long strangely. The questions posed were hypothetical questions on how you would deal with classroom matters and my own personal merits. Was quite nervous but spoke well.

1) Why did you select TEACHING as your first choice in the PSC Gateway portal?
2) Do you think you have the confidence to teach in front of a group of 40 kids?
3) What qualities do you have that will make you a fine educator?
4) Do you have any teaching/tutoring exp? (NO because of NS)

Why do you think you were successful? Eagerness to teach, excellent personal statement and good cca record.

Advice: Read and do some research about the organization/ministry you intend to work in. And only accept the offer if you truly wish to teach/work in the education sector. And I think the scholarship providers are looking for leaders hence build up an excellent cca portfolio that showcase your leadership potential.

Last edited by vadermanu89; 06-15-2008 at 05:13 PM.
vadermanu89 is offline   Reply With Quote