BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NTU
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #11
kuding

kuding has a neutral reputation

i think that the thing to note is that NTU offers a double degree (biomed science and TCM), whereas for NUS i'm not sure whether are u offered a double degree. so for NTU, as i mentioned, although the demand for tcm physicians is not that high but u can still fall on the science degree. but for nus, u wont have the TCM option, so in comparison, i'd say ntu gives a wider career option in the future.

however, i think that getting a science degree sort of carves out your career path already, coz u'r likely to work in lab environment or at least science-relevant field, some might opt for working in bio-tech company, but still, i dun think is logical to venture into finance/business stuff since is rather irrelevant to the science degree. anyway. for getting masters/phd, i think that would be very useful if u are considering to become a lecturer in poly/uni/jc or u are looking at owning our own research lab at A*star biopolis building.

as for doing medicine, i think if u are really set to do medicine, u really should juz focus on the possible ways of doing so, coz studying medicine and getting a science degree is really quite diff, medicine is definitely much tougher and this decision will affect the rest of your life, coz a doctor's life is blatantly quite arduous. so if u are looking at studying medicine, do ponder over it thoroughly b4 making the call. one other alternative is to get a science degree then enrol in a postgraduate medicine course (eg, DUKE-NUS medicine post graduate course), this will take longer though, 4 yr degree+5 yr post grad, at least 9 years. again it will be similar to the US MD system where u do a premed then MD degree.. so do consider wisely..
kuding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:10 PM   #12
lulu

lulu has a neutral reputation

haha alright thank you! i think i will just choose ntu ba! tcm still sounds more appealing than science.
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:50 PM   #13
rainbow22

rainbow22 has a neutral reputation

i just accepted this double degree! haha I had the choice of nus science as well!
rainbow22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #14
Allen Adam

Allen Adam has a neutral reputation
Default Seriously... Don't choose

In my opinion, there's is absolutely NO prospect in this course... It's neither here nor there... The workload is high and the amount of effort you put into this course is definitely not worth it(it's no easier than Med, Nus)... The biomedical part, is reduced such that it is not really a biomedical degree, and it's not v recognised till now... Up till today, the TCM deg is not even confirmed by the Singapore's own TCM board! They are still 'discussing'... The ppl in charge of setting up this double deg in my opinion, are highly irresponsible! And the future is bleak... DO NOT CHOOSE THIS COURSE! If you were thinking that this is an alternative to Medicine, it's NOT! so don't choose it coz u can't do Med... and seriously, nus sci or ntu single deg biological sci will be better than the biomed deg offered in this double deg if you intend to do research in future...

Speaking from experience...
Allen Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:52 PM   #15
kuding

kuding has a neutral reputation

oh. are u currently studying the course? but how would u be able to compare nus med and ntu TCM since i assume it's highly impossible for someone to have studied both, and u really sound quite vehement about NTU TCM course.. is there any other reason? juz curious though, i really vallue your opinion, but it does really sound a bit extreme and probably a bit biased, pls do correct me if i'm wrong.
kuding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:18 PM   #16
maydream

maydream has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuding View Post
oh. are u currently studying the course? but how would u be able to compare nus med and ntu TCM since i assume it's highly impossible for someone to have studied both, and u really sound quite vehement about NTU TCM course.. is there any other reason? juz curious though, i really vallue your opinion, but it does really sound a bit extreme and probably a bit biased, pls do correct me if i'm wrong.
im rather curious too.
maydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #17
svpam_ms

svpam_ms has a neutral reputation

I am unaware that NTU offers a degree in TCM.
svpam_ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #18
n_takumi
Super Moderator

n_takumi has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Adam View Post
In my opinion, there's is absolutely NO prospect in this course... It's neither here nor there... The workload is high and the amount of effort you put into this course is definitely not worth it(it's no easier than Med, Nus)... The biomedical part, is reduced such that it is not really a biomedical degree, and it's not v recognised till now... Up till today, the TCM deg is not even confirmed by the Singapore's own TCM board! They are still 'discussing'... The ppl in charge of setting up this double deg in my opinion, are highly irresponsible! And the future is bleak... DO NOT CHOOSE THIS COURSE! If you were thinking that this is an alternative to Medicine, it's NOT! so don't choose it coz u can't do Med... and seriously, nus sci or ntu single deg biological sci will be better than the biomed deg offered in this double deg if you intend to do research in future...

Speaking from experience...
Very good advice from senior (I presumed). Do consider again if you think this is Medicine alternative.
n_takumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:36 PM   #19
sourangel

sourangel has a neutral reputation

So would a degree in biomedical science be better or this double degree? I am pretty much confuse as well. I am thinking that if i do not like chinese medicine after i studied it, i still have the bachelor of science to back me up in other science aspect. Am i wrong? Or should i just study a single degree of bachelor of science?
sourangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #20
Yume92

Yume92 has a neutral reputation

please, could you clarify what you're saying and cite your sources? I was quite interested in this course but now you're making me feel quite uneasy about this.
Yume92 is offline   Reply With Quote